Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

I'm donating lots and lots of clothing items, some sporting goods and a few odds and ends type things.  Have a pick up time scheduled.  I'm very thankful to have found an organization to come to me.  

I'll add to the pile of items if I come across more things to donate.

Esteemed Contributor

Working on gift wrapping followed by baking next week..

The only purging has been starting a new Donate bag with 2 pairs of pants.

Respected Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I really can't say I've purged anything of late, other than the odd worn-out or broken item, which I can't even remember now, lol.
But, I was wondering if everyone is finding the same as I am, since working to declutter and purge unnecessary or unwanted items from our homes, do you find when you go out shopping that you simply aren't buying much if anything, that isn't a necessity?
I went shopping the other day and just wandered through some stores looking at whatever was on the shelves (and they were well-stocked), but just didn't find anything (other than socks to replace some of those I have tossed due to holes, lol).
Are you finding the same to be true for yourselves?
I used to love a shopping trip where I could just pick up some things "just because", those days are gone, which is not a bad thing, IMO.

@Snicks1 - I hadn't been buying a lot of items "just because" until the pandemic hit. I have never really worried about running out of anything because I could always just run to the store and buy something if I truly needed it. 

But over the last 20 months there have been so many things that I haven't been able to purchase when I wanted them, everyhing from the infamous toilet paper, to bread, to chicken, to paper plates, and many other items, so unfortunately, I have been buying "just in case" because there are some things that I just don't want to run out of.

I'm trying not to go overboard, but I do have extra bed sheets, bath towels, socks, etc. Not a lot, but maybe one extra set. And I haven't been getting rid of as much as I used to because now I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a replacement if I want it. I haven't noticed any problems at all lately, but I keep hearing these horror stories about the supply chain crisis, all the ships backed up, etc. and it just makes me hesitant to get rid of something I might not be able to replace. 

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Snicks1 

I rarely buy anything for my own home, but I do shop for items that I use in gift baskets for silent auction donations.  It's quite satisfying knowing everything will be given away. 

I've also used a lot of my own stash for those baskets.  I really got rid of a lot of stuff in the last year.  But, I still have plenty!

@rnmom 

Yesterday I delivered a box to the Thrift Store with two sets of decorative plates and two very nice cherrywood wall shelves for hanging said plates.  So happy to have them off the walls and not gathering dust.

In the process of redesigning our front entrance, I realized I had tired of seeing those plates on the wall.  They were pretty enough, but looked "dated" and just gathered dust.  They were floral and someone will love them, I know.

The other set was cats and...since I no longer have cats, it made me sad to look at them.  They were beautiful, but now going home to another cat lover.

Felt relief getting those things out of the house!

Also, a dozen unworn tee-shirts.  Bought them for sleeping in and they caused so much static I couldn't stand it.  

I buy cotton ones now.  No static!

My donation box stays ready and I find that is what keeps me motivated!

@Witchy Woman - I have some decorative plates that I used to hang on the wall with Yorkies on them, because I had one for almost 16 years. She's been gone for a bit now and I have packed up the plates and put them away in a tote downstairs. I gave the shelves away a bit ago, but just can't bring myself to part with the plates. If I had to see them every day I'm sure it would make me sad too, so I'm glad you did what was best for you, There's no reason to look at something in your house everyday that makes you sad. 

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

At the beginning of the month, I ran across a favorite handbag that has truly seen better days.  I know it needs to go in the trash, but putting it there has not been easy.   This bag was just very special.   

So my decision 30 days ago was to put this handbag in a place I see numerous times a day and work thru my attachment, with a final decision made by the end of day today.   During the course of this month, I have picked this bag up twice, looked it over, hung it on my shoulder, and easily laid it down and walked away.   

I just took a picture of the bag and then threw it in the garbage bag my husband was taking to the garage.   I'm over it.   

@RedTop - it's hard to part with things sometimes.  Like you did, I sometimes find that taking a picture and keeping the picture on my phone and iPad is enough and that I don't need the item anymore. Sometimes, after awhile, I am able to delete the picture, but not always.  it's hard though, isn't it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, I'm going to wander all over a little here, LOL.

First, because I post here about it the most, the closing on my new house is still set for 12/30.  They've been really working a ton at my house and it's starting to look like a real house now and not just this framed thing that I wander through in the cold quickly every few days and, to be honest, feel absolutely no attachment to (like it's someone else's house) and then I come home. 

The walls are up now and have the first coat of paint on them.  The kitchen and bathroom cabinets are in.  Late last week they installed the counter tops and all the light fixtures and fans and light switches and outlet covers and door stops.  That was huge. When I walked through then, it felt good to look at the choices I made and to still like everything I picked, 6 months after the selections.  They turned the electricity on Thursday I believe.

They still have a ton left to do.  They ran out of tile for the master shower near the end and it's back ordered so fingers crossed on that.  Furnace and a/c need to go in.  Faucets, appliances, shelving, kitchen backsplash, mirrors, garage door,  master closet system.  Flooring and carpet need to be installed. They did do the landscaping last week and it looks like AT&T and Comcast came and did their inside wiring on Friday. 

