Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I donated a brand new yogurt maker. DH filled another bag of clothes. Can't even tell in the closet.  But he's doing more than me! LOL.  I did give away my Halloween & Christmas t-shirts.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio you are imposing a very strict spending program in the first quarter. With January being a cold month, I should be able to institute a spending freeze. Hope it works well for you.

Honored Contributor

Pitched two near see through face cloths and pitched a dishtowel that had a hole in it.  How I got a hole in it is beyond me.  That prompted me to look through all of the dish towels and face cloths.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I put away all the Christmas decor yesterday from the main floor and in doing so, tossed 2 strands of lights that only half worked and tossed some ornament hooks that were not very nice. It was weird, but it was like the metal was rusting, but it wasn't rust colored, it was gray. So weird. Plus they were a tangled mess. I actually bought brand new replacements for both the other day. 

Kids tossed 3 decorations that they made at various events for school, scouts, etc. I asked them if they wanted to keep them for the future and they said no, so out they went. 

I'm going to donate one small package of 6 ornaments and a small kid's random toy that I found in the living room. 

I need to organize the rest of the items that I didn't use this year and put away my new purchases and see if there is anything else to donate or toss, then I'd like to label the tubs and be set for the year. 

I also went thru my closet a bit as I was putting away some new tops that I got and added 2 sweaters, one sweatshirt and one long sleeved top to my donate pile in the spare room. Even though they looked nice, none of them were terribly comfortable, so I never wanted to wear them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I tossed a couple bags of frozen riced cauliflower from the freezer. Hate the waste, but I hate the clutter more. Still have plenty of the cauliflower remaining and now a little bit more room in the freezer.

My challenge to myself for January is to clean out the freezer by eating through it's contents.I will try to visit the food store just once a week, starting immediately.

I must come up with an austerity plan for 2020. Two out of town family weddings; maybe a third, a big trip abroad this summer, increase in health insurance, purchase of a hearing aid and who knows what else.

Honored Contributor

This one is the reverse of decluttering, lol. For the last couple days, the power cord for my laptop has been wonky (not fitting snugly when plugged in, at the computer), today I was on the verge of hitting the order button for a new one, when I realized I have a bag of extraneous assorted cords downstairs. One of them fit perfectly, yay, money saved. Not a ton of money, but money all the same. And, btw, that bag of misc. cords is going to be trashed now. lol
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I am cleaning some things out of my Mom's attic now. Yesterday I found an

old paper bag filled with light bulbs. They must have been over 20 years old.

They were still in the cardboard package, which were mostly yellow. Tossed

out old boxes and tissue paper that were also years old. 

She has old crutches up there. I asked her where they are from and she

says that my sister brought them over. I asked my sister if she wants them

back and of course she tells me no. So I will dispose of them soon.

I will continue cleaning when time allows. I still have to do alot more work

up there.

Honored Contributor

I tossed an old bedskirt, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1
I cut all appliance cords off and save them. Trucker daughter strips the plastic off and saves the copper wire. The last ball of copper wire she recycled, put $48 in her pocket.
Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
@Snicks1
I cut all appliance cords off and save them. Trucker daughter strips the plastic off and saves the copper wire. The last ball of copper wire she recycled, put $48 in her pocket.

My husband is a retired electrician and for years the guys were allowed to bring the extra wire home and he always stripped it and took the copper wire to sell.   A few years before he retired they put a stop to that.   That was unfortunate because he was able to make a nice amount of extra money from the stripped wire.

Since he retired he always does what your daughter has done and strips all of the cords and anything that has copper wire.    He saves it until he has a decent amount and then we take the money and do something fun with it.