Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

I tossed a bottle of Coppertone Water Babies sunscreen once I was able to decode the manufacturing date.  Once Bayer bought out Coppertone they stopped including expiration dates.  Suffice it to say, even if I follow the "it's good for 3 years after the manufacture date" that bottle of sunscreen was expired 2 years ago Woman Surprised

I came across a satin "after 5" evening bag that I wore to my great nieces wedding almost a decade ago.  I learned that satin can get a little stiff - bordering on brittle Woman Surprised  I tossed it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11, you DH must be twin to mine🙄.  LM

Valued Contributor

1/9: Today I tossed a partial bag of frozen green beans. They've been in the freezer so long (months & months), I can't remember what I made them with. Also, from the junk drawer, I tossed a pair of scissors that were coming apart, a plastic object that neither one of us could identify, and a partial box of butterfly bandages (I think these were from my surgery in 1997)!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Tomorrow morning is the weekly trash pickup, so first purge of the day will be be the much needed fridge clean out. Next week: the freezer.

Also planned for tomorrow: continued work in the garage. Will be done by the end of this week, as planned.

Next week's purge zone will be the pantry.

Today: 5 full or nearly new tubes of body lotion went, as well as two old, small perfumes

Respected Contributor

The last couple of years I've been following a blog called Creating Mary's Home and she does a 91 day declutter challenge every year too. This week was the master bath and master bedroom closet. I found 5 tops to donate along with some shoelaces and 2 hair clips. 3 magaziness went into recycle and I tossed 4 remote controls that we don't know what they go to, and tossed a couple other small odds and ends from the bathroom, an attachment to the blowdryer I'll never use, a bag for an electric razor we don't have anymore, etc. I did a little organizing in the closet too, and rehomed a couple of items so I think it looks neater now even though not a lot went out. 

I also tossed a broