Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

We just got home from dropping off a shopping bag full of things (yeah for my new shopping bag stash!). 

Last minute I added a two tiered sterilite handled thingy that I used to keep our batteries in.   I use the battery organizer from QVC now and just ordered a second one so I don't need the bulky sterilite container any longer.   And I used to have that container sitting on a little riser thing so I donated that also.  

Our coat closet is in fabulous shape. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

Just cleaned out a mirrored make-up tower that we got from QVC about 10 years ago.  My daughter stopped using make-up and it is just sitting here.  Put all of the make-up in a bag to be thrown out since it is so old, and the tower is now on Freecycle.  One thing at a time, but it feels good to keep chugging along.

Respected Contributor

I still haven't really been decluttering per se, but I have tossed a few things that have broken over the last week or so including an umbrella, a watch, and a bird feeder. I used up the last of a 40lb bag of bird seed to feed the deers so that is gone now too and I won't be replacing it. 

I did go thru our magazine rack and put 3 magazines from 2018 and a catalog into the recycle bin. 

Just one tiny thing to donate, a travel salt and pepper shaker that someone from work gave me that I will never use. 

I've been stocking up on extra food and household items over the last couple of months not knowing what to expect and I won't be doing that any longer. Instead of just buying extra to have on hand I want to go back to shopping the sales as best as I can and using up some of what we have here.

I've noticed the last couple of weeks that our local grocery store is actually advertising sales again, they really hadn't been for a couple of months, so I'm hopeful that things are starting to get back to normal.

I donated 5 plastic grocery bags of food/cleaning supplies/toiletries to the flood victims in Midland. Thousands of people are out of their homes, I figured it was the least we could do. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom   I was happy to see grocery store flyers again - another thing I used to take for granted. I've been tossing out smaller flower pots and made six large planters in my landscape rocks the focal point around the house. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finally bringing the summer clothes up from storage. Not taking everything out- only what is cool & comfortable. Summer version of my lockdown wardrobe. Keep wearing and washing the same favorites over and over again. LOL. To that end I parted with 5 tops: 4 to donate and an old Lisa Rinna top that was too big and not well made. It was cool on very hot days. I have limited the colors in my wardrobe, which is making it easier for me to part with some clothes, something I struggle with. Over the past few months I am also done with wearing anything that is not soft and comfortable, so as I go through pants and shorts I expect to purge from that category.

On a side note, I organized a small Social Distancing picnic tomorrow with some neighbors. BYO everything- no sharing of food apart from your spouse and chairs at least 6 feet apart . Masks optional. Most people around here do not wear a mask outdoors.

@rnmom : I just read your post which reminded me that I had to trash my hummingbird feeder. The shepherd's hook it was hanging on fell during heavy rains last weekend. I need to pick up a new one tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

I finally got rid of all my boxes full of my efforts from decluttering the house.  A friend is having a garage sale and she took all my loot.  I had it marked and priced to sell....there were about 7 boxes and I told her unless the couple of things I marked FIRM, let it go...what does not sell, I will either take to goodwill or pitch when the sale is over.  She runs the sale most of the summer.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs -That's awesome that your neighbor took that off your hands! I'm not in a good place to have a garage sale so I just drop off donations when I get a bag or two. I haven't been decluttering anything lately because we haven't been able to drop anything off and I don't need it all just sitting in a pile here. So I haven't wasted my time. 

There is an animal rescue group in town that has an annual garage sale in August, I'm thinking about saving a few things for that if they think that they will still have it. I'll have to see if I have anything that I think will actually make them a couple of bucks. And that's if our lovely governor even allows for garage sales this year. They don't take clothes so those still need to get donated. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN don't go crazy on beauty day. That stuff only keeps so long before you have to toss it.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @AuntG. I will try to be careful with my purchases today.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva 

Picnics sounds ideal.  Bet every invitee was super excited at this stage especially.  I might have to copy. (of course everytime I plan outdoor activity it rains or it is 100 degrees in shade, so I am hesitant)

Regarding wardrobe, I noticed my laundry over past three months has been my stretch "exercise" black pants and long sleeve tshirt.  Welcome spring skorts!