Trusted Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

Today I went through my socks, underwear and bras.   I was able to reduce down the quantities and get rid of well worn items.  I'm trying to start with the easier clothing items first.  I'm also trying to implement Dana White's container concept:  the items you keep must fit into the designated container (area).  

Respected Contributor

@rnmom LOL, I still have 2 large tubs of beanie babies in the garage - those will eventually get purged.  All are brand new and clean, and wondering if I can donate them to the police to give to children during difficult situations? I guess all I need to do is give them a call.  Put that on the list this week.

Today I'm purging my linen closet.  I have found that I must have 50 pillowcases for just me!  What was I thinking!  I was able to neatly stack them so now I can go through and pick out the better ones to keep and the rest go.  

Purging a couple of shower curtains and liners that I never used, and some quilts and similar.  Took out the large round rug under my dining room table and the room looks bigger already.

I saw a similar house in my neighborhood that is for sale and the pictures are beautiful.  If I had unlimited money, I would copy that house and it's decor.  Looking at those pictures and looking at my house (and I truly love my house and my decor), it made me realize how much extra "stuff" I have on the countertops and tables.  

So, that being my motivation, today I'm purging and cleaning. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Yesterday I went through a couple cabinets and 3 drawers in my laundry room, actually for the first time ever, nothing to purge. But then I found a set of curtains that I honestly thought I had taken to the donation center long ago. Huh? Don't know how that happened. So those curtains are now sitting where I will readily see them on my way out the door. Today, no purging, except for the 20" of snow on my driveway, lol. That's gone so I guess that's gonna be enough for today.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

Today I went through my socks, underwear and bras.   I was able to reduce down the quantities and get rid of well worn items.  I'm trying to start with the easier clothing items first.  I'm also trying to implement Dana White's container concept:  the items you keep must fit into the designated container (area).  

@DecorDiva

This is how I started. 

I realized that some things, I had stored in multiple places in the house. 

As I cleaned out areas every year, it became evident that I needed (for my own sanity) to try and get all like things in one area, where possible. In seeing everything of a particular category, it became clear which things I wanted or needed a good supply of and what things were just too much of a good thing. 

I chose some things to make a permanent home for, and worked on getting what I was going to keep of that item pared down to fit that area. It can be something as simple as one drawer only for undergarments, or just the linen closet for towels, then everything that doesn't fit, must go.

It took a bit of trial and error, as our storage spaces (closets mostly) are very small. I had to make some adjustments about who's home would be where, when I would end up with more  of something than would fit in it's original designated space, or weed out a particular category of stuff a second or third time to make it fit.

I noticed that my spaces for things once established were very full that first year. As each year passes, I keep that original space, but unstuff it more each year. 

It has been a process for me, and I'm far from finished, but the first step of having everything I own in any particular category all in one place (and limiting that space to be all I keep of that item), then each year paring down that area to be more and more suitable/workable/accessible has been rewarding. 

I'm happy to take some time to get this done. I've made quite a bit of money selling things rather than just giving them away, I've been able to be sure I don't over purge, then regret it, or get rid of things that I wish I had kept, by doing some areas of 'harder for me to let go of things' slowly, and really being ruthless in other areas, with things that I have no problem moving out (clothing is one of those things for me). And I wanted to avoid the trap that often happens with purging, where people pare down a particular category, only to find out in a year or two, they got rid of too much/many and now have to go out and buy more, as they have used up/worn out the few they saved (I see this as being more in the area of clothing, linens and similar things). I really don't see any sense in purging so heavily you have to turn around and buy new in a short time. 

But it is funny you mentioned the undergarments drawer. That is where I start every year at this time, as I begin the winter clean out of all the drawers, closets, and cabinets.

