Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

I have a large bag of Christmas decorations that I am going to donate to families in town. Should be finished by tomorrow. I also have a bag of clothes. 

Respected Contributor

@amyb - I don't do a lot of decorating for Christmas, but I do put up a tree and put out a few decorations. I'm actually hoping to get it done today because I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks. 

I have today off work and was going to putter on it all today, but my son said he wants to help so now I have to wait until he gets home from school. But I'll try to get the rest of the decorations out at least. Like you, I don't like things being in "progress" but it also happens to me sometimes too. 

Respected Contributor

Well, I had to pull some things back from my last declutter since family members didnt want some stuff whether colors didnt work or otherwise. So that was disappointing but I only pulled a few things back and the rest will go to donations. 

This weekend or maybe during the week if I have the energy, I am going to take a deep dive into the dvds and cds I have, especially the dvds.  I dont really reach for them so they are just collecting dust. Someone else can enjoy them. Hoping I can keep up my "determined" attitude once I begin to go through them. I am tired of going through them every once in a while so hopefully I can be done with them. 

I havent really put up many decorations for Christmas the last few years. Maybe just a wreath and some small things. I love to see the decorations as I drive around so I really appreciate those that still make the effort. 

Honored Contributor

@dunelady wrote:

Getting ready to put my house on the market, so....just about everything is going to Good Will or Habit for Humanity. I will keep just the basics to stage the house.

Try to sell it furnished since I live in a resort community. If that doesn't work, I will donate everything to the Habit for Humanity, except for personal items.

It is quite a task since I lived here for over 20 years and have accumulated lots of STUFF.

More to come..as the realtors give me their opinions of my work.

@dunelady 

First, welcome! 

Second, that's a great way to move--letting everything go with the house.  We sold my parent's home completely furnished.  (They also had lived there for 20 years.)  I was sure that no one would want any of their stuff and we'd be stuck trying to give it away, but the people that bought it were thrilled it was included.  It was going to be a vacation home for them before they decided to move permanently, so they appreciated not having to buy everything new.  With you living in a resort community, I'm sure your situation will be similar.  

Good luck with your move!🤞

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, I had to pull some things back from my last declutter since family members didnt want some stuff whether colors didnt work or otherwise. So that was disappointing but I only pulled a few things back and the rest will go to donations. 

This weekend or maybe during the week if I have the energy, I am going to take a deep dive into the dvds and cds I have, especially the dvds.  I dont really reach for them so they are just collecting dust. Someone else can enjoy them. Hoping I can keep up my "determined" attitude once I begin to go through them. I am tired of going through them every once in a while so hopefully I can be done with them. 

@aprilskies  You might have seen me mention this before, but Dvds, cds, books were always very welcome at my mom's assisted living where they played music shows, and movies, daily and nightly, and had a library...they always appreciated donations as the more variety the better.

Honored Contributor

At the beginning of the month, I ran across a favorite handbag that has truly seen better days.  I know it needs to go in the trash, but putting it there has not been easy.   This bag was just very special.   

So my decision 30 days ago was to put this handbag in a place I see numerous times a day and work thru my attachment, with a final decision made by the end of day today.   During the course of this month, I have picked this bag up twice, looked it over, hung it on my shoulder, and easily laid it down and walked away.   

I just took a picture of the bag and then threw it in the garbage bag my husband was taking to the garage.   I'm over it.   

Respected Contributor

I did get my Christmas tree up yesterday and I think it's very pretty, I really like how it looks, so it was worth the time it took.

I also got out my handful of other decorations, which really isn't much. A few towels, a table cloth and centerpiece, a couple of small things to hang on the wall, a couple other small odds and ends. Plus of course my nativity set and stockings hanging on the mantle. That is about it. Done until it all comes back down.

I have purged my Christmas items quite a bit over the years and while I have a lot, it's mostly to decorate the tree in different colors. I don't have a lot of other decorations left anymore and I'm fine with that. Unless the kids decide they want something for their rooms I  don't expect to anything new.   

Respected Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies  You might have seen me mention this before, but Dvds, cds, books were always very welcome at my mom's assisted living where they played music shows, and movies, daily and nightly, and had a library...they always appreciated donations as the more variety the better.

@amyb, yes, I have tried several times over the last 20 months to find a home for them other than thrift stores but have had no luck.  It was always one reason or another that they couldn’t accept them.  After you mentioned it, I tried again with no luck.  It is amazing how hard it has been to give this stuff away.  Even my collectibles get no traction which isn’t surprising since they are worthless. But I figured for them a senior home would appreciate them.  I was wrong.  This virus has changed everything. 

I gave a whole slew of them to the library for their books sale, I was just hoping to give the rest to a different place that would appreciate them.  However, I will give it one more go and then out they go.  

Thank you, @amyb 

Honored Contributor

I really can't say I've purged anything of late, other than the odd worn-out or broken item, which I can't even remember now, lol.
But, I was wondering if everyone is finding the same as I am, since working to declutter and purge unnecessary or unwanted items from our homes, do you find when you go out shopping that you simply aren't buying much if anything, that isn't a necessity?
I went shopping the other day and just wandered through some stores looking at whatever was on the shelves (and they were well-stocked), but just didn't find anything (other than socks to replace some of those I have tossed due to holes, lol).
Are you finding the same to be true for yourselves?
I used to love a shopping trip where I could just pick up some things "just because", those days are gone, which is not a bad thing, IMO.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snicks1 

I rarely buy anything for my own home, but I do shop for items that I use in gift baskets for silent auction donations.  It's quite satisfying knowing everything will be given away. 

I've also used a lot of my own stash for those baskets.  I really got rid of a lot of stuff in the last year.  But, I still have plenty!

@rnmom 

Yesterday I delivered a box to the Thrift Store with two sets of decorative plates and two very nice cherrywood wall shelves for hanging said plates.  So happy to have them off the walls and not gathering dust.

In the process of redesigning our front entrance, I realized I had tired of seeing those plates on the wall.  They were pretty enough, but looked "dated" and just gathered dust.  They were floral and someone will love them, I know.

The other set was cats and...since I no longer have cats, it made me sad to look at them.  They were beautiful, but now going home to another cat lover.

Felt relief getting those things out of the house!

Also, a dozen unworn tee-shirts.  Bought them for sleeping in and they caused so much static I couldn't stand it.  

I buy cotton ones now.  No static!

My donation box stays ready and I find that is what keeps me motivated!