Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@wagirl Good for you.  Sometimes you have to be ruthless when purging.  Wish I would take my own advice but I find it so hard.  

I did throw out some glassware that I didn't want last month.  Just threw it out.  Felt good.

Honored Contributor

Big purge for me today.  And you might have heard my scream of horror all the way to your house, LOL.

I had my old recliner picked up today.  I had replaced it last month and the old one was just sitting here in the way and now it's gone.

And....I donated our Bose radio cd thingy today.  HAD to have it when we moved here 16 years ago.  We never used it once.  I didn't try to sell it because of its age, but I did take it to Goodwill.  

And....the Bose was sitting in our keeping room on top of a cedar chest my husband built for me years ago.  So I removed the Bose and I thought well I'll just open the chest and dust it out while I'm thinking about it.  The empty chest.  So I opened the supposedly empty chest and my husband had crammed it full.....totally packed....with stuff from his moms house from when she passed away 16 1/2 years ago.  Crammed full.  That's when you heard my scream.  Honestly.  I had no sense of humor about it.

I adored my husband and I miss him more than I thought possible to miss someone , but he had this habit of just shoving stuff in random places.  He wasn't very organized on some stuff.

So I pulled everything out.  There was the purse my mother in law used to carry, 3 Bibles that were literally falling apart, a few dishes, two really small old lamps with glass hurricane tops amd a heart shaped jewelry holder crammed full with costume jewelry. Like Monet type stuff that had all "turned". I went through all of it, looking for gold or sterling, started a new Goodwill bag for the dishes, threw a bunch of it away and kept only one item, a really colorful Christmas pin in the shape of a tree with lots of crystals in it.  .  Now I don't wear pins, but this was so colorful that I kept it for now.  

And then I put it all in my car and took it to Goodwill at 4:20. 

I swear, I have been through every inch of this house 50 gazillion times and I was just shocked that this chest, which hasn't been opened since we moved in, had all that stuff in it.  Fortunately, there are no other "Hidey holes" left in the house.  2 bags of trash went into the can for this week's pickup. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Yesterday I was packing up my kitchen--am moving very soon---but went thru ALOT!!!! got a table top full of things I haven't used in a few years---so out they go---and getting rid of the things I just don't like to use anymore--like the waffle iron that you flip over---its a black and Decker and I just don't like it--why keep it???As well as a lot of black nonstick covered cake pans, muffin tins, cookie sheets---all tend to burn if you don't turn the temp down--and made of the old teflon that I hate anyway--out they go too and then there are the Nordic bundt cake pans--that I dearly love but i don't bake anymore-----this moving has taught me a huge lesson------too much is....well....TOO MUCH !!! Oh there I feel so much better----Woman Wink

@wagirl - I am glad that it sounds like you are doing well with packing to move. It doesn't sound like you are regretful or harried, which is good, the things that you are getting rid of are things that you no longer want or need and will be glad to have out of your life. I'm happy that you are feeling good about it. 

I had one of those belgian waffle makers that you flip over, a gift from my mother. She was good at buying us lots of gadgets like that. We actually used it quite a bit and only got rid of it when the waffles started sticking so badly that no matter how much cooking spray we used, we couldn't get them out without a huge mess.

My kids actually liked the waffles so when we found a smaller belgian waffle maker at a thrift store we grabbed it. It seems to work well and the machine is a lot smaller and easier to store in a cabinet in my kitchen. If not for the kids I probably wouldn't mess with it at all, but they like it for now. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh -OMG, your post about the cedar chest sure did make me chuckle. I just thought that it was so funny that all of those items were right there under your nose for all those years and you had no idea. I'm sure that you don't agree, but as an outsider, I did laugh, sorry. Your husband was a clever man for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@gidgetgh -OMG, your post about the cedar chest sure did make me chuckle. I just thought that it was so funny that all of those items were right there under your nose for all those years and you had no idea. I'm sure that you don't agree, but as an outsider, I did laugh, sorry. Your husband was a clever man for sure! Thanks for sharing!

@rnmom sitting in this chest for years and years and it never occurred to me to look in it (the Bose used to be on top of it) because it was supposed to empty!

6C20E9C4-D18C-484F-84A1-F8100EDD17C1.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@rnmom --the one I had before, I loved--it was the Waring brand--QVC sold it years ago--DD got it for me but the handle broke off making very hard to flip it---- but that thing made the most perfect waffles and we used if for lots of years---thats the kind I should have bought. 

Valued Contributor

Hi all - been awhile!  We had a good snow about ten days ago and I got busy in the house!  Re-organized most of my kitchen pantry, cupboards and drawers. The top ones still need to be addressed, but a good start!  Also started on my bathroom - Cabinets and drawers, save one all done!  I work fulltime so I'm just trying to do a bit everyday and not have to spend all weekend cleaning!  More to go, but DH has been working on the garage and our underhouse storage space with more kid toys and gadgets!  Feels good and I'm thinking our recyle and garbage people are not liking our stop!  Need to run some items to Shelter and Goodwill this week, before I go back thru stuff!  Also found a neat re-sale place about 20 miles aways and will take too many clothes that still have tags, don't get worn, but really nice and maybe make a little $ too. 

Love reading what everyone is doing! 

Take care! 

Honored Contributor

Just read that a Goodwill store is coming to this county!   One more option for donations, which we truly need.   The proposed location will be 45 minutes from my home; same town as Sams, so it could be a dual purpose trip for me.   

The only consignment store in my area of WV deals strictly with children's clothing.   Thru the years, 3 other consignment stores have opened and closed here; none made it a full year.   

Respected Contributor

You are all making great strides!  I have started something new....when I take a bag of trash to the dumpster (ususlly 2-3 times weekly) I take it to every room and grab some extra stuff to toss.  Today I trashed some old cds and books ( they haven't been touched in 5 years).

My Goodwill isn't always taking donations....rather than have a bag sitting around here, I just threw away.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh - That's a beautiful chest, your husband was very talented to make it.

Yep, still made me laugh though, sorry. It was just funny to picture that beautiful chest crammed full of "stuff", it looks so pristine!