Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

@AuntG, my punch bowl went a couple of years ago in a garage sale.  My MIL was a dishes hoarder and she kept giving me more and more.  When I moved here, the movers said .... Mrs, you sure have a lot of dishes lol.

I was selling Drapes one day.  The lady I was selling them to was new to Canada.  She arrived a couple of days before, had a young family and was pregnant.  I ended up giving her the drapes and went home and put boxes of extra dishes, cutlery and bedding together for her family.  It was a welcome to Nova Scotia gesture.  Helped us both out!  LM

Valued Contributor

1//19: Today I dumped 20 jars of spices into the garbage and put the containers into the recycling bin. I was going to toss the 2 spice racks, but SO wants to give them to someone. This has made some much needed room on my counter. (60 items out so far)

Honored Contributor

My husband went out this Morning with his son and grandson. They left at 9:10. 

I needed to leave the house no later than 9:45 to go meet my sister and two of her children. 

In the 35 minutes I had by myself, I filled a really large shopping bag totally full. Overfull. Let’s just say I moved VERY quickly, LOL,  through the rooms and found things to donate. Just miscellaneous odds and ends, as always. A winter outdoors scarf that I’d been given as a gift a few years ago (I don’t wear scarves), two pairs of gloves, a knit hat, some costume jewelry bracelets, a purse, two coffee mugs, two rolls of new wrapping paper that I decided I was never going to use, some socks, a little change purse thingy and a nightgown. Oh, and a flameless candle that I’d grown tired of. I love flameless candles, but gravitate more to the plain ones now instead of the decorated ones (Candle Impressions) that I bought from QVC years ago.  Also two very small kitchen throw rugs.  I’d washed them last week and never put them back down. I put two others down instead that I like better.

I dropped the bag off at Goodwill this afternoon on my way home. Gone!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

The Salvation Army drop off today had the longest line of cars I've ever seen.  I assume is both post-holiday clean out and government shutdown garage and basement cleaning.

I did some reorganizing of my storage and got rid of a bunch of storage containers and some garden things.

I also took my old laptop to Best Buy for recycling.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I dropped off 5 boxes of donations at the Salvation Army center today.  It was nice to finally clear out all the items I've been gathering for a few weeks.  

I still have a lot more to go, but each box helps toward the goal of downsizing and clearing out the excess.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Valued Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

1//19: Today I dumped 20 jars of spices into the garbage and put the containers into the recycling bin. I was going to toss the 2 spice racks, but SO wants to give them to someone. This has made some much needed room on my counter. (60 items out so far)

I did the same thing recently... took a large spice rack off my countertop .. re-did my long top kitchen drawer and made it into a spice drawer with new labeled containers... re-used the spice rack .. attached it to my large pegboard in my craft room to use for craft paints and small jars of buttons.... works and looks great, too!... more room on my kitchen counter and was able to repurpose the spice rack.... feels good!

Respected Contributor

@Eager2Learn-Great job on the spices! I bet it is nice to have some extra counter space. I love clear counters and hate it when everyone leaves stuff sitting out on them. I used to have a spice rack sitting out too. I got one when I first moved out of the house, about 25 years ago. It sat out on my counter for probably about 15 years. One day I realized that most of the spice jars hadn't even been opened, so obviously I wasn't using it. I rarely use individual spices, if I do use something it is usually a spice blend of some sort. I finally got rid of it. It felt kind of sad at first to let it go, but I haven't missed it even a day since. I just keep my spices in a cupboard now. 

That is so funny about the punch bowl stories. I had one too that my mom passed on to me. I think she had gotten it when she got married. I maybe remember her using it once when I was a kid. She gave it to me many years ago and it sat down in my basement for a long time. After she died 8 years ago I got rid of it in a garage sale. We were getting ready to build a house and move and I didn't want to move it. I have never once thought about making punch and wishing that I had it back.

As I've been decluttering over the last several years, I've noticed that a lot of the items that I'm letting go of are things that I got because my parents had them and I grew up with them, so I thought I needed them too. But I've since come to find out that I don't use them at all. (like the above mentioned spice rack) Has anyone else noticed that? I remember when I registered for wedding gifts I registered for a lot of things that my mom had, but then after several years I didn't end up using half of it. I guess I hadn't made my own life yet and didn't know how I was going to live it or what I was going to want. But now at 48 I've figured more out and realize that I don't need to do everything like mom did, or have everything mom had. I've made my own life. So it's okay to get rid of things that don't serve MY life.

I went thru my junk drawers in the kitchen (yep, I have 2) and added a pair of sunglasses to the donate pile. Tossed a few odds and ends, another pair of sunglasses that were all scratched up, a lighter that didn't work, some extra address labels, a few small papers.Mostly just neatened them up.

I also tossed a reed diffuser that didn't have any scent anymore. There was still oil in the jar but I couldn't smell it. Dumped the oil and reeds and recycled the jar.

Honored Contributor

I gave my husband's bath room a super clean job....he cleans it weekly but, must I say more...he does not know the words DEEP CLEAN.  The room was pretty dirty!!

I took everything out...wiped off all toliteries, bottles, etc and cleaned every surface, pitched a few things, with his OK, and put everything back.  

I am just more than thankful that I do not have to share a bathroom with him.

Trusted Contributor

Today i dropped off a kitchen size trash bag of clothes and 3 grocery bags of Christmas decorations at the Goodwill.  I feel every thing that leaves the house, big or little, is a victory.  

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I gave my husband's bath room a super clean job....he cleans it weekly but, must I say more...he does not know the words DEEP CLEAN.  The room was pretty dirty!!

I took everything out...wiped off all toliteries, bottles, etc and cleaned every surface, pitched a few things, with his OK, and put everything back.  

I am just more than thankful that I do not have to share a bathroom with him.

Boy, do I understand what you mean by that last sentence. Sometimes I think there's a child here. I told my SO today that I scrubbed away the science project that was growing in his toilet. He say he hadn't noticed anything. There was mold growing in there! How can someone not notice that? This is also the guest bathroom!