Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

Happy New Year fellow purgers!

@rnmom : Thanks for starting a new thread bright and early in the New Year.

It's 1/1/21, so as per usual I will be starting in the kitchen- probably with the junk drawer, which is looking rather full and unorganized at the moment. Base cabinets will be next. 

After all these years of never-ending purging the process does get easier.

After living here for 2 years I will be adding the basement to my purge/ organization sometime before March 1st. That's a good job for the middle of winter.

Peter Walsh has posted on Facebook that he will not be doing the 31 days of purging this year as he is filming a new series Down Under, but you can find last years' on his YouTube channel or create your own 31 (or so) days of purging.

Looking forward to sharing our purging successes in the new year.

Welcome all newbies to this thread.

Esteemed Contributor

I threw out all moisturizers and other facial things I have not used all year. I was shocked at how many! 

Respected Contributor

We put new carpet in the entire upstairs in October so we had to empty the entire house! 

Living room, dining room, 3 bedrooms & all of the closets.

We put everything in the garage & as we did I sorted out what was not coming back into my house. 40 years worth. 

I had the kids sort through & take what they wanted & took the rest to Goodwill.

And, in every room I discovered more & more boxes of pictures. Thousands of pictures. Loose in boxes. I knew that I had a lot & it was a nagging thought in my head, but sooo many pictures.

My husband & I sorted through every picture. I gave my son & daughter tubs with their pictures (I wrote any date or name information I could on the back. With archival ink pens!). I sent a box of pictures to my nieces & nephews-I spent a lot of time copying pictures that had multiple family members, so that they each had a copy. 

I took pictures out of frames that no longer hang on the walls & I have so many frames to get rid of. 

My last big job will, hopefully, get finished today. We painted the house as we moved things out for carpet & my bathroom is the last room that needs to be painted.

It is not a big bathroom, but it is amazing how much stuff I can pack into a place! 

I will sort & purge all of that before I move it back into the bathroom & my house will be as clean & organized as I can make it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 Congratulations on a monumental job!  Great beginning for everyone...we all go at our own pace, and it is all progress.

I got more bins yesterday and cleared out my refrigerator.  Tossed a lot of stuff.  My goal is to keep it organized so stuff doesn't get "lost" and wasted.144AE775-493D-4189-9E18-BF71F652B4DB.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1 

Envy.  I know it took lots of effort and determination.  Congrats

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished up 2020 by taking a small shopping bag of "treasures" to Goodwill and to start the new year this morning I opened a new shopping bag and put one item in it.  Just added 12 acrylic drinking glasses to it. HAD to have them a few years ago....never used them, not even once.

8 small items are ready to go to consignment when they reopen tomorrow.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@rnmom  I like this thread and hope I earn chances to keep visiting.  So far in my donate bag - two sauce pan lids, a purse and a trinket box.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom 

I can't believe it's been four years!

Congratulations! Heart

One by one until they're done...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

@rnmom  I like this thread and hope I earn chances to keep visiting.  So far in my donate bag - two sauce pan lids, a purse and a trinket box.

@Sweet Caroline 1 You don't have to "earn" a spot here, my friend.  Every time you toss a piece of junk mail from your counter or throw away a sock with a hole, you are a winner in my book!  We all are works in progress!!

Respected Contributor

I have a cupboard with some crystal trays and platters in it. I planned on getting rid of 3-4 out of the 7. but when I took them out to wash them by hand first, I decided that they were too pretty to let go. 2 of the pieces were gifts that my mother had received for her wedding in the late 1940's, and I'd never part with them. In fact, I went on Etsy to see if I could find another complementary piece to add!

However, this week I will purge some dishes and serving pieces that I haven't used for several years.