Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

What a good point, @geezerette ,  about less visual clutter "out where you live" and more stored behind closed doors. Me too.  I like having necessities stored away neatly, and fewer of those things out in the open.  I've guessed that I'm one of those people who reacts too much to "over-stimulation" in her immediate environment, whether that be visual, or even sound-wise--  hate loud noises or voices. 

My love for optional pretty gimcracks and decorative objects, (as opposed to grim necessities like cat litter, paper towels, pita chips ) does present more of an ongoing challenge for me....  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

What a good point, @geezerette ,  about less visual clutter "out where you live" and more stored behind closed doors. Me too.  I like having necessities stored away neatly, and fewer of those things out in the open.  I've guessed that I'm one of those people who reacts too much to "over-stimulation" in her immediate environment, whether that be visual, or even sound-wise--  hate loud noises or voices. 

My love for optional pretty gimcracks and decorative objects, (as opposed to grim necessities like cat litter, paper towels, pita chips ) does present more of an ongoing challenge for me....  

@Oznell 

Me too!

I think that's one of the reasons I've always ended up gravitating to country living.  Just the everyday sight and sound stimulation of city living gets to me after a while.

Keeping my surroundings simple and basic tends to ground me.

Trusted Contributor

I got rid of the old cordless phone system and replaced it with a new model. So, it's not a total "minus" - it was a swap! The system was 14 years old and starting to act up, so some of the features were not functioning properly and I think it wasn't totally compatible with the new VOIP equipment. Tired of troubleshooting so it was time to replace.

But I'm packing up the old system and batteries for recycling.

Super Contributor

I started 'purging' when self-quarantine started.  I had a list of things to do, and for about 5-6 weeks, it went well.  But slowly I got bored, still hoping the virus would be controlled. It didn't. so it was back to purging!  We've gone through the house, donated clothing, donated to the Lions organisation raffles/auctions etc., and the house does look thinned down!  We pruned back the garden, which is showing the positive results from that pruning.  So quarantine helped in some ways.  

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Those are such good questions to ask ourselves, @just bee ,  thank you for that.   And I do think your harrowing fire experience is the kind of thing that focuses one's attention so acutely on what's really important.

Dana K. White ("Decluttering at the Speed of Life" is her book) has helped focus mine, partly b/c she's NOT a minimalist-- but she (a previously messy-- and very funny person) has become, against her own natural self, a purger and organizer. 

She said something in a video that really helped me-- she said, everyone must find his or her "clutter threshold",  and it will be different for every person. She said she can only have so many possessions that she can keep, and still be able to manage her household easily.

Now that it's warmer, I'm beginning my attic raids again.  Found a horrible old crusty vinyl satchel up there, stuffed with paint chips and brochures-- tossed it.  We had comforters and sheets up there that won't fit in our linen closet--  I washed them in order to figure out which I'm donating and which sending to animal shelters, and which I'm tossing, whew.

Doesn't sound like much, but you have to winnow through a lot of things up there just to figure out what to bring down and make decisions on, sigh.  It's too bad that we have a big attic-- it was only too easy to stash stuff.  Now comes the slow, sometimes painful "de-accessioning"!

@Oznell  - I love Dana White.  Her advice is so practical.  And she is humorous.  Like you have a big attic, I have a big basement, and have filled it up in 32 years of living here.  I alternate between loving the open space and uncluttered look and wanting to decorate with different things and change the environment around.

Honored Contributor

Isn't she great, @DecorDiva ?  You're so right-- she's naturally funny and self-deprecating, with that dry humor, that makes her little *rules* and prescriptions go down easier.  

Oh, yeah, a large basement would be a big temptation too!   Again, there's where Dana White comes in, if I would just heed her!  Her "container concept",  where, you can keep what you love most, IF it fits in your pre-determined container (whether that be a bin, a drawer, a cupboard or whatever.)  Then you have to decide, how many of those so-called 'containers' can you have in a room, and still live easily and not stumble over stuff.  A room is a 'container' as well...  It's a useful way of thinking of things, which I'm trying more or less, to absorb...

