Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@Desert Lily wrote:

I have a cupboard with some crystal trays and platters in it. I planned on getting rid of 3-4 out of the 7. but when I took them out to wash them by hand first, I decided that they were too pretty to let go. 2 of the pieces were gifts that my mother had received for her wedding in the late 1940's, and I'd never part with them. In fact, I went on Etsy to see if I could find another complementary piece to add!

However, this week I will purge some dishes and serving pieces that I haven't used for several years.

Nothing wrong with keeping what you love!  Can you use some of the trays throughout your home?  Crystal trays would be great to display candles and other pretty things on end tables or dressers.

Respected Contributor

I just donated a bag of sweaters to a womens' shelter.

Respected Contributor

I read last year's purge thread, but never participated.  I have decided to join in this year.

I have three daughters and my goal is to get them to take their stuff out of this house!🤣

They are all married and they each have very nice larger houses now.  So it is high time to get this stuff out of here!  Closets full of old prom dresses, home coming dresses, yearbooks, stuffed animals, etc.

I did get three larger boxes and I am filling them with their things such as baby books, and yearbooks, etc.  I will have them take these as I fill them up.  Then I will pick up three more when I am at Costco, and fill them up too!  Eventually I will get them to take this stuff!🤣🤣

I need to do a kitchen/pantry/laundry room purge too.  I will post as I finally get items out of the house.  I have a small bag of sweaters my hubby no longer wears and a box of books.  Will get them to Goodwill this week.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Told my husband to come into his den - he looked bewildered and had no idea of what I was up to! Then I suggested that he decide if some things could be thrown out. He was quite cooperative.

• 8 clothing items from his closet
  • Computer printer not compatible with current laptop
  • Calendar

The only thing he wouldn't part with is a 3D Eiffel Tower puzzle he assembled last year. I love the den because it feels so spacious. Only contains a desk/chair, recliner, bookcase and a table (on which the Eiffel Tower sits).

Honored Contributor

I just threw away 2 of my husbands 4 coffee mugs.  That was hard to be honest.    They are ancient Tupperware mugs, couldn't donate them, but those Tupperware mugs were his favorites.  I kept the 2 that were in the best shape (which is a stretch) and have no plans to ever get rid of those.  I like having a few for sentimental sake, but I don't need 4.  And I don't drink coffee or tea.  I have about 6 nicer mugs if.....gee.... I'd ever have company and need them. 

I also just washed a pair of slipper sock thingies and put them in the Goodwill bag.  I used to love them, but I haven't worn them in 3 years.  I'm just not a slipper wearer.

I have very little to purge, but I just keep chipping away at it.  I keep going around the house opening each closet, cabinet and drawer every few days and giving thought to every single item. It gives me something to do, LOL.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Threw out a faux floral plant.  It had always looked nice in the bathroom; however, it was old and the leaves were falling off.  I had already bought a "replacement" so out with the old and in with the new.

My husband saves old jeans for dirty jobs.  BUT, he keeps saving and saving pairs!!!     So, I threw out 3 pairs of old, worn out , tight jeans  - he'll never know/he'll never miss them.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

Going through coat closet this week and we will donate coats we no longer wear. Going through toddler g-son's toy basket. Will clean and donate toys. I have little projects each month, as I think of it.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman - I also feel inspired to declutter and organize a bit this year. I haven't really felt like doing much at all this whole past year, and I'm feeling some inspiration for the first time in a very long time.  I like to come to this thread and read how others are doing, that gives me more encouragement and motivation also.

I have a friend who is moving in a couple of weeks and she said that she's called every thrift store near to her and can't find anyone to take her donations, including clothes, books, luggage. I'm not taking 15 totes of books, but I told her I'd look at her clothes and luggage and see if I can find somewhere here in my town that might be open for donations. If not I can hold them for her until a donation center opens. She has really nice things and I just hate to see it all to go trash. 

I haven't been to a thrift store in a few months, but they were open back 2-3 months ago. It's such a shame, there is such a need right now, you'd think they'd be eager to get as many items as they can. I will try to remember to call on Monday and see what I can find. 

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee -7 boxes, that's a lot! No wonder you don't have much to purge right now. Good job!

Respected Contributor

@Roscoe the Rascal - You sound exactly like me. I hope to organize every space this coming year too. I don't know how much I'll actually declutter, I mght just re-arrange and organize and find a better place to store something, but I'm hoping to find at least a few small things to eliminate.

I also have been flitting around so far this past week, doing a drawer here and a cupboard there. I should do one room at a time, but I haven't been, I just do a space when I happen to be there and I have the time.