Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@wagirl wrote:

@rnmom --thanks--yes am very optimistic for my future at age 66---would have liked a different resolution but when you get thrown under the bus, either  you get dragged  or you drive the dang thing----I am in the drivers seat!!!Woman Wink

@wagirl - Good for you!

Respected Contributor

I, too, love reading about everyone's purging efforts, thanks to everyone for sharing!

Not much tossed here lately, my younger son did toss a shirt that was too small and too ratty to donate. My older son tossed some sort of charger that apparently didn't work, I just found it in his trash can.

Other than that, just the usual things, junk mail, etc. 

Honored Contributor

Not a huge purge here either, @rnmom ,  but I did finally round up and donate most of our old coffee mugs--  we had found some nice white lead-and-cadmium free mugs a while back, which were cramming and co-existing in the cupboard with the old ones, so now it's great to have a cupboard that breathes again. 

Love looking at the tidy rows of mugs in there now, ha.

We finally sorted some of my son's old textbooks from community college that we will be able to return to a distant campus bookstore for at least a nominal refund.  So much better than just ditching those expensive textbooks.  Although, sidebar, all three of us were so unimpressed by the content of the sociology and history books, we almost hate to inflict them on future students....  who on earth is writing this stuff?

I guess I've undercut my purging efforts--  our local antique store had a vintage silver plate tea service, for a low price, that I dithered and dithered over and then got.  I had really wanted just an antique silverplate tray, but this tray came with tea pot, sugar, creamer, and "waste bowl"  (which was used for putting the cold dregs of tea from the pot, in).

But they wouldn't break the set up, understandably, and the attractive price (plus the fact that they let me bargain them even lower) won out.  Old silverplate does tend to be a real bargain, as collectors know, and is wanted mainly for the vintage glamour, the patina and the ornate, sculptural shapes.

The lid for the sugar bowl was missing, but I didn't care-- I'm going to use them all for decor only!  I hate polishing, but I like a slightly distressed, slightly tarnished look to silver, so maybe that won't be more than a 2ce a year burden.... 

My thought process in adding to my "inventory" of decor:

1)  I love the shapes and the vintage air they bring.

2)  We have pretty much decided to have a yard sale in the spring--  I can always sell a few pieces of the set if it's just too much, no guilt.

Thank you for hearing my confession!   I do think long and hard these days before 'adding in' items.   

Trusted Contributor

I finally moved on Wednesday.  I'm still in the same development, but I'm in the larger 2 bedroom and am on the top floor.  No more living below someone who has never lived in an apartment before!  No more stomping around at 2 in the morning.Woman Tongue

So up to the last day, I was still dropping items off to our local thrift shop.  And, yikes, the closets are a bit smaller in this building, so I continue to purge.  Have a new pile that I will be dropping off again next week.

One of the movers was a young man, very nice and helpful.  I have a painting that I had purchased in Maine may years ago of a lighthouse.  Painted in shades of pink & blue, it was very pretty and hung in my dining room for a very long time.

The young man kept commenting on it, he really liked it, etc.  So when we came back to my old apartment to get a few more things, including the painting, he was about to take a picture of it.  I said "take it".  We went back and forth and I said I got to enjoy it for a long time and now I want to pass it unto someone who will love it as much as I have.  So he got a tip and a painting!  

@wagirl,

I wish you much luck & happiness!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl Sorry to hear about you and your husband....

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005, glad your move is done and now for the settling in part. That was so nice of you to gift the painting to the nice young man. I'm sure he is very pleased to have it.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@Oznell - I wouldn't worry at all about adding to your decor items. It does sound like you gave it a lot of thought before you made the purchase and it sounds like it will bring you a lot of joy and that's what this is all about. It's not about getting rid of everything that we have, but about keeping those things that are either useful or that we love and bring us joy! Sounds like a great purchase to me!

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005 - Congratulations on your move! It is such a big job, I'm really not looking forward to the day when we have to move again. I could just stay where I am forever but I'm pretty sure that sooner or later I will want to downsize and it will be a huge job.

What a nice gift giving the mover your painting. It sounds like he will truly enjoy it. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs ---thanks for your kind words----but not  a sad thing at all!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl ...got it!  

DH got left holidng the bag so to speak when his ex...out of the blue and after they bought a house that she wanted out....I am living in that house, grrr......