Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

Hmm, I didn't realize that, @queendiva .  Good to know. 

With all the crafting and diy projects involving frames, you'd think they wouldn't be too undesirable?  Hoping my donation center has a wide latitude of what they accept-- so far, they've taken everything, and I do encounter a live reception person when I drop things off!

Esteemed Contributor

I was in Michael's today picking up a pair of prints that I had custom double mats made for in my own frames. Priced a variety of ready made frames while there. They are $$$.

If I needed frames I would look at a thrift store first, for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I just keep finding things to purge.

Was planning to list a few things on Marketplace. DS said he would take the pair of nightstands for the guest BR in his new house as well as a step stool, so I guess they will remain in the garage a bit longer. The price was right (free from Mom's house).

Listed a water fountain yesterday afternoon (19" x 9") and had an overwhelming response! It was picked up first thing this morning.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell - I just recently started to watch some Dana K White videos on you tube. I had seen her blog a few years back as "A Slob Comes Clean" and read some of the beginning posts about how she began her journey but hadn't really watched or read much until just recently I started getting interested again. She's a good one to watch because she makes it doable for "real" people. 

Esteemed Contributor

Two more purges:

2 pairs of old glasses and the last bag of spring/summer clothes- all donated.

Started a new box for ReStore with the soup bowls.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Dropped off two boxes of miscellaneous items including nice dresses, canister set, clock radio, and candles.  Also pair of roller blades - from DS. Been in trunk for months.

Honored Contributor

Oh, agreed, @rnmom ,  Dana K. White is the best!  I actually like her current videos even more than her "A slob comes clean" days, as she has continued to develop and apply her ideas...

I like the fact that she is a declutterer, and organizer, as opposed to a strict minimalist.  Not that there's anything wrong with minimalism, but I'm just personally more in the "curated" camp, ha.

For her flexible, but disciplined "container concept" idea alone, she should be given a prize.  She has a way of coming up with these practical, ingenious ideas that can truly translate into a more organized home for any family.

Plus her dry, self-deprecating humor makes her a joy to watch.

Respected Contributor

This week I went through the place looking to discard stuff. I did. A bag of clothes and a pair of shoes found their way out. I shredded a bag of unnecessary papers. I went through my makeup after seeing a report on the internet about bacteria on older cosmetics. It disgusted me and I can't believe I let so much of it go. I still have more. I do daily decluttering and make sure something goes out everyday.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went through the closets in 2 bedrooms. The third bedroom closet is full of random stuff my DH needs to go through - one day - maybe? 

I found several old sneakers that belonged to DH on the bottom floor of one closet. He told me to keep one pair for mowing the grass and throw the others away. Saved the shoe boxes for recycling mail and shredding. 

I organized the top shelves which have extra linens, pillows, hats, purses, etc. I pulled out a few more clothing items from my closet that I don't wear or want anymore. Those items will be donated along with old window valances I recently took down. There's still room in the bag for a few more things so the bag is still in my basement. 

I'm thinking I might tackle the unfinished side of the basement next week. That will take a few days. 

Wishing everyone a Wonderful Weekend! 🌈

Respected Contributor

@Oznell - I totally agree with everything that you said. While there are a couple of minimalists that I enjoy listening to on occasion, I am NOT a minimalist in any way, shape or form, even though it might be nice to try it someday. But honestly, I doubt we will ever be in that position, I just like to have a somewhat neat, orderly and decluttered space.

I also like that she is very real, her house gets messy and needs to be decluttered regularly. It seems like there are so many organizers that are not realistic about decluttering and maintaining a home. She is definitely living a real life, and like we've mentioned here, decluttering never ends.