Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

Went through some recipes and tossed the ones that will never get tried.

Went through the remaining upper cabinets. That was more of a rearrange than a purge, as there was nothing that really had to go since last year. Nothing added, everything used.

Base cabinets and pantry are bigger jobs. The plan is to go through them this coming week. Again, probably a minimal purge. Anything that was not used since last January does not need to live in my kitchen. It already looks and feels "lighter", neater and more organized. My goal is to complete the kitchen purge by mid-January- then on to other areas.

Will go through drawers in the front entry chest today.

Been feeding the trash & recycling like crazy!

Honored Contributor

I pulled a few items from the kitchen drawers to donate; a candy thermometer, meat thermometer, dough scraper, a pizza cutter. But...the 2 thermometers and the dough scraper were a trade-off, as I recently replaced them all. The pizza cutter was a "free with purchase" item from somewhere that I tried once and did not like.
This was just kind of an "as I was working in the kitchen" thing, I need to empty the drawers completely and go through everything, probably more can go. I also plan to go through all my baking supplies and organize them so I will be more likely to use them rather than let them get pushed to the back of the cabinet until I re-discover them later, expired. Also, I think it's time to go through my big 3-ring binder or recipes and toss the ones I either saved thinking I would try them and never did, or ones I tried and didn't care for. Maybe divide the big binder with 3-4 smaller binders under separate categories. This will be my focus for the next couple days (although it all could be done in 1 day). I do have a couple outside apptmts. this week, and a dog that may need to see the vet, she seems in pain from the cold affecting her arthritis I think. So, she takes priority over everything else. We will see what I get done, in actuality.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@Snicks1 I hope your dog isn't dealing with anything serious.  She definitely will be your priority this week.  🙏

Valued Contributor

THank you for beginning the new thread! I joined sometime in 2020!

I go in waves of purging and organizing.  thought being off 2 weeks over the Christmas holiday I would do a lot in house, as our area is in 'lockdown' for restuarants, and many acitivites we would normally have fun doing.  NO, I didn't toss anything!  I'm back to work tomorrow and trying to organize my home office area and planner to get ready for work in the morning!  Maybe that counts today as orgnanizing!  Smiley Happy

Happy New Year!

Respected Contributor

It counts, @Fifi1 !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I accomplished alot today!

I clean out my pantry every 6 months.  I have bought things (including jar spaghetti sauce, canned icing - yuck) that I haven't used.  

Our community food bank has been asking for donations of everyday staples and paper products, hygiene products esp. for seniors.

So, I packed up 4 bags and will deliver them tomorrow.

and @alicedee thanks to you Smiley Happy ... I thoroughly cleaned and tossed alot from my fridge.  Not as nicely organized with bins, but, then not much in there -- next week shopping day!

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 Great job!  You accomplished so much!  Now you are inspiring me to attack my cupboards.

Respected Contributor

I have been decluttering a little at a time, and discard something (s) everyday. I work hard to keep this under control. Thankfully, I do an acceptable job at it. I get anxious sometimes, because I grew up in a home I feel had too much stuff and a lot of unnecessary paper hanging around. I've always prided myself on the fact that I could discard things. Recently, I've had a loss in my family and I am finding it hard to do it, as I had in the past. I keep telling myself that I've lost the most important person, and the belongings shouldn't matter; but they do. Maybe in time I'll be able to do this but it's still raw and I can't imagine these personal things in possession of others; especially strangers. I know this is a very common response in grief; and one day at a time, I'm hoping to be able to move forward, to a place when I'll be comfortable enough to do this. So for the time being I am still discarding things of mine that I feel are unnecessary. I am also trying to scale down on the purchase of clothing and accessories. I go through my toiletry closet at least 2x a month and purge. On a regular basis, I scale down my wardrobe if it's not in tip top shape. Recently, I've been keeping some clothes to wear at home, that I normally would have flung; but because I'm inside a lot I've been wearing them. I also go around when I'm dusting and cleaning and discard little items and trinkets that I'm sick of. I try to do this frequently. I always keep my shredding current, and I get rid of magazines and catalogs, soon after I'm done browsing or reading them. I'd like to be part of this group and possibly get tips from you guys; as well as share some of mine with you. Happy New Year.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS 

First and most important so sorry to hear of your loss☹️ virtual hug to you (and family).

Yes, "decluttering" or whatever we want to call it is a process with no timeline but yours🙂

I have supposedly:

• downsized
  • reorganized
  • purged
  • tossed
  • donated

Funny thing, I am never ahead.  I sometimes think "more stuff" today I was helping spouse go thru "his" things in his walk-in closet omg he said "what's in this box"? I had ordered a few things last year from QVC -- guess I forgot about them after I put the boxes there during holidays😳

They were Temptations, Beekman and set of Lock N Locks -- talk about his reaction ... I was kinda "embarrassed" that now I put "excess" in his closet😳

I'm truly a work in progress -- no final purge date in site😉

Now after 3 months waiting to have flooring installed throughout the house my guest room (i sold the furniture) is now my 11x19 storage shed😂 and guess what it's slowly getting filled up🙄

Take the time to purge your loved ones things -- when you're ready I'm sure you'll do it with no regrets.  And there are no rules when it comes to sentimental things.

Happy New Year and  again, sorry for your loss

homedecor1

Respected Contributor

@KBEANS You sound like you are on top of just about everything!!  I need to model some of your great habits.

I am sorry you have recently lost a loved one.  You don't have to be on any timetable to deal with that person's belongings.  Maybe do a periodic sweep, and if a few things make it into a donation bag that week, it's good.

My Mom died almost 40 years ago.  It was hard to go through her things....but I remember it helped me thinking she would be happy that her good clothing was donated so a needy person could use it....she was a generous and caring person, and would be glad we did that.  I kept and still have one shirt she wore a lot, and the scarf to her winter coat...everything else was donated.  

When you are dealing with a loved one's things, it takes time to decide what to keep and what to part with.  Don't put any pressure on yourself over it....as @homedecor1 said, you will know when you ready.  🌷