Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

Added one pair of moto boots to the donation bag. No zipper- too hard to take on & off.

Items listed on FB Marketplace. I will give them some time to sell before donating. 

As soon as snow is forecast I think I will have a taker for the snow blower.

Honored Contributor

I finally parted with a cashmere sweater that is in like new conditon, sneakers and of all things a bible. I'm prefering the new CSB. My husband just got rid of 2 old kerosene heaters.

Honored Contributor

I gave one of my nephews one of those copper bacon cooker racks w/tray for catching the grease. I just didn't like how the bacon turned out using it, so it will be gone on Thursday. That's it, lol. But it is one more thing gone. Baby steps are all I can seem to manage lately.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Added 2 small items to the donate box: a cut crystal creamer and a nice, small round basket with leather handles. It's good, but I have no place for it. The basket is currently living in the garage. A box and a bag are ready for Goodwill on Friday or Monday.

I have learned that an item must be good for me, not just good in order to live in my home. It must have both a place and a function. Seasonal decor lives in the basement. Each season's items must live in one plastic storage bin, with the exception of Christmas.

Regular Contributor

well, we are in the process of “down sizing, I guess..finally! My husband is trying to motivate me..I have been holding up progress, and taking up WAYYy too much space.

So, the Salvation Army truck came last Friday. We had 8 huge garbage bags full of good reusable clothing, plus a wooden kitchen table and 4chairs.

Then on Sat. We went to the Ice skating rink, and threw 6 coats/jackets, and several scarves and gloves into a donation box that they had set up.

For the past week we have been filling Rubbermaid boxes with pots and pans, glassware, stainless steel ware, etc, plus a service for twelve almost new Phaltsgraff dinnerware set, that had been sitting in boxes in the basement since about 1995 omg.. it does feel good to finally clear out this stuff... but wait.. there’s more...

I just couldn’t bear the thought of having a rummage sale. Way too much work and organization.

I’m glad that we will have at least a lot less junk for the kids to clear out when we’re gone...hopefully bthat won’t be for a while

And this isn’t even counting all of the stuff that went in the trash!

Boy that felt good to let it all out..aren’t you glad you asked? Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@likeitis: props to you and your hubby! Thanks for sharing your success.

We know just how good it feels to "release" stuff- for others to enjoy and to trash, when that's the way to go. Doing it ahead of the holidays is an even better idea.

Esteemed Contributor

@rnmom  I've noticed your Forum for so long, but I have never really purged. Well, I started today! We've kept a CD player in our dry sink for decades. Lately, we only play the CDs during Christmas or as background music during a family holiday dinner. Well, I have just retired and have started the Great Purge of late 2019! I couldn't believe what I found! Everything from Mozart to Doo Wop! I filled a huge box, but I kept the Christmas CD's and some of the Classical background music. The purging felt great!!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom -Welcome, so glad that you finally joined us! It's hard to do a lot of decluttering when you're working, raising a family, etc. Congrats on being newly retired and on starting a new journey! I will continue this thread until the end of the year and probably start a new thread for 2020 too, so please continue to join in!

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom : Welcome!

Our purges & successes are both large and small. Some of us, like myself, have already done the Big Purge (in my case moving & downsizing) and stop in here to share our daily, weekly and/or occasional smaller purges. Others want to tackle years of accumulation around their homes. There is always something to declutter. Our lives change and we find ourselves updating, reevaluating and trading in old habits for new and better.

Valued Contributor

Not nearly enough today or this entire year.  I give up.  So my question is:

Are there people who can be hired to decrap your house?

If it's not done by the end of the year, I'm just going to move and not take anything with me.