Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

Started my day off on the wrong foot, so to speak, when I took the dog out and slipped in the snow. Didn't fall, but in trying to stay upright, I twisted my back.
But I did go through my utensil drawer, removed everything and cleaned thoroughly, 3 duplicate items not put back in.
Re-thought one of the previous cabinets purge and pulled out one more large casserole dish to be donated.
I no longer cook for huge crowds so it's time to let some of these large pieces go. It also makes it simpler to access the items I do use on a regular basis.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

This year I've been working on small areas and nooks. Closets, most recently. Just moving things around and setting aside items I didn't wear at all last season. Gave away several pairs of pretty, but uncomfortable shoes. Said goodbye to a few tee shirts I no longer wear to the gym. I've kept these because I bought on vacation and the good memories, but let them go anyway. Organized my office desk this year, too. Replaced pens with new pens. The good pens from the 'pencil' holder walked away and crummy pens were left. I will say I noticed the hall closet is in disarray. Don't know when it happened, but I could tell you who did it -- my adorable but messy husband. Oy.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Teacher daughter made good use of time off this week, and burned a lot of stuff we had piled up in the basement.   It’s nice to go downstairs and not see that huge growing pile of boxes and papers.   

Honored Contributor

Two picture frames that I never really liked (why did I keep them all this time?) and a Bible (husband goes to auctions and oftentimes gets things in lots, and we don't have use for many of the things in the lot. Usually, we trash, burn or donate what we need to, but we had accumulated a number of Bibles that we just don't need as we have a collection of several family ones already).

About a half a dozen books I haven't read and probably never will, are going out too. Given to me by a friend after she found them in a thrift, read them and thought I would enjoy the author. I read some of them, but just haven't gotten around to these, so they just need to go. 

I save some of my all time favorite older magazines. Mainly Country Living from the 1980's and 90's, older Reminisce, and Taste of Home.

I need to go through them again and get rid of the more recent ones. None of these magazines, which I used to just pour over again and again, are worth even picking up at thrift stores anymore.They have all changed so much that I find nothing of value in them, so when I do end up with some of the newer ones, from like the last 10 years or so, I read them quickly and try to move them back out, as they just aren't worth saving, to me. I still have and enjoy the older ones, but every year when I go through my magazines, I find at least a dozen I can part with!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought some new vitamins yesterday, and when I was putting them in the cupboard, I realized that there were a few older containers pushed way to the back.  Sure enough, there were some odds-and-ends vitamins and supplements that were seriously expired.  ~ groan ~.  I threw them all away.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn’t get much done this week.  Too much time in meetings and on the phone with follow up from the meetings.  I have one job left and it is my office supply closet.  I don’t think there is much to be done there but every time I head for it, I get side tracked.

Wish me luck girls.  That is my goal for next week.  To finish my last closet. Whew!  What a job.  A full two months and this house will be done top to bottom.  I am so glad to know the end is near.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Today: just two old, dirty, useless, too small recycling bins.What took me so long to be rid of them? Put them in the community dumpster area along side the large recycling bins.

Honored Contributor

I found yet another huge, cut glass platter that I haven't used in years and a few other odds and ends my granddaughter might, or might not like to add to the growing pile.
I also ran across a really old little recipe box (the kind with the flip up lid that snaps closed) stuffed full, so I spent some time looking through that, but discarded everything in it except for a couple recipes in my mom's handwriting, so I saved them for sentimental reasons.
I have some things loaded in the car ready for drop off probably tomorrow and spent the rest of my day doing some general cleaning and running some errands.
Hoping to get the bathroom purged, along with the linen closet this weekend and be ready to at least start on my bedroom next week.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I cleaned out the 2 cats potty.

Respected Contributor

Today has been spent puttering around the house, feeding the bird feeders, and finally going to go work in the yard.  Among the cleaning and moving items around, I posted a bakers rack and some Jim Shore Easter baskets for sale and put a few dishes, and a copper chef griddle into the donate pile.  

What was I thinking when I bought that griddle.  It's flat, which means everything cooking will splatter all over the stovetop, except maybe for pancakes, and I can't even remember the last time I made pancakes. 

I'm still at this purging exercise....slow and steady.   Later tonight, I'm going to try to tackle the 1/2 finished walk in closet.  I can't even tell you the number of handbags and matching wallets I have.  Those will stay but the endless extra clothes, socks, and scarves have got to be thinned out!

......You look like I need a drink.....