Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

Kbeans...take your time with your son's things.  Grief takes it's own path, sometimes we have to wait for the right time to let things go.  Don't put any pressure on yourself; you will know when the time is right.

Esteemed Contributor

@rnmom gas prices are really starting to become a problem.  I am seeing the prices go up each week and premium gas is very high now.  It has definitely made me rethink how I am driving and if I can consolidate errands on one outing.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Made a couple of trips down to the basement this morning. Did a quick look to see what could go to the charity thrift store today. Packed a box full, including Pfaltzgraff Winterberry dinner plates and matching candle lamp and Thanksgiving candle that was a hostess gift- never used. I know the store is displaying Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas items right now.

I also took a quick visual inventory of Christmas gift wrap, ribbons, bows, etc. Should not need to buy anything, which is good considering choices to purchase on most everything are limited.

Yesterday I made my annual trek to the nursery that sells the most beautiful, unique and well-priced Christmas tree ornaments that I give as gifts. Their stock must be on a container ship somewhere. Stock was super limited. What they did bring in new was understandably about triple in price. Old stock was marked way down, so I bought 6 items for $24.00. a real bargain. I also looked quickly in my basement to see what ornaments I stocked up on last year. Fortunately, I have a lot.

I feel sorry for the small business as they serve both individuals and professional decorators and landscapers. They depend on Christmas / winter decor sales to hold them over through the winter months. I was told that they are not expecting much, if any additional stock in the next month. Sad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman 

@GingerPeach 

Ah, yes. The dreaded spice cabinet. I usually go through mine once a year and throw out the expired ones. I like to buy and use fresh spices for all the fall, holiday, and winter baking I do and share with family and friends. 

@Witchy Woman 

@rnmom 

Shelves can definitely encourage you to keep too much stuff, but sometimes there's no better option. 

We have several sturdy metal shelves up against the walls in the unfinished part of our basement and garage. My husband likes to keep lots of things. I don't think he'll ever purge any of it so at least his things are on the shelves instead of the floor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in the process of going through my clothes to see if there's anything I want to get rid of and donate or sell. 

I do a major closet purge twice a year. In the Fall I get rid of Spring & Summer items I didn't wear or don't want anymore. In the Spring I do the same with Fall & Winter clothes. 

We still haven't cleaned out the garage. I want to do that before October ends. I know there are things in there that need to be thrown out and others could be donated. I'm going to ask my husband to help me do that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma 

Ahhh, you should see my husband's garage/warehouse.

He is a builder and has every tool known to mankind in triplicate and then some.  It's awe inspiring if you like that kind of thing.

Floor to ceiling shelving in a huge, bus-sized bay and...it has spread on to the floor and everywhere.  So disorganized I don't know how he finds anything.  He says he knows where everything is.  Sure.

I can't look at it without hyperventilating Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman 

I can definitely relate. 

My husband has some tools, but most of his stuff is old electronics. There are boxes and boxes of cords, assorted parts, and odds and ends. He is a retired electrical engineer so he loves that stuff. He just can't part with it.

Now that his stuff is mostly boxed and shelved I can deal with it better. What drives me crazy is when he opens a box, gets parts and pieces out, and then doesn't put them back. I find those things lying all around the house. 

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@gidgetgh I understand how much that hurts to remove your loved ones items from your home and life.  It feels like the connection and bond is being broken, even though they are in our hearts and in memories.  

@Snoopp - you nailed it.  I just keep ripping that bandaid off and I hate it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@gidgetgh I understand how much that hurts to remove your loved ones items from your home and life.  It feels like the connection and bond is being broken, even though they are in our hearts and in memories.  

@Snoopp - you nailed it.  I just keep ripping that bandaid off and I hate it.

@gidgetgh 

@Snoopp 

Exactly.  💔❤️

Esteemed Contributor

The never-ending clothing purge continues.

A large trash bag full loaded in the car going to a new clothing thrift store in the morning. There are still 7 (!) coats ready to go soon to another store.

Today I went through bins of Linea by Louis Dell Olio Whisper Knit sweaters and cashmere sweaters. Two cashmere sweaters are in the donate bag. There will probably be more later as I did not take the time to try anything on. Sadly, I must part with most of my WKs. There will be at least 2 full loads to wash. I will try to sell these.

I think I have gone through most, if not all of my fall/winter clothes . The cold and damp weather is expected to arrive this weekend and it's likely the end of shirt sleeves for the next 6 months.