Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

I gave my housekeeper a lot of clothes that she liked and I always have more than I will ever wear, same with jewelry.  Some of it I had never worn and 3 pieces never had the tags removed.  Some were Peter Nygard and some Karl Lagerfeld.  I don't know why I bought them in the first place.  Must have been a sale that lured me.  I didn't need them.  I gave her about 40-50 pieces of clothing, some of which were tank tops, Tee shirts but several pairs of denim and white jeans, some leggings, tops that I bought and didn't try on and just gave them to her when I realized they were too big.

Then I cleaned out my make-up and facial products Friday night.  

Today I cleaned out medicine.  Many times my DH goes to the doctor, they change his heart medicines or medications for dementia around and I have bottles of unused pills.  I can't toss them, put them in trash so I am taking them to the drugstore to dispose of.  We have one pharmacy here that does that.  There is a big bin in which to put them and I guess they destroy them somehow.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

I gave my housekeeper a lot of clothes that she liked and I always have more than I will ever wear, same with jewelry.  Some of it I had never worn and 3 pieces never had the tags removed.  Some were Peter Nygard and some Karl Lagerfeld.  I don't know why I bought them in the first place.  Must have been a sale that lured me.  I didn't need them.  I gave her about 40-50 pieces of clothing, some of which were tank tops, Tee shirts but several pairs of denim and white jeans, some leggings, tops that I bought and didn't try on and just gave them to her when I realized they were too big.

Then I cleaned out my make-up and facial products Friday night.  

Today I cleaned out medicine.  Many times my DH goes to the doctor, they change his heart medicines or medications for dementia around and I have bottles of unused pills.  I can't toss them, put them in trash so I am taking them to the drugstore to dispose of.  We have one pharmacy here that does that.  There is a big bin in which to put them and I guess they destroy them somehow.

@Nonametoday - Sounds like you have gotten a lot accomplished, that is awesome! That is a lot of clothes out of the house, awesome!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday You really are on a roll.  You got rid of a lot of clothing.

I threw out a couple hand towels that had seen better days and a washcloth.  I organized a shelf in the bathroom and threw out whatever I found that was expired.  The shelf looks so nice and organized, it makes me happy to see it looking neat.

Esteemed Contributor

This morning I pulled out an old but unopened bag of 50 tea lights that I no doubt picked up at a garage sale years ago. At some point they were exposed to heat- most melted and are unusable. I went through the bag and rescued a dozen candles, as I light one most every evening- the rest were trashed.

Also trashed some items from my fridge that I do not plan on using/ eating anytime soon.

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Ok, so another category that has me stumped.

back in the 80's and early 90's I used to cross stitch....like a lot.  When I would finish a project, I would get it professionally matted and framed.  So I have a bunch of nicely framed things.

Some are hanging throughout our house, some are sitting in a closet.  I don't know what to do with them.

I'm still planning on moving, if it EVER stops raining here and the builder can start building the community and I'm ok with the price AND can pick a lot I like.  Ok, I'm drifting off course a little. The new house I'm looking at doesn't have a lot of wall space.  I have probably 4 framed cross stitch pieces that were pretty elaborate and I definitely want to take and hang those. I'm good there.

So, what to do with the others?  I would never take them to consignment,  a lot of the pieces have a country theme which was popular back then and they would never sell.  Goodwill doesn't appeal to me either.  I don't have children and I hate to give a "well meaning" gift and foist pieces off to friends. Do I just take a picture of them and hold on to the picture and then just hurl them into the trash?  Seems a little "cruel".   But I really can't think of another option.  

I'm in the same boat.  I recently came across some completed cross stitch Christmas items that I won't use now.  One set I put in our donation box but the other I'm not sure of.  I think I'll look online for ideas how I might incorporate it in something for Christmas.  Taking a picture is a good idea but if they are nicely framed I would donate them.  You never know what someone else might love.

Honored Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Ok, so another category that has me stumped.

back in the 80's and early 90's I used to cross stitch....like a lot.  When I would finish a project, I would get it professionally matted and framed.  So I have a bunch of nicely framed things.

Some are hanging throughout our house, some are sitting in a closet.  I don't know what to do with them.

I'm still planning on moving, if it EVER stops raining here and the builder can start building the community and I'm ok with the price AND can pick a lot I like.  Ok, I'm drifting off course a little. The new house I'm looking at doesn't have a lot of wall space.  I have probably 4 framed cross stitch pieces that were pretty elaborate and I definitely want to take and hang those. I'm good there.

So, what to do with the others?  I would never take them to consignment,  a lot of the pieces have a country theme which was popular back then and they would never sell.  Goodwill doesn't appeal to me either.  I don't have children and I hate to give a "well meaning" gift and foist pieces off to friends. Do I just take a picture of them and hold on to the picture and then just hurl them into the trash?  Seems a little "cruel".   But I really can't think of another option.  

I'm in the same boat.  I recently came across some completed cross stitch Christmas items that I won't use now.  One set I put in our donation box but the other I'm not sure of.  I think I'll look online for ideas how I might incorporate it in something for Christmas.  Taking a picture is a good idea but if they are nicely framed I would donate them.  You never know what someone else might love.

I also did ALOT of cross stitch. I got some professionally mounted and I still have one that is three quarters of the way done. There is a saying "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may". The lady's dress has about 8 different shades of pink. Most of the dress is done but I just got tired of doing all the pink.

I know my son has no interest in cross stitch. So I guess I will try and donate all the items I made. Doubt there is a market for any of the pieces. Keep me posted what you decide to do.

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Our tenant of 6+ years moved out at the end of 2020. It was just her and her daughter living in our 1 bedroom unit. It was quite spacious for one person but getting crowded for 2. Wow, my eyes couldn't believe how much she had tucked away down there. It was like Mary Poppins' bag, stuff kept coming out. She donated bags and bags of things. She had 5 pairs of completed new, unworn shoes, one of which I accepted. There was a whole shoebox of tiny cosmetic samples. It was a good reminder to me to stay the course. Slow the in-flow. Declutter the unused while it is still good and can be used and loved by someone else. 

And, she was so happy to get rid of these things. She didn't miss them at all. I can agree to that. I haven't missed anything I've gotten rid of at all.

I still have my Christmas decorations up. It just cheers everyone up during this time but I should put them away soon. I plan to declutter some of them before I put everything back into storage.  

@Oshare-girl - I took all of my Christmas decorations down several weeks ago, but we did leave one thing up: 2 strings of lighted garland that are wrapped around the wooden bannister that goes up to our loft. I thought they just looked "festive" and wanted to leave them up. My younger son also put up a string of lights in his room and those are still up too. 

@rnmom We finally took down the Christmas decorations the day before Valentine's. That was my self-imposed deadline. We too left up the string of lights on our outside stairs and DS has a string of lights in his room.  There's a house down the street from us that still has the whole shabang going and I love it! When we go for our walks, it's a cheerful sight. Plus I enjoy it more since I don't have to put someone else's decorations away.

Trusted Contributor

We finally had a clothing drive at school for the music dept. Between us, our former tenant, my mom and another friend, we donated 14 - 33 lb garbage bags of stuff. It's always a good reminder to me to NOT buy so much. There were some clothes that I gave away that I bought within the last year. That tells me it was not a smart buy. I got rid of things that I rarely wore for one reason or another. I tried to think of those reasons as I decluttered so I will remember it when I'm tempted to buy something. Unfortunately I don't realize these things right away. Who can predict that seams will be itchy or the item will warp after washing? In any case, I have more than enough and don't need to shop any time soon.

I also parted with several pairs of Nikes that were so uncomfortable that I hardly wore them. Once I started wearing Brooks walking shoes, I couldn't go back to the Nikes. I hope someone else will be happy to find a nice, cheap pair of Nikes in the thrift shop.

I also decluttered a pair of Old Navy skinny jeans that I loved the look of. The problem was that it would start to fall down as I walked. Again, who could have predicted that? I don't know what it is that made them slide down but having to pull them up constantly was so irritating that I stopped wearing them.

Honored Contributor

Today the guest room got deep cleaned. I also went through my desk where I keep the owner's manuals for everything we own. Threw out manuals for an old lawn mower, CD player and water softener, all of which were replaced last year.

Honored Contributor

Thought I'd check in.  I have a small shopping bag started for Goodwill but it's nowhere near ready to go.  I also have 2 small things for consignment.

I was in the hospital most of last week (cause like I felt I needed to add more stress and sadness to my life, sigh) and it's really taken the wind out of my sails.  I'm slowly...slowly regaining strength.  Yesterday I ventured out only to mail 2 bills.  Dropped them off at the post office and came home.  Today I'm going to try to go to recycling which is only 3 miles away.  Then come back home.  I was hospitalized for blood clots but also had 2 major vertigo attacks last week, along with a reactivation of a health issue I've had forever and all that at the same time has been pretty awful. It's made me a little nervous to drive.  Have to get my confidence back up,  and I've been really weak.

I participate in an online fundraising auction and we are getting ready for our auction so this morning I spent a little time gathering my auction things together.  Doing the auction will remove some things from the house!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?