Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

Look at this mess. Belts, wide and slim, that have to go.

Anyone want to guess how many? Under 100.

20200914_105611.jpg

Honored Contributor

Hi guys! 

I haven't read here or posted in this thread for a long time. I'm at least 300 comments behind, and haven't taken time to read and catch up on them, but will in the near future. Hope everyone is doing well with their purging. 

Since Covid hit, it seems we are tied up with other things besides decluttering. I did want to share that I started into a closet yesterday in what was my son's room, and has been filled to the ceiling with a lot of his old stuff. He has bought a house and has a child due by November, so I'm sorting through that stuff, and moving a lot of it out to him if he wants it, and to donations if he doesn't. 

Just wanted to check in, and request a little support that I don't get too sentimental and not carry through. I already removed four large pictures that will be going his way (for baby's room and his house in general), threw away a blanket, a bathtub mat that literally was so hard (brand new even) that I couldn't stand on it in the shower) and a huge card. Much more to come!

Esteemed Contributor

@threecees : Wow! some collection of belts. Way more belts than I have owned throughout my entire life! I  think I own one belt and of course I never wear it.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the after photo of the belts. These were my Mom's, saved

from the 80's to now. When I saw them hanging in a back closet,

I brought them home to organize into two piles, still good to

donate and another pile to trash.

20200914_114702.jpg

33 decent belts to donate in different sizes and 28 bent and old to trash. 

Total of 61 less in her house. A few coats no longer being worn will be

added to the donation as well.

Honored Contributor

Quick update 

I still haven't caught up on all the pages here (I left of on page 59, all those months ago!) but I've done so little purging that today seemed 'big'.

I sold a set of tupperware, got rid of 7 pieces out of the basement, several of which I had never even used. 

Took four pieces of wall art (framed pictures and such) to son for his new house. 

Got back to work in the closet in son's old room, and found a box of classicPooh ceramic bathroom pieces we received as a gift when he was little. Soap dish, drinking glass, toothbrush holder tissue cover, waste basket, Q tip jar. Sent son a picture and asked if he wanted them for the baby, he said yes! 

Another piece of wall art son said he wanted going out too. 

So another bunch of stuff gone or going out in the next few days! 

I'm taking many days to go through this closet, hoping that if I don't rush it, I'll let go of more and move more of it on. 

Seems to be working. I've got a huge mess in that room, but it is working out for the better, doing it this way, it seems.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio, whatever works, that's the goal. Good for you.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Hi guys! 

I haven't read here or posted in this thread for a long time. I'm at least 300 comments behind, and haven't taken time to read and catch up on them, but will in the near future. Hope everyone is doing well with their purging. 

Since Covid hit, it seems we are tied up with other things besides decluttering. I did want to share that I started into a closet yesterday in what was my son's room, and has been filled to the ceiling with a lot of his old stuff. He has bought a house and has a child due by November, so I'm sorting through that stuff, and moving a lot of it out to him if he wants it, and to donations if he doesn't. 

Just wanted to check in, and request a little support that I don't get too sentimental and not carry through. I already removed four large pictures that will be going his way (for baby's room and his house in general), threw away a blanket, a bathtub mat that literally was so hard (brand new even) that I couldn't stand on it in the shower) and a huge card. Much more to come!

@Mominohio - How nice to see you back! 

I'm sure that it will be sentimental going thru your son's room. I know that I get sentimental looking at things from when my kids were toddlers/preschoolers just because I enjoyed that time SO much. It was the absolute best for me, and I miss it immensely, now that they are 12 and 15. 

So I'm sure that going thru his things will bring up some emotions for you. But, it doesn't mean that it doesn't still need to be done. And a grandbaby on the way! Holy cow! Congratulations! I can't think of a better reason to clean out the room than maybe setting up for visits from a little one.

Check in here often, you know you will get lots of encouragement!

Respected Contributor

I did get out into the garage and did a bit of tidying up out there. I only found one thing to donate, a container with some small army men type figures that the kids used to play with and haven't touched in a few years now. 

I tossed a few things: a deflated ball full of holes, some scraps of wood that were laying around, along with a wooden bee box that hubby was going to "fix" and didn't, a plastic ice cream bucket he used for staining the house, 3 nasty gloves, a visor. 

I didn't get rid of much, but I got some stuff off the floor and hung up on the walls or on a shelf and swept the floor, so it at least looks better out there.

I did a bit of tidying up in the mudroom too and added a winter coat from my younger son to the donate pile. I'm actually starting to get a few things accumulated and need to think about making a drop off soon. 

Respected Contributor

@threecees Quite an accomplishment going through the belts!  Isn't it amazing how those kinds of things live in closets, unworn, for so long!

@Mominohio Congratulations on the grandbaby!  Sounds like you already passed on some nice pieces to your son.  You are doing it in a smart way...take pictures of stuff you are not sure he wants and let him tell you yes or no.  The "no" pile will make some new Mom at the thrift store very happy!

I cleaned out two baskets in my hallway that were becoming catchalls...tossed old paperwork, magazines, and some plastic containers.  Looks much better now.  I also organized extra boxed and canned food on some origami shelves in my kitchen, and tossed several expired items.  Those shelves look a lot better now, too!

Honored Contributor

Finally went through my sock and undergarments drawer. Threw away 8 (count 'em, 8) pair of socks that either looked a little worn, or I just never liked them, 1 bra, and a couple pair of old panties. Also threw away a pair of pj pants that were sliding down the last time I wore them.
"To each their own, in all things".