Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@Lucky Charm --I am living with my DD in the apartment--she was living with us since the 2008 financial debacle then when I had cancer in 2012, she was there to help and she was there until hubs decided he wanted out so she found a place  for both of us. thanks for the advice--and i agree--but will let the legal system do their work and plan accordingly.Woman Happy

Have to say--life is less hectic and frustrating  right now--well, if I can find my underwear amongst all the boxies I have left to unpack!! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

DH just took two large boxes of assorted men's and women's clothing and household goods to Good Will.  This included a light-weight vacuum cleaner and an assortment of cleaning supplies. 

We're doing spring cleaning so another donation box has been started.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@wagirl Hoping it all works out for you. So hard to imagine why he'd initiate such a drastic move after 45 years. We purge a lot of things on this thread, but this is the first time I read of a spouse being one of them.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG --first off---thanks for your good wishes--believe me--this is a very good thing---has been brewing for the last 20 some years---especially from 2016 on til  now---he was a strong/ rabid fan of a certain person and I was/am not---and that was the literal end of the relationship. His choice to end it ----but I will be fine and no tears shed, just huge relieff!!!!

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

My purging may be the ultimate for me---got rid of my car yesterday--no replacement in my future and also my spouse of 45 years ---at his request. Sold our house of 35 years and I am in an apartment--at his request. Now its my turn--and the papers are under way.  Woman LOL BOOM !!!!!!

@wagirl - Holy cow! That is definitely the ultimate purge. I hope that everything works out for you the way you would like it to. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom --thanks--yes am very optimistic for my future at age 66---would have liked a different resolution but when you get thrown under the bus, either  you get dragged  or you drive the dang thing----I am in the drivers seat!!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@wagirl You sound like a very strong person...glad you are happy in your apartment.  I was in your situation 5 years ago after a 42 year marriage (I am the same age as you).  

I actually prefer apartment living.  My income is tight, and I don't have the energy or finances for home and yard maintenance and repairs.  Rent does take a chunk of $.....but where I live, not having to pay maintenance and property tax costs makes it about even.  

At this stage of my life I am more and more committed to decluttering.  "Stuff" isn't as important to me now.  Sending lots of good thoughts your way, @wagirl    🌷

The other day I organized all my 2020 financial paperwork and receipts into folders, and stashed them in the designated spot.  Tossed alot of papers that really didn't need to be saved.  

Honored Contributor

@alicedee ---you are the wind beneath my wingsWoman Very Happy----I guess you gotta be strong for yourself---went thru breast cancer in 2012, mostly by myself with little help from Mr X---had to advocate for myself --kind of sink or swim----that girded my loins for this latest adventure--

Yes,I am done with mortgages, prop taxes, maintenance inside and out--had to get rid of alot I wasn't ready to part with---that makes me really angry because I didn't have a choice---but the things I did love, and found new homes for,  I took photos of so can look at them whenever.

This apt is very small, nice, but tiny and am sharing with my daughter. She can walk to work in 10 minutes. Will be here for while as I can't even think of packing up to move again but think there is  one more move in my future.  

Respected Contributor

@wagirl  Bless ya, my friend.  I left fast, and didn't take many of my treasures..spent the first couple years trying to replace things I had left behind.

I have moved past that stage now, and am ready to lighten my load in many ways.  

You are plucky, and that inspires me!  And I truly enjoy reading everyone's decluttering efforts here....it is a real encouragement to me.  Thanks to everyone.  🌷

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I spent last Saturday purging my closet, and had 2 big trash bags full of clothes.  You know the ones - I might fit in these again some day - those clothes.  Alas, I think that ship has sailed and sank.  So, I want someone else to use them. The Goodwill was not taking donations, so I went to Green Drop.  I am sure it has been mentioned on here before, because there are a lot of messages on here.  If you have Green Drop near you - go!  You pull up to the truck, they come out and take your donations, are very polite, and will give you a receipt if you want one.  I never get a receipt, so I just said thank you and went on my merry way.  I highly recommend Green Drop.