Honored Contributor

@danusz wrote:

Each year I do anannual decluttering of closets, drawers etc.  Since we have living in our condo for 8 years I took everything out of all kitchen cupboards pantry shelves and drawers.  I then cleaned out inside of each space, purged many items and restocked items i kept.  Also I had an extensive Hallmark ornament collection that I wasnt using anymore which just sat in a plastic bin in the garage.  Decided to give some sentimental ones to my kids and sell the others on ebay.  I was surprised that I made over $350 just on the ornaments.  I figured lets see what else I can sell.  I found some Beanie Babies that my son had collected when he was young.  I am now selling those, hopefully another $350 would be nice.  It's amazing that one persons trash is anothers treasure.

@danusz

I began about a year ago, seeing if I could sell a lot of the things I was purging every year. I knew I was donating a lot of things in the past, that I could get at least a little bit of money out of, and over the years I know that total was really adding up to a lot of money I could really put to good use. I too was surprised how easy it was to move things, and how quickly the money added up. It's in the thousands of dollars at this point and I'll be moving things out for the next couple of years, for sure. 

Good luck with selling more things you come across!

Honored Contributor

Went thru my many sheet sets for each of our beds--going to pair it down to 2 or 3 sets--

Trusted Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
Yesterday I went through a couple cabinets and 3 drawers in my laundry room, actually for the first time ever, nothing to purge. But then I found a set of curtains that I honestly thought I had taken to the donation center long ago. Huh? Don't know how that happened. So those curtains are now sitting where I will readily see them on my way out the door. Today, no purging, except for the 20" of snow on my driveway, lol. That's gone so I guess that's gonna be enough for today.

snicks - thanks for the laugh.  Now I feel fotunate that I only have 8"!  I'm going to wait it out until it melts since I don't have to go anywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

Was not sure where to purge today.

Yesterday's PW purge was gift wrap. Thought I could pass this one by. OK, I will just check on it. Well, did not need to get rid of anything, but I did need to organize it and make the area neat as well as do an inventory. Christmas gift wrap is stored in the basement with the Christmas stuff. I do not need to purchase anything this year in the Gift Wrap category- nothing. Maybe a roll of gift wrap at Christmastime; nothing before then.

While upstairs I also went through my desk and bookshelf and tossed a few items. Feeding the trash and recycling is good! Also went through a few Linea whisper knits to take inventory.

Later I will address PW's purge for today. Need to go through a couple of under bed storage containers. That will do it for today. Each purge is getting easier and taking less time. I am also getting comfortable with how much letting go is right for me. Not going all- out Spartan, but living with a lot less.

I do choose to keep papers from when my DSs, now in their 20's, were in school. The papers are stored in 4 or 5 banker's boxes and I have plenty of space to store them in my basement. Went through the boxes before and after moving this year. Yes, those papers brought much joy and many laughs! Keepers.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

1/14: I spent 15 minutes working on the piles of paper clutter on my desk (barely made a dent). I found a 2018 calendar that was never used. I'm feeding the recycling bin. (15 items out so far). 

@queendiva, I think "live with less" should be my mantra.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday I decided to start to take down the Christmas decor.  As I went into the closet under the basement stairs to retrieve the decor containers I thought, hmm it's been awhile since I checked what's in the cardboard boxes (2).  Suffice it to say, that's when I began to suffer missing time.  I smelled something a wee bit musty which led to removal of everything in the area.

I purged some collectors magazines and books.  I photographed and then purged some things from when I was 'wee'.  They had a musty smell and I got a thing about musty smells.  I shredded 4 shredders full of greeting cards.  Bodice of wedding dress (all I had saved, went).  Honestly I can't recall everything that was sorted into toss/recycle pile.

All I know is 3 or 4 hours later, after running up a down the same flight of stairs, I was worn out and exhausted.

About as far as I got with Christmas after that was tossing the candy canes that I hung on the tree (not that crazy about peppermint) and taking down 8 Christmas cards I had on display over the fire place hearth.

Was an unexpected turn in my plans but productive nonetheless.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise