Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@gidgetgh 

Your project is admirable!  

Love the Zak confetti items.  Had two, very large purple bowls in the past and broke both of them along the way.

I still see the confetti items now and then, but don't need any more dishes (as I've said before!).

Respected Contributor

Hi De Clutter Bugs,

I haven't been on in a couple of weeks because I've been lazy. 
So here goes what went out today.

Kitchen Cabinets. 2 packages of Quaker Oats Instant. Only the man upstairs knows how long they've been there.

Chicken of the Sea Sardines...YUCK. My mom gave them to me and I only took them because I knew I would toss them and she would never. I like to help her out although she doesn't know it. 😝 Barilla Fetuccine. I don't like thick pasta. My friend brought me a care package early on in the pandemic and this was in it.

Under Kitchen Sink - A spray trigger, an empty dawn detergent bottle that I fill from the industrial size dawn that I buy. I have others that are full.

The Joy Mangano Miracle Mop that was anything but a miracle! Someone please remind me when she resurfaces as Clean Boss not to tune in to HSN!
Keep up the good work!!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Me too, @rnmom --  I think you must also be a "ladybug".  I can't stand having a lot of visual clutter (especially things like cluttered kitchen countertops), and I like organizing in only broad categories, with sizable containers to put things in.

My ancient Martha Stewart metal bistro shelves in the kitchen were a stacked welter of all my cookbooks in stacks.  Then I got two nice bins from the Container Store (I think that's the name), put the cookbooks in and containers back on the shelves.  So much neater and less chaotic!  But I can easily access any of the cookbooks still.

Hubby is a "bee".   He's very neat, but likes everything out where he can see it (aaagh),  but unlike me, he likes very precise, meticulous, complicated organization of files, etc. which drives me crazy....

@Oznell - Yep, you sound like me, I must be a lady bug too. I have no idea what hubby is. At work he is super meticulous and particular and has all his files and paperwork in order (he is a teacher) but at home, not so much. He has a tendency to drop stuff on any flat surface and having stuff out doesn't seem to bother him. He is definitely NOT super meticulous at home, unfortunately for me, 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I took another purse to consignment today and a half filled shopping bag of things to Goodwill.  The Goodwill bag included some clear glass salad plates that I've always liked, but it occurred to me that we didn't use them one time in the 16 years we've owned this house.  I actually had them before I got married.  And I haven't used them in the year since my husband died, so out they went.

So....here is how the "dishes cabinet" looks now,  And there are no plates and bowls anywhere else.  This is it. 

BF3CC59C-3F88-4DE9-8763-333A661C05F0.jpeg

@gidgetgh - I think that cabinet looks great. If I lived alone I wouldn't have any more than that either, unless I entertained a lot. Plenty enough for one person to have a bit of variety and not be too boring. I can't see why you would need more. Looks great!

Respected Contributor

I actually took the time to go thru and try on some tops in my closet and ended up adding 8 to my donate bag that I don't like how they fit. 

I also set aside to donate a small end table that sat on the end of my sectional couch. It wasn't really ever used, just had a drink coaster on it, was not in good shape and just seemed to be in the way whenever I wanted to clean the furballs from under it. But there's supposed to be an end table there in case someone needs to set a drink down right? That's what we're always told anyway.

I set the table aside in my bedroom to see how I would do with it gone and it's weird. While we certainly haven't missed having it there it "feels" like something is missing. I guess it's just after having a table in that space for so many years I was just used to it. My sister is coming over today and I'll ask her how she thinks it looks, get another opinion. 

I went thru my magazine rack and added 4 to the recycle bin. Tossed a ratty bandana, a stained and ratty door mat, some old papers and daily devotionals and 2 old bed pillows that the dog trashed. 

Honored Contributor

I need your thoughts.

I did wash today. When I tried to put my underwear away, the drawer was already full. So time to clear out stuff. There were some underpants, I had no trouble throwing out.

BUT I have MANY bras. I had breast cancer a couple of years ago. So I still have bras from my pre mastectomy days. I now have a pile of bras that no longer a good fit. Many of the bras were never worn. 

I hate to throw out the bras that were never worn but I am not sure if that is an item I could donate. I have quite a pile and tomorrow is trash day. Not sure which way to go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family has ruined yet another Cuisinart nonstick skillet; it used to be the best skillet in the house, but now is in a trash bag to go out on Friday.   

I don't believe there's a skillet made that can stand up to my family.   

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I need your thoughts.

I did wash today. When I tried to put my underwear away, the drawer was already full. So time to clear out stuff. There were some underpants, I had no trouble throwing out.

BUT I have MANY bras. I had breast cancer a couple of years ago. So I still have bras from my pre mastectomy days. I now have a pile of bras that no longer a good fit. Many of the bras were never worn. 

I hate to throw out the bras that were never worn but I am not sure if that is an item I could donate. I have quite a pile and tomorrow is trash day. Not sure which way to go.

@drizzellla - if any of the bras still have tags on them, I'd donate them.  But, if they've been worn, I wouldn't. I never donate bras that have been worn.  Same with nightgowns.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I need your thoughts.

@drizzellla 

I'm guessing they won't take the bras unless they still have their tags. 

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla : agree  with previous posters that bras NWT should be donated. If no tags they probably have to be tossed, new or not.

Yesterday I bought a new tank top. Today: three older ones to donate. All were worn less than a handful of times. I'm sure others will have to go soon, but I did not feel like trying on today.

Tried to return a small framed art print to a ReStore with receipt yesterday. The ReStore by me allows returns. This store apparently does not, so that's gone to the donate box along with some glasses. 

A cool framed photo I bought at the same time found a home with DB.

Two pairs of athletic socks added to the recycled clothing bag.

Tomorrow is weekly trash collection. Time to purge the fridge.

Full disclosure: More has been coming in than going out. Each new item has both a purpose and a home.

As I begin to transition my wardrobe for season and smaller size I am working toward a more capsule wardrobe with a limited color palette. I have already done that with limiting pants colors to black, gray, olive and denim: mostly black and denim.