Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

For our generation of working women, TV shopping was such a novelty and convenience!

We had the world at our fingertips for the first time, and a credit card of our own.

Many of us fell hard, fast and often for the lure and sales pitch. For our children- they grew up seeing QVC and the others, so it's not a novelty. They have embraced the concept of online shopping, especially Amazon. They have seen what Too Much Stuff can do to a home and family and have rejected that way of spending their hard earned money, that is, what is left after student loan repayment, rent or mortgage.

Many of us have had Enough. It is never too late to live better. We here are all increasing the purge and decreasing the shopping in whatever ways works for each individual. It is a habit that time and repetition make easier.

Today I tossed a kitchen towel from the dryer into the rag bag. A light color- although clean it just looked too stained. Also put a match stick lighter in the garage sale box. I no longer have an outdoor grill to light and I have at least 2 others in various locations for lighting candles, plus one spare.

Respected Contributor

Decided to drop the old quilt and shams at Goodwill today.  Since I was going anyway, I took a bag and made a quick perusal through my closet...filled the bag with stuff that's nice but but hasn’t been worn in some time, and now it’s all out of the house.  

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen -great post! 

At least you live alone and can decide what goes and what stays. I have a darling husband and 2 kids and have to deal with all their "stuff" on a daily basis. 

Someday the kids will grow up and move out (hopefully) and take a lot of their stuff with them, but I will still have all of hubby's stuff to deal with. So much junk that he just has to have. Some of it is useful, tools, etc. Some of it, not so much. I think that he definitely has more than he needs. 

I totally understand the women who lose a spouse and have to do major decluttering purges when the man passes. If I were to outlive him, I can't imagine what I would do with everything he has accumulated. A whole pole barn full. I don't even know what half of it is. I guess that's when I would ask my boys. Hopefully I'll go first and I won't have to deal with it. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I'm giving some things to my neighbor...she has 4 kids under age 10...a sewing machine and a punching bag! A bit random, but I'm glad to move them out of my home. 

Also have 3 bags of clothes & handbags to take to consignment shop.  I found a consignment shop that pays you for your items or gives you store credit when you bring them in.  I have actually found some new items there...bought a Brahmin handbag and a Michael Kors handbag with the store credits.  

I'm in a bit of a "limbo" phase...I have 2 young adult children, both live in apartments, and hopefully will take some of our old furniture this summer.  If not, I will try to sell or donate.

Valued Contributor

Broke down 6 more cardboard boxes for recycling. I have so much more floor space! (160 items gone YTD)

Esteemed Contributor

T-shirts from sporting events DH participated in just went out.

My story is this:  life got a bit more prosperous as time has gone on, so I now have to resist the urge to keep everything until it's last possible use has been wrung from it.  I can afford to replace things that I once could not, and I have things that I once considered non-essential.

I enjoy very much, the things I have.  I enjoy having options when it comes to things like decor and dishware.  I just like things to be somewhat orderly, and to know what I have, and what we might need in the household.  I do keep an eye on the budget, too, and keeping up with "things" serves a useful purpose.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I packed up some linens, a pressure cooker and a spiralizer to donate.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Othereeeen  I'm with you and not bringing much in now.  Only in month 1 but I am out this year for qvc buying.  Someone else can fill that spot.  And I bought a lot here!  I know I'll feel good when 6 months pass and I can say I didn't buy anything on qvc.  I have plenty to purge yet.  

Respected Contributor

We've made a bit of progress so far this week around the house. I got my photo/filing project completed for now. I tossed a few more pictures and finished organizing and putting away the ones I'm keeping for now. I also filed some things away in the filing cabinet that were on the bookcase, did a bit more shredding, and recycled a few papers and envelopes. It's not a huge visual change, but it at least looks a bit neater up there. 

Hubby and kids are off on spring break this week and they've been getting a bit of work done outside, picking up random snow toys that were laying around, working on stacking the wood pile and picking up random pieces, putting some items that were in the garage away into the pole barn. We found a remote control helicopter to add to the donate box and hubby tossed a big, plastic case of some sort that was taking up room on a shelf. I was glad to see that go. I don't think he got rid of much, but again, it looks a bit cleaner and neater.

Found an old computer mouse to toss and tossed a worn out belt. I STILL haven't managed to get our donations out of the house. We had a bit of a plumbing issue come up last weekend and getting that resolved was our priority. I hope to get them out by this weekend at the latest.

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to tackle next. I want to go thru the mudroom closet, maybe that will be next. I might also make another pass at my linen closet. My mother in law just gave my son 3 sets of towels with his name on them. It was really nice, but now the closet is pretty crammed again. I might see if I can find some old ones to downgrade to dog towels.

Most of the things that I want to work on right now are outside, and it's still just a bit too cold for me to be spending a lot of time outside. We need new mulch, grass seed, etc. As anxious as I am to get going on some of that, I think it's going to have to wait a few more weeks at least. 

Everyone is doing so well purging and I just wanted to thank everyone for keeping this thread going. It helps keep me accountable to be able to post what I've gotten done (or didn't) and helps keep me motivated to continue the process. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

I filled my recycling bin and it's so heavy I'm not sure I can lug it to the curb.  Back to the basement to see if anything else can be thrown out.