So, in terms of decluttering, I just want to say that I'm really proud of myself and I don't give praise to myself often. This morning, on a whim, I decided to pack the office.  It is 80% packed and took less than 10 minutes.  I just have to pack the books in the small bookshelf.  That will take 2 minutes.  I also packed the almost empty upstairs guest room in under 2 minutes.  With the exception of the master bedroom and kitchen which will take a little longer, I really don't think it's going to be that big a deal.  And that is a result of the massive amount of effort I've put in through the years and live lean, well as lean as possible.

Week after next, my favorite consignment store is coming to do a Facebook Live from our house, to try to sell some of the furniture and odds and ends that I am not taking.  I'm kind of nervous about that.  If no one wants ANYTHING, I'll be sad, LOL.  

I am very emotional about moving (but had absolutely no emotion about packing this morning).  It is very hard to leave the house my husband and I worked so hard to get and we just loved it here.  But it is the right decision logistically and I am hoping that a new, smaller setting (but still only a mile away) will jump start me some and give me a fresh start and make me look forward to that fresh start.  Even after almost a year and a half, I struggle with the loss.  To say that it's life changing is so cliche, but it is.  And I just want to be able to right the ship and move forward. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now, for something fun.  One of my very favorite possessions is the Elfa gift wrap system from The Container Store.  One of my favorite purchases ever. I have a closet to move it to in my new house, but it's going to take up a lot of space in that closet.  The other day in our office, I was able to decide not to take a 3 drawer acrylic stackable drawer on wheels thing (not sterilite) and to also not take a very small sterilite thing that I keep new greeting cards in.  So, I took a look over at the gift wrap thing and thought hmmmmm....

So, I bought a Scout wrapping paper holder and then this 8 drawer thing on wheels from The Container Store.  I'll be able to sell my Elfa gift wrap thing (I hope) and by getting rid of it, the acrylic stackable drawer thing and the sterilite container, I will have consolidated the contents from all those together into just these items.  It may not sound like much, but it's a substantial downsize and won't take up much room in the storage closet. So, while I had to buy 2 new items, the end result makes it worth it. 

E507D743-EB9B-43F6-B98E-5E6130B8F540.jpeg

97B9F801-F8DC-481C-9112-D58A0D339B17.jpeg

Super Contributor

Believe it or not, I just discovered this topic!!   I am a minimalist and purge all kinds of items and clothing on an almost monthly basis.   I am OCD about cleaning and decluttering and get a euphoric feeling everytime I drop off a bag or box to Amvets or St. Luke's church which is a local organization that helps those in need.  I made a drop off about a week ago which included some old Christmas decorations in great condition, packages of brand new Hanes undershirts and very nice dress pants,  that my husband cannot wear since he lost 70 lbs. after his stroke, kitchen utensils, leggings, dvd's, brand new toothbrushes that we get everytime we visit the dentist, window candles, decorative pillows, and small nicknacks.   We have a 1400 sq. ft. ranch home and as I've gotten older, I dislike any and all clutter.  Even my quartz kitchen countertop has only my Cuisinart coffee maker, my paper towel holder and my wine opener on it.  The minute we're done with the toaster, that gets put away in the cabinet!   It's only the 3 of us and even my furniture is simple and not oversized.  I should mention that our son is in a wheelchair and since my husband's stroke, he needs a transport chair and cane so I really need to keep the house accessible!  I know I'm really over the top with this obsession, but I feel calm and organized this way.  I'm so glad others share my quirkiness and so glad I found this topic!!  Reva

Honored Contributor

@Reva wrote:

Believe it or not, I just discovered this topic!!   I am a minimalist and purge all kinds of items and clothing on an almost monthly basis.   I am OCD about cleaning and decluttering and get a euphoric feeling everytime I drop off a bag or box to Amvets or St. Luke's church which is a local organization that helps those in need.  I made a drop off about a week ago which included some old Christmas decorations in great condition, packages of brand new Hanes undershirts and very nice dress pants,  that my husband cannot wear since he lost 70 lbs. after his stroke, kitchen utensils, leggings, dvd's, brand new toothbrushes that we get everytime we visit the dentist, window candles, decorative pillows, and small nicknacks.   We have a 1400 sq. ft. ranch home and as I've gotten older, I dislike any and all clutter.  Even my quartz kitchen countertop has only my Cuisinart coffee maker, my paper towel holder and my wine opener on it.  The minute we're done with the toaster, that gets put away in the cabinet!   It's only the 3 of us and even my furniture is simple and not oversized.  I should mention that our son is in a wheelchair and since my husband's stroke, he needs a transport chair and cane so I really need to keep the house accessible!  I know I'm really over the top with this obsession, but I feel calm and organized this way.  I'm so glad others share my quirkiness and so glad I found this topic!!  Reva

@Reva - welcome!  And great job.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a great idea to take photos of items that are close to your heart but you are donating, etc.  I will be doing some of that in a few weeks.  I haven't tried it before and hope that I don't wind up regretting it, but sometimes you have to let things go.