Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

Today I tossed 2 lampshades, too intricate and dusty to bother trying to clean. Same reason they are not going to the donations box. I am not making any progress because, naturally, they were replaced.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

A large tote full of stuff and a blender moved from my car trunk to ReStore this morning- finally.

Respected Contributor

I tossed a pair of hubby's ratty slippers, a pair of my son's hiking boots that he's outgrown, and 3 socks. We already have replacements for the slippers and boots so I'm not sure why the guys were keeping them. 

I added to my donate pile a heavy, metal letter/file type holder. It had been on my wall in my dining room for probably about 8 years and I used it to file/store papers from each member in the house as they came in, school papers, etc. I haven't used it for much lately so I took it down a few weeks ago to see if I missed it. I don't, so I'll donate it.

My donate pile is growing so I'd like to get my items dropped off soon. Probably not this weekend, I'll be busy on Saturday, but maybe next weekend. The place I like to take them isn't open on Sundays. 

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on your progress everyone. I'm done decluttering for now. Our 55 gallon garbage bin was filing up fast in February and March. Today is garbage day and it's almost empty. You get to the point where you have it under control.

Trusted Contributor

I disassembled my broken outdoor fountain and placed it at the curb. Scavengers picked it up before the City could get to it. I also gathered some curtain rods for donation.

Honored Contributor

Sorted and tossed a huge bagful of grocery receipts retrieved from our so-called battery drawer.

Our 'mail table' is my late aunt's mahogany library table, and it is out in the open in our living room--  it's a long room, and the table is the perfect divider of the space into two separate seating areas.

However, being so prominent in the room, if mail stacks up too long on that table, it gives the living room a cluttery feeling.  I prefer mail to be accessible, but mostly concealed.  I unearthed a repro lap desk I got years ago from The Bombay company, and it has a hinged lid!  So we can stash our current mail in there, yay.  But, things like big circulars, coupons etc. still accumulate outside that lap desk, on the table itself.  So today I decluttered and purged that surface too.  Room, at least, looks calmer.   

Respected Contributor

I'm trying to spend each day off doing one small thing to organize or clean so that hopefully I can relax a bit when the weather is good this summer.  I have 2 days a week off to putter on things. Yesterday I worked in my boys' bathroom, cleaned a bit and tossed an old electric toothbrush and an air freshener that was used up.

I also worked in our dining room for a bit and organized some drawers in our hutch. I didn't toss much other than some papers that had accumulated. I don't have a lot to get rid of, I'm mainly cleaning and organizing but little things are going here and there. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sold another item on Marketplace today. Listed another in it's place.

Hard to know what will sell on Marketplace and what will linger.

Two well worn pairs of sweatpants that are now embarrassingly big went in the recycled clothing bag. Now I just have to find a school group or organization that is collecting clothing items that are too worn to donate.

I lived in those pants for much of the past year. More to follow.

Regular Contributor

Finished the garage today !!  Gone are old and didn't work bird feeders, 14 hyacinth force jars, grandkids old toys, and spare parts for all kinds of plumbing fixtures.  Did find a stash of zip ties - I use them for all kinds of things and always have to buy new (not any more!).

Tomorrow I am starting the dreaded fruit cellar where I keep my seasonal decorations, etc and stuff .  I have promised myself I am unloading wreaths that haven't seen daylight for years, suitcases, and all kinds of stuff that I thought I needed.

Trusted Contributor

I laundered a big pile of old washcloths and 3 small no-sew fleece blankies, then donated them to an animal rescue organization. They were very glad to get them!