Valued Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

About 11 years ago I decided I wanted to try my hand at making candles. I bought a melting pot, thermometer, wax, wick stickers, natural wicks, wood wicks, fragrances, dyes, etc. 

I made a few and was disappointed just about every time I burned one. I gave up. Would you believe I kept all those supplies until yesterday? The whole box was given to a lady from church for her craft group. 

Adios candle supplies, go forth and light the world.

Valued Contributor

I have been a woman on a mission for at least a couple of years. I have gotten rid of so much stuff. Just the other day I got rid of clothing in every size and style that had been in boxes in a room for a very long time. Unfortunately I forgot they are not picking things up now so have about thirty bags in my garage on hold. Today I went out on my patio and threw away stuff piled up in an area that came from a remodeling project ten years ago! I still have tons to do overall, but I can finally see a Faraway light at the end of the tunnel.
Honored Contributor

Two books went into the donate pile yesterday. I organized my recycling a bit better so that perhaps I can live with it for a few more weeks, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, time for you all to make fun of me.  Have at it.  I can see the dropped jaws, giggles and eye rolling from here.  I even eye rolled myself this morning, LOL.

For the first time in my ENTIRE life, I am out of paper shopping bags.  

Ok, hold on.  I just looked in my storage bin again as I started typing and I have 1, count em, 1 short shopping bag left.  That's it.  It's really got a cute pattern on it and it's from Talbots and I hate to part with it.

This has never happened to me.  Used to be I could count on going to The Container Store and they always put my purchases in a paper shopping bag, by my request.

I had them running out the.....ears.

Well, no more.  With my decluttering and donations to Goodwill and taking items to consignment and reduced in store purchases, I am down to one small shopping bag.

And so.....and so.....let the jaw dropping, eyes rolling and giggling begin..... I BOUGHT some bags from Amazon!

I know, are you kidding me?  But I didn't know where else to get them.

Now I will have TONS of them as the tall shopping bags are an order of 50!!!!!!  LOL, LOL.  I also bought a pack of short shopping bags, but fortunately, only 10 in that pack.

I have my latest donations for Goodwill in a kitchen trash bag.

Our consignment store announced  a few weeks ago that donations have to come in now in either paper or cardboard boxes.  NO plastic bags.

And so, I was desperate and I took matters into my own hands and now I will have TONS of shopping bags to use and my decluttering can continue.

E9BCA2FF-96CB-484A-AD68-9723A39676DB.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@chihuahuamom - That's a huge accomplishment! That has to feel so good! Keep up the great work!

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh : Anything that encourages you to keep at the Purge process is $ well spent!

I have not seen paper shopping bags in ages. j.jill and Chico's might still have them.

The only ones in my front hall closet are all small- good for DS, DDIL and others to tote home leftovers

Valued Contributor

Book purge, box #6: out of this box, I kept 1 plant book for reference, and 5 non-fiction to read later. I tossed 3 Reader's Digest magazines from 1980, '86 and '90. Ten books will go to donation.

Total so far, out of 117 books and a few magazines: tossed 7, S/O kept 3, I kept 15, we have 92 for donation.

Many more boxes to go...

Valued Contributor

The Apocolypse is officially here, my friends!  Plagues, fires, and @gidgetgh  running out of shopping bags.Woman LOL

Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse" Scarf by rott515 | Redbubble

Valued Contributor

Book purge: box # 8 was only partially filled. It contained 2 old AARP Bulletins and 7 books. I kept one Yoga/Pilates instruction book, SO kept one fiction, and 5 will be donated.

Honored Contributor

Cleaned out the linen closet and sent a 33 gallon huge garbage bag full of towels and wash cloths off to my son. The bag was so big and so heavy I could barely get it into the car by myself! 

That closet looks better!