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee - That is wonderful advice. However, in the new Covid age I'm finding it harder to follow it. It was a lot easier when there was an abundance of everything and I didn't ever worry about whether or not something would be available if I ever needed it. I always figured if something wore out I would just go get a replacement. Simple. Now, it's not so simple. I worry that either things won't be available at all, or the prices will be so high that I won't want to buy it. It's so crazy how things change.

I still try to declutter where I can, especially if an item is outgrown, broken, or doesn't really serve a useful purpose, like a decoration. But I find that I am holding onto a lot more than I used to. Holding on to more and buying more "just in case". 

@rnmom 

This is exactly how I feel.

I was just getting down to a routine of only buying when I got low on something and not keeping a bunch of extras.  Then the pandemic sent me back into stocking up mode.

And I don't see it ending anytime soon.  I still have an over abundance of toilet paper and paper towels.  I was going to start using my stockpile to get it down to a more normal level, but I noticed just a few weeks ago that once again there was no toilet paper available for weeks on end. 

I always keep a good amount of extra cat litter since you just never know when you might need to change a box more often than you thought.  Most brands of cat litter was completely gone from the shelves for over two months.  For those of you with fussy cats, you know that one type of litter isn't necessarily interchangeable with just any other. I was getting ready to order it online when I finally found one container. 

You don't know what is going to be hard to get, or when it will disappear.  Or when--or if--it will come back.  So I'm back to stockpiling and keeping extra of most things.  More than I'd like.

On the other hand, I'm still finding a few things here and there that I don't use or need.  My house is becoming more filled with practical items that get used for everyday life than knick knacks or excess furnishings.

I guess I have a "clutter threshold" like @Oznell was speaking of. If I have more stuff being stored in a closet, I want less stuff out in my living areas.  I like the appearance of order and less, so at least it's good that I don't have to see all that I'm stockpiling until I go into a closet or cabinet.

@geezerette - Yes, that sums up everything exactly. I've always kept a small stockpile of food and household items just from shopping sales, etc. so I was fortunate that when we had shortages last year I never actually ran out of anything, but it was definitely disconcerting for sure to go into a store for weeks on end and not find toilet paper,  bread, milk, chicken, basics. 

I'm not seeing any major shortages around here, yet, but I'm expecting them at any time, so if I see something that I regularly use I will buy it. But I also don't like visual clutter either, that's when it bugs me too. As long as I can tuck stuff away into closets, drawers, onto shelves out of sight, I'm okay. I'm really glad that we have so much storage in this house. Now if I could just get all my guys to put stuff away..........

Anyway, I have definitely been buying what I consider to be more practical items too, socks, towels, sheets, etc. and trying to eliminate some non-necessities. But I know that more is coming in that is going out. I don't like it, but it's just the way things are going to have to be for a while, until things settle down a bit. If things every settle down a bit. 

Respected Contributor

I got some donations dropped off to the thrift store yesterday, a large kitchen sized trash bag filled with clothes, a small box with some misc odds and ends and a couple of larger items that wouldn't fit in a box or bag. 

I did add one more water bottle and one lunch bag to the box before we took them. I never know how many back ups I should keep of these things. I always try to keep at least a couple, but do I need 4-5? Probably not. 

Honored Contributor

I purged the last 3 boxes of kitchen stuff yesterday--well I sorted thru them and found them  a  new home in my small apartment kitchen--didn't really toss anything----but----today I will purge those boxes---out, out, darn boxes----been in this apt for 6 weeks now--- and those boxes have been in my front room just harrassing me----feels so good-----Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

These past few weeks have been busy in the "sorting, purging, donating, selling" of things for me.

I sold: entryway hall tree, console & sofa tables, area rug still wrapped up wrong color, excess tableware, home decor items.

Took the $ and re-invested in a buffet server (found on FB marketplace), area rug and console cabinet.  And I have some cash leftover🙂🙂

I now am in the process of opening boxes marked "fragile --DR" that have been stored for 3 years🤷‍♀️. My spouse in all his humor said "don't open them, just donate if you haven't missed or used in 3 years obviously you don't need them!". Makes sense but my curiosity has the best of me -- although I know I will probably take his advice unless it's something I really like.

Happy Sunday🙂🙂