Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@Snoopp:  The cart is HSN 521-569.  $170.00 + $10.00 s/h plus another $12.00 or so in tax. Almost $200.00 total (!)  I picked it up for $8.00.

Also from the same house I got an Origami tall 4-shelf unit for the garage, NIB Shark steam mop with extra pads and NIB Campanelli duster set: $30.00 for the 3 items

I think it was cleaning out an estate and the person having the sale did not know the value of the items. 

I am an avid thrift store and garage sale shopper when I am not at home decluttering, LOL!

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies -Ugh, I hate paperwork too. It is the worst. I have a stack to sort thru and file too, I've been putting it off for ages.

My old shredder died a few months back and I bought a smaller, cheaper replacement and I don't like it at all. So what I always disliked I hate even more now. I need to get a bigger, nicer one next time I'm out at Walmart or Meijer. 

Respected Contributor

Two more magazines and 2 large boxes to the recycle bin yesterday. 

Esteemed Contributor

Donated my 3 year old 8x10 rug to ReStore this morning. Glad to have it out of the house and out of the car where it has lived for most of this month. Perfectly good condition; I just felt it made the LR look too dark. Everything in the room looked brown or beige, except the art. Opted for a new rug in ivory, which I like but don't love. It's an improvement for now.

A pair of loafers to the Donate bag. A the end of this week several larger items will be moving out of my garage and going to DS's new house. Looking forward to that.

Esteemed Contributor

Purged some items from my secondary pantry set up during lockdown. Tossed a small bag. I have to check expiration dates on some items to see if they will be donated or tossed as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

@wilma   That was very thoughtful of you.

@Snoopp 

Thanks. I've been meaning to donate my older guitar for a few years, but I just kept putting it off. I think it was because it was the first guitar I ever purchased for myself. I saved money for a long time to buy it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva   what a buy you got!!!

Respected Contributor

@queendiva That is all such great advice and a very practical, manageable "plan of attack!" I too need to get the hard tasks done morning or early afternoon.

Good luck @SeaMaiden ~ "short, consistent effort will get the task done." I second that! You'll get there!

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

What I often have trouble deciding is whether or not anyone nowadays would even want my donations, whatever they are, even in excellent condition.

There are so many dollar stores, pay as you go, rent to own places now that the people that used to be delighted to get our unwanted stuff now aren't interested.  They can get brand new instead.  And very often they already have a newer version of my old 'whatever' already anyway!

@geezerette,. Well you are right of course.  Yesterday I went and dropped off another slew of dvds to the library so they can resell. While there, I noticed they were having a book sale so I went to check it out.  I looked at the dvds and they were selling for a buck for one and you got 2 free.  Basically giving them away. I didn’t see anyone buying dvds either.  However, today I will be taking a look at the remaining dvds with a brutal eye and cull more while I can. No one wants these types of things anymore. 

So, yesterday I took another two big containers of dvds to the library and I threw out some products I just didn’t enjoy using.  I tried to use but was reminded why I dont reach for them. I didn’t do as much as I wanted this weekend but it is all good.  

@aprilskies If you have any Assisted Living places in your area, they often will take dvd, even VHS! My mom's assisted living did...they had a room where they played movies for residents every night...they used dvds and vhs movies, and welcomed the donations as they said the more variety in their collection, the less they repeat for these folks. I believe these places will be better than the library where it didn't seem, as you said anybody wanted them...at the assisted living, at least the one my mom was at, they actually DID want them.

Respected Contributor

Finally getting the motivation to do a bit of puttering around here. 

My son returned a library book to the school that he had here since the pre covid lockdown. They were just now asking for it back after a year and a half. Luckily we were able to find it easily on the bookcase for him to return.

My other son has one to take back next week too, we found it on his bookcase and my hubby took 3 back to his school classroom too. 

Added another small comic book, a clarinet music book and 2 masks to the donate pile. 

My older son and I straightened up his bedroom a bit yesterday and found just a couple things to go. 2 really dirty bed/throw type pllows got tossed and were replaced with pillows from the basement couch that were like new. He didn't want to get rid of them but besides being filthy and not knowing how to clean them, they were ripping out too.

A couple of empty boxes got tossed, along with some papers and the usual small odds and ends that accumulate in a teenagers room. He didn't have a lot to go, but I wanted to clear some space for him to do school work, etc. Like everything, every flat surface was just getting covered in "stuff". Now it's at least a big neater for him. 

Mainly I've just been tossing a lot of items that are trashed including: a pair of underwear with holes, a ripped pillowcase, a pair of slippers with holes worn thru. It just seems like everything here is wearing out, ripping out, falling apart, from clothes to furniture. I feel like I need to go on a whole house shopping spree and replenish everything. Everything is trashed. 

I am actually starting to make a list of things that I would like to purchase for the house and for ourselves and I will probably start plugging away on it in the next month or so. There are some things that I want to replace but I won't as long as I have the dogs, but I want to start looking around and getting some ideas. I like shopping online, but not in stores, so I don't "shop" for household items any more than I have to.