Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

Today we no I threw away outside old decorative stuff that was a hot mess. DH decided to wash it all as he was taking it out of the shed. Don’t wash throw away. Had a pile of wet things to put in the garbage.
Honored Contributor

Although it feels like winter, we finished our room-by-room Spring cleaning with the kitchen. I got rid of old pot holders and dish towels. There was some white chocolate dating back to Christmas so that went too. The house probably doesn't look that different to anyone else, but DH and I know how much elbow grease we put into it during the last month.

Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 - What an amazing sale! I wish I lived in a good place for a garage sale. Where we're located is not the best spot, so I haven't had a good sale since before we moved, after my mom died in the summer of 2011 was our last sale. 

We might have another one when we move out of this place someday but that won't be for many years to come, when the kids are gone and we're ready to downsize. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs -Awesome job getting the whole house purged! I never feel like I'm done, because items are always coming in and therefore items are always going out too. But, that's just the stage of life I'm in right now, and that's ok.

I do small purges throughout the year, usually as seasons change, so that the house doesn't get too full and we get too stuffed and backed up. Plus I look at items all the time just as I'm going thru the house and if something has lost it's usefullness, out it goes.

Someday, when the kids are grown, and it's just me and hubby and there's less transitioning maybe I'll get "done" but that won't be for a long time yet. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom ....Purging is/was a tad easier at my house, it's just me and my husband.  I realize that when there are children involved, it's not as easy to keep the house purged of extra stuff.  I remember my mom storing things for my brother, she was not thrilled but did it!

Honored Contributor

I've gone through the downstairs hall closet, found "another" set of king sheets that are set aside to donate. Then a tray from the guest room that is unnecessary that will go. I pulled all the pool sized towels from that closet and have them out to wash/refresh then they will go back in the closet (it's handy for anyone who forgot their towel to grab one from that closet)
Now all that is left is the file cabinets and file drawers from the desk, the dreaded paperwork.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No decluttering for 2 days? Lol, me either, except in the yard, been working on 'purging' my flower beds of fall/winter debris. Thought I'd post again to bring the thread back up the line some. Purge on, ladies.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Continuing to sell things on FB marketplace. I sold this week alone, a set of Temp-tations dinnerware, four TT insulated tumblers, a set of TT bowls, my cream TT pig and chicken salts. Listed a TT drink dispenser, but still not sold. 

I sold about 8 candle pedestals and candle sticks yesterday, that I wasn't using anymore, have a pair of Luminara candles being picked up tomorrow that I never really liked (a brown glitter set). 

I've actually been buying some things for resale, on a very small scale, as I don't want to bring in anything that will stay. I've been really successful with that and so far, have moved on almost everything I've purchased for resale (when it doesn't move quickly, I bundle items to make the sale more lucrative). I tend to at least triple my money (sometimes much more), and I'm sticking with what I know best, vintage cookware (Revereware, Corningware, Pyrex). 

I will say, making the money has been great, but it does add a bit of stress, bringing things into the house, when trying to empty it. My process has been to bring it in, clean it up and I keep a table in the garage with everything I have listed, on it. That is all the space I'm allowing for 'purchased for resale' items. I'm  not letting it get mixed in with my own things, or my own things that I'm selling off. Still, I'm hoping once the kitchen remodel is underway, to not be doing this anymore. It is just been such an easy and fun way to generate some funds for that project. 

Honored Contributor

Weather was ideal for burning trash last night, so that eliminated a big pile in the basement.  

Teacher daughter is agreeable to trashing a large large container of odds and ends that she bagged up last summer, but didn’t know what to do with.   I have the bag in the garage ready to go out on Friday.

My husband gave away his insulated boots today.  He will have to have all new shoes IF he can get his foot healed, so he has accepted his fragile foot will never go into those insulated boots again.   2 less items in my way in the basement.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I think I may have trashed my brain while purging...

I was about to get rid of a new body lotion that I had previously used and liked, Soap & Glory. This time around it was not working for me: difficult to apply, not smoothing on my itchy skin. Was ready to pitch it this morning. Took a closer look at the label. OMG- it's shower gel, not body lotion!

Working on the seasonal closet change. Truly insane number of clothes, especially black pants! The denim jeans are under control. I only wear pants in the following colors: black, denim, gray and olive, with just a couple pairs of white. Going through the black pants will require a separate effort. That said, I only pitched one little scarf. Pathetic, but clothing is the category I most hate to part with. Oh, I did put aside three clothing items that are now way too large. I will pitch more as I go to wear them if the fit is too large. The weight has stayed off for almost 2 years now, so I think it may be OK to never revisit the old size again.

One thing is for sure: there will be NO more clothing purchases, hopefully for the rest of the year! ( I may cave on Linea on occasion ).