Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

@drizzellla - I think this has already been mentioned, but usually your local animal control or animal shelter will take any used linens that you want to get rid of. Blankets, sheets, pillows, towels, etc. they use all of it. You don't even have to bother trying to track down a specific church, just check with your local animal shelter, humane society, etc. and see what they can use. 

Honored Contributor

have been ruthless in my closet.

Honored Contributor

I am emptying out the spare bedroom closet. I can not believe what was in the closet. I just ran across a bag of pants. There were about 15 pairs of pants from QVC. All still had the tags on them. Many were Dialogue, Susan Graver, Denim and Co, etc. I must have bought them to wear to work. And obviously I never did. 

I had always stored all my nicer clothes in this closet. But it seemed I rarely wore nicer clothes to work. And now that I am retired, I rarely venture into that closet. I can not believe all the money I wasted. So far I have 6 trash bags and 2 boxes. 

One thing that is so sad to see as I get rid of the contents of my closet. How well the dresses and suits that I am donating are made. Many have invisible zippers. The seams are bound. The detail makes the dresses look so nice. Even casual skirts were lined. The detail makes the clothing fit nicely. And the fabric is such quality, even squashed in a closet they come out and still look nice.

Oh well, time to move on.

Respected Contributor

I turn 65 this year, and the back half of my table was covered with piles of Social Security and Medicare mailings and info.  Finally got sick of it and got some beautiful flowered file folders and a metal rack for them....now my important stuff is stored, but easily accessible and looks nice.

i took all the winter stuff from my closet and have been working on just having the warm weather stuff there.  Mid-afternoon I took a big bag of clothes to Goodwill (before I could change my mind lol!).

More to do in there, but it looks a lot better!

Esteemed Contributor

Just about finished going through summer sandals and sneakers.

4 pairs of sandals and 1 pair of shoes to donate. As I age, I find I don't wear sandals that don't have enough support or are too flat- that's why 2 pair of $$$ Naot sandals did not make the cut. (1 pair did- for now...)

For the moment I have gone through my summer clothes. Will look at what's in the upstairs closets, maybe before the end of this month.

I am pleased with the progress. Because I know exactly what I have in each room I am comfortable adding what I need. I know they are needs and not wants and are not duplicates. Last weekend for my garage sale I think I was selling 3 or 4 duplicate pairs of scissors. No more of that!

I still would like to continue revisiting the purge process for 15-20 minutes/ day several days per week in order to keep on top of things, and I enjoy reading about everyone's progress.

Tomorrow's mini-purge: the car. It's been a while.

Honored Contributor

Wow, ladies, you all are rocking. Can't believe I haven't been on the boards for 3-4 days and how many new entries were posted.
I'm another who lives where burning is permitted, so I need this week to do my file purge, which I have put off, so that I can just burn those papers instead of shredding them, I do have a bit of yard cleanup and downed branches from our many storms, still waiting for the right day, to burn, so want to get the papers ready. It will be my last burn till fall.
I donate old towels, blankets, etc to my local animal shelter. Everything else go to a place who employees handi-capped persons, they also do resale which then benefits the handi-capped. Right next door is the re-cycle center, which employs the same people, so it is a win for the whole town. Right after the hurricane which devastated Texas and Florida so badly, one local pet shop advertised they would be going to those areas to help with the many animals displaced, so I took in as many towels and such as I could do without, also my dogs toys which she has, in abundance, and bought several big bags of dog food for them to take along. At that time I had also donated bags and bags of clothing and shoes for those affected.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I have a small shopping bag just about ready to go to Goodwill with just some odds and ends in it.  Nothing exciting.

I also took 3 purses to consignment this morning.  Purses are my “thing” and I’m trying to get them down to the point where the ones I have I use a lot.  These three just weren’t getting used, but they should sell very quickly.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I rehomed a rubber duck yesterday.  About now you might be thinking a rubber duck, who in the heck sells them.

Well I do when it looks like this, lol.

Image result for prince celebriduck

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I've been striking while the iron (me!) is hot.  Filled 3 more bags for Goodwill...one of clothing, one of sheets and pillowcases not being used (keeping only 2 sets per bed), and a third of holiday decorations that didn't see the light of day/night last year, along with a handful of reading glasses that were never used...I have a whole basket full of them, and don't need that many!

Good feeling to get rid of this unused stuff!!!

Esteemed Contributor

So far today: cleaning, laundry, a quick run to the grocery store and purged:

Some papers that had collected in the storage ottoman in the living room.

Purged the interior of the car, complete with vacuuming and exterior wash. No sooner was the car washed then the sky clouded over. Was forecast to be a sunny day, no clouds.

Will drop off old linens for the local animal shelter this afternoon.