Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@queendiva, good for you. I did that same thing last year.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I cleaned up a few items stored in the garage over the weekend.  I needed to do this for months and finally forced myself to do it.  They are ready to be donated to the church later this week.  It was a difficult thing to do but I at least faced it and did it.  So that will free up a little garage space too.  

I am having trouble finding a place to pick up donations.  The last place I used isn't picking up in my area at this time.  

My paperwork is overflowing as usual.  I will shred some today.  

I should look at some shoes soon too.  There is just so much to do here.

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I've been checking my bathroom cabinets and tossing a few things; an eye cream so far gone that the remainder wouldn't come out, a spray that wouldn't spray without leaking all over, a couple of others. They went into the trash for tomorrow morning's pickup. I stashed some never-ending cardboard in my car for today when I was in that part of town taking by brother for a medical appointment, dropped that off. It's not much, but every little bit counts, right, lol.

@Snicks1 

Oh man, I hate those!  I always feel like I got cheated because I can't use the entire bottle!😠

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Going kinda Marie Kondo with this week's purges: by category.

Yesterday it was shoes. Today: bras. I found myself wearing the same few on repeat and not even opening the drawer that housed the rest.  Purged well over a dozen bras. Some for trash, some to donate that are NWT or show almost no wear. I know my Goodwill will take them. Two new ones are being returned to Macy's as my purge revealed that I have enough in my new size . I left two more out to try on later.  Also- no more underwire or Breezies bras. Just too uncomfortable.

Yesterday I tossed some old and/or too large undies and replaced with new that I picked up at the Jockey outlet a while back. At my age I have decided that life is too short to wear old, cheap, uncomfortable or ill-fitting undergarments. All were replaced at very good sale prices. I should be good for a while. One less thing to do.

@queendiva 

And what if you got into an accident?  😂

Yes, the older I get the more I turn into my mother.😉

(Not necessarily a bad thing.❤️)

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette : "old" is a subjective term, and uncomfortable, ill-fitting, cheap, etc. can and often do come in new and pretty. Never worried about who will see me at the accident site or energency room. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Still on the hunt for things to declutter, yesterday I took a look, again, at home decor items, or as I have always called them, "setty around stuff". 

Off to consignment went a small Fenton hobnail pitcher, 2 Pottery Barn candleholders and 2 small framed prints. 

I also took them a new in box, small white noise machine thingie.  I bought it, charged it, turned it on, and I, being serious here, would not be able to sleep with the noise, LOL.  Whether set on gentle rain, birds chirping, fan, whatever, I was aware that it was fake noise never ending and wouldn't sleep with it.  So it went also. 

I don't have a lot of home decor things...setty around stuff....and I think yesterday's purge will be the only one.

Last night I went to the kitchen and put 2 dishtowels in the Goodwill bag along with 4 melamine salad plates that are very pretty but I don't think I'll ever use them.  I also had 2 sets of salad servers so I'm donating one.  Also donating a large serving spoon.  A few flameless candles, that had been in the candleholders I took to consignment, are going to Goodwill also.

I threw away the heating pad my husband used.  It was in good enough shape, but looking at it made me sad (he used it on his back every day) and I didn't want to donate it so I threw it away. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

It sounds like you're making great progress.  I think having a goal or deadline, like moving into your new home, helps the motivation to get serious.

I know what you mean about tossing husband's things instead of donating. I did that with several of my husband's items.  They just brought up so many memories that I didn't like the idea of anyone else using the items.  I still have some of those type of things and I'm sure eventually I'll get rid of them too.  Sometimes it just takes time to be able to handle that task.❤️

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I returned to work on Monday and boy do I miss being home! I got a lot done for sure. I see that now. 

At work, I ransacked my desk drawers and my locker.

I discarded 2 pair old Skechers. There was nothing wrong with them. They were comfortable shoes I sometimes changed in to when my feet were tired or wet. I was skeeved that they were at work for 18 months. Dusty looking. In the trash they went.

I sifted through my work makeup. This is stuff that I either really like or products I was not so happy about but  use there. There was a lot! I dumped most of it and kept  3 kits that contain most everything you need at work. Lipsticks and lotions were also discarded. I'll bring in some additional cosmetics as I move forward.

I also got rid of papers that are not longer relevant to what's going on now. Old pens and pencils gone. 

I also had cans of Pelligrino and bottled water. The expiration 

dates we're over a year so I put them out too. Tea bags, sugar and condiments...out. 
My desk looks so empty! I like it that way. I wonder for how long?

Respected Contributor

Everyone is doing such a great job decluttering! I haven't done a darn thing in a couple of weeks now. I've been feeling a little under the weather and just can't get motivated to do anything other than routine stuff around the house.

Yesterday I flipped thru a magazine and put it in the recycle bin. The magazine rack is getting really full and needs to be culled. I'll try to get thru a few more over the next couple of days. That's about all I feel up to right now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@gidgetgh 

It sounds like you're making great progress.  I think having a goal or deadline, like moving into your new home, helps the motivation to get serious.

I know what you mean about tossing husband's things instead of donating. I did that with several of my husband's items.  They just brought up so many memories that I didn't like the idea of anyone else using the items.  I still have some of those type of things and I'm sure eventually I'll get rid of them too.  Sometimes it just takes time to be able to handle that task.❤️

@geezerette - yep, you nailed it.

I had several memory pillows made from my husband's shirts.  Of course, there were scraps of shirts leftover.  The place that made them said "do you want us to just put them in the dumpster?"  It was all I could do to not burst into tears in front of her. I said no, I'll take them home.  And so I did and then threw them away in our trash.  Ridiculous I know, but it felt more respectful to me to bring them home and throw them away in our home trash.  Grief can be so odd and random sometimes.  And it still took me 2 weeks to throw the scraps away.  Had to work up to it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?