Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

Nothing makes your possessions seem less important than when it's time to pack and move them, LOL.

2 shopping bags of treasures to Goodwill yesterday and there was something else bulky that I took but I can't remember what.

I took another small shopping bag of things this afternoon along with 2 large Luminara lanterns and an Igloo cooler that has never been used.

I already have another bag started and have also decided to donate a floor lamp which is still in good shape, I actually had it before I got married, but I never use it (my husband did) and I can't really think of a use for it so it's going to Goodwill tomorrow along with the 2 extra lightbulbs in have for it (it's a weird lightbulb size). 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh - Isn't it amazing, when we start going thru our possessions, to discover how many items we have that have never even been used? I know I find that. Even when I'm trying to be careful about what I purchase, and have the best intentions, I will buy things and then never use them. I wonder why we do that? 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

We buy things that we do not really need for our 'imaginary' life ! I have bought Fiesta dinner ware like a true fiend !!  Since Covid struck I have added more to my hoard. We DO NOT entertain any more. So why would I need 34 dinner plates in various colors and MANY assorted bowls, platters etc ? So I have been currating the collection. I haul it out...admire it a little then pack it up and donate. I am now down to less than a quarter of my previous stash. Reading this forum has given me the guts to admit that I do not NEED this amount of dinner ware ! Oh I still LOVE dishes ! But now my motto is  "admire but do not acquire !" Thank you everyone in this group ! Here's to next year and more thinning of the 'herd'. Bless you all !!  HeartHeartHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@chessielady 

Many of us love beautiful dishes, myself included.

A few years back, I donated a full set of Lenox dishes with cardinals.  I think it was place settings for 4.  I had never used them.

I've given away many dishes in the interim and more to go.  Like you, we no longer entertain, so many things go unused.  It's just crazy.  I have no idea what I was thinking.

You should be proud of yourself for being willing to let go of some of those dishes. Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@chessielady wrote:

We buy things that we do not really need for our 'imaginary' life ! I have bought Fiesta dinner ware like a true fiend !!  Since Covid struck I have added more to my hoard. We DO NOT entertain any more. So why would I need 34 dinner plates in various colors and MANY assorted bowls, platters etc ? So I have been currating the collection. I haul it out...admire it a little then pack it up and donate. I am now down to less than a quarter of my previous stash. Reading this forum has given me the guts to admit that I do not NEED this amount of dinner ware ! Oh I still LOVE dishes ! But now my motto is  "admire but do not aquire !" Thank you everyone in this group ! Here's to next year and more thinning of the 'herd'. Bless you all !!  HeartHeartHeart

@chessielady 

Ooh!  I like that! 👍

Honored Contributor

I purged a few small things today as I took down the Christmas decorations.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@chessielady wrote:

We buy things that we do not really need for our 'imaginary' life ! I have bought Fiesta dinner ware like a true fiend !!  Since Covid struck I have added more to my hoard. We DO NOT entertain any more. So why would I need 34 dinner plates in various colors and MANY assorted bowls, platters etc ? So I have been currating the collection. I haul it out...admire it a little then pack it up and donate. I am now down to less than a quarter of my previous stash. Reading this forum has given me the guts to admit that I do not NEED this amount of dinner ware ! Oh I still LOVE dishes ! But now my motto is  "admire but do not aquire !" Thank you everyone in this group ! Here's to next year and more thinning of the 'herd'. Bless you all !!  HeartHeartHeart

@chessielady 

Ooh!  I like that! 👍

@geezerette @chessielady - Me too!

Respected Contributor

I got a new set of T-fal pans for Christmas so I washed them and put them away. I got a small set a couple of years ago that are actually in pretty good shape, so I put those in the box the new set came in and put them downstairs for now as back ups. I want to see if we will use some of them in the camper next summer so I'm saving them for now.

I did set aside 3 pans and 3 lids to donate that aren't a part of any set, just separates that we don't care for.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

This morning I dug into a box of as my Mom would say..."doo-dads" . I had wrapped them  all up carefully in bubble wrap a few years ago.. I unwrapped each and every item. I brought back a few memories and some laughs and some tears. My kids would not want a single item. So I separated the things that I just can't give up.....yet. And the rest are finding their way to new homes. One of the things that I kept was a small tea set that I acquired on a trip to London several years ago. Would you believe that I hauled those things all the way home in a carry-on tucked under my seat. All were wrapped well and made it home with nary a chip ! So this afternoon I shall have my tea in an extremely fashionable style !! I decided to use them each and every day and remember my adventure. So I now have cleared out one more "cubby" of STUFF !! As is said "Onward and upward !"

Be well all and have a great New Year !!Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

My house closing is tomorrow at 9:00. Can I just share with you how nervous I am, LOL.

In a few minutes I'm going to pack my car with the first load of stuff I plan on taking over there right after the closing.  

My cleaning ladies were going to come and do a light cleaning over there to get rid of the construction dust.  However, they both tested positive for Covid, so I'll be doing that myself. Glad they both have very light symptoms and are on the back end of it and glad that I was nowhere near them when they were infectious.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?