Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

I tossed a worn out dishrag. Exciting huh? 

I had set aside a breakfast sandwich maker to donate and my younger son keeps wanting us to use it to make breakfast sandwiches. It's really a pain in the you know what so we don't use it and I'm not bringing it back into the ktichen. I was just going to get rid of it but maybe I will set it aside and give it to him when he gets older. I don't usually do stuff like that, he's only 12, but he asks to use it  fairly often and it won't hurt anything to have it stashed in the basement for now. 

Honored Contributor

Emptied our two and a half car garage and hosed down the floor. I was vicious about tossing items we hadn't used as we returned the contents to the garage. We have large garbage bins and ours is 3/4 full. 

Valued Contributor

I threw out a pair of scuffed hot pink White Mountain wedge sandals that were purchased from QVC on May 1, 2006. (I love it when I find the receipt in the box!)

They cost $38.75.

Esteemed Contributor

@DearPrudence : over the years the price of shoes has gone up like crazy! As a result I give very careful consideration to buying shoes-even on sale.

Only purge around here lately has been the poinsettia I bought on Black Friday. It was looking very tired this morning, so I pitched it. 

I found a gorgeous, unique antique crystal lamp at thrift last week. I have replaced a favorite lamp with it. As it's a favorite I am just relocating it to basement storage for now.

Of course, I am always on the lookout for the next thing I can live without. Will take whatever small kitchen items I have collected in the garage to ReStore on Thursday. Forgot to bring the bag of shoes to Goodwill over the weekend. Oh well- next time.

Picked up a couple of things for DS & DDIL at thrift and gave the items to them on Sunday.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been purging items from the pantry and unloaded about 5 grocery bags worth.  Expired or stuff I won’t use.  

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva Those pointsettias do last long. I too bought 3 of them over Black

Friday weekend and got rid of 2 about a month ago. The last one just went

last week. I hated to part with the last one as it seemed to be holding on and

a little bit of water seemed to keep it thriving. It was time for it to go as I have

other plants and a cactus occupying good window space.

Honored Contributor

Old photos.

The top of one of the bedroom closets was nothing but boxes and boxes of photos.  So I sorted through and ended up tossing more than 3/4 of the photos (how many pics do you need of the same Buddhist temple?)

Consolidated it down to one box that can go on the floor and the top shelf is empty.  EMPTY!

One day soon I will write down who or what is in the picture.  Some of the photos I threw away could be titled:  WHY????

Esteemed Contributor

@threecees : Last December I gave a small poinsettia as a welcome gift to my new next-door neighbor. At last word it was still alive and re-blooming!

Last year I kept one for at least 6 months. Moved it outdoors in the warm weather. Was reluctant to pitch it, but I finally did.

Esteemed Contributor

For the donation box today: tall drinking glasses and a small glass jar.

I purchased glassed last week that I like better. It's a wash, but at leat I am keeping the status quo and not just adding new to old as is often the case. I have a limit of one cupboard for glasses and mugs. Half of the top shelf remains empty

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm - I LOVE empty shelves! Unfortunately I don't have many of them right now. Actually, I'm not sure if I have ANY of them right now. Good for you!