Trusted Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

Small travel size hair blower:  It still worked but the rubber-like handle was real sticky.  The same thing happened to the handle on an old umbrella.  I wonder why with age the rubber-like handles gets all sticky.  I guess it's just old and falling apart? 

Do you know what I'm referring to?  Has this happened to you too?

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing purged today besides papers was an old dog leash, replaced with a new version of the same.

A busy weekend ahead. Not much time for decluttering. Everyone who was too busy to get together before the holidays has scheduled their events for this weekend and next.

Honored Contributor

Oversized Lantern with 3 Removable Pillar Candles by Valerie - H214793

This is probably heading out of the house. I bought it in March of 2018 and have had it in either my living or dining room ever since then, with various degrees of decorations added in, I changed out the candles right away as I wanted timer version candles in it. Today, I removed the candles and the last bits I had inside to dress it up, and took it downstairs and into a cabinet. I'm just tired of it, for now. I'm curious now to see if I ever bring it back out or just take in to donate, at some point. Usually, once I'm tired of something, I'm really done with it. Am I the only one who does this with things? lol

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

@Snicks1 ,yes that happens to me too.  I get tired of something, put it away and just keep it there for many years, and sometimes, I eventually let it go.  I have to be in "one of those moods"  when I decide enough is enough and it's time to get down to business and get rid of things.

I think one of the hardest things for me to purge are nick knacks.   In the corner of our family room is a built-in curio cabinet.  I just keep putting more and more stuff in it as it such an easy place to store things.

I'll have to be in "one of those moods" on the day I try to tackle all those nick knacks.

@Snicks1 , I do like your latern.  It's very pretty.  But I understand, it's not giving you the same enjoyment it had when you first got it.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Small travel size hair blower:  It still worked but the rubber-like handle was real sticky.  The same thing happened to the handle on an old umbrella.  I wonder why with age the rubber-like handles gets all sticky.  I guess it's just old and falling apart? 

Do you know what I'm referring to?  Has this happened to you too?

@BunSnoop  - Yes, I had this happen to an umbrella handle also, and it wasn't able to be cleaned off, so out it went.  Strange.

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:

Oversized Lantern with 3 Removable Pillar Candles by Valerie - H214793

This is probably heading out of the house. I bought it in March of 2018 and have had it in either my living or dining room ever since then, with various degrees of decorations added in, I changed out the candles right away as I wanted timer version candles in it. Today, I removed the candles and the last bits I had inside to dress it up, and took it downstairs and into a cabinet. I'm just tired of it, for now. I'm curious now to see if I ever bring it back out or just take in to donate, at some point. Usually, once I'm tired of something, I'm really done with it. Am I the only one who does this with things? lol

@Snicks1 - I get possession "fatigue".  99 times out of 100, if I have decided I'm tired of something, out it goes.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I have not purged much but I am decluttering.  Putting things away, books in a book case, food in the pantry, clearing off my countertops and just generally putting things away where they have a place.  My house is very clean but it tends to be cluttered because I don't put things away as I should.

Respected Contributor

I'm still feeling sick with this stomach virus, so haven't touched anything....but yesterday I got a surprise visit from my son and grandson, who live several hours away.  I sprayed the apartment liberally with Lysol....they didn't seem too worried.

When they went home I sent a tv set that has just been sitting unused in my spare room, an electric guitar, stand, amp and case that I don't use anymore, and the rest of the Christmas chocolate that was here.

So I got some big stuff out of here and it was no work!  (it was also wonderful to see the boys!).

Esteemed Contributor

Getting rid of an old Olympus camera and 3 packs of film still in the box. 

The used by date was from 2008.

Also tossing an old coffee pot and several empty jars. It's a new year 

and staying inside so much in the winter is a great time to continue

cleaning and filling the trash can.

Honored Contributor

@threecees, good job. I also agree that winter is the perfect time to do major purging. I generally start in January and work through my entire house, try to be done early part of March, in time to start plans for gardening as soon as the weather allows me to be out, digging in the dirt, lol. Then the rest of the year, it's just what I run across that I was undecided on in my wintertime purge.
"To each their own, in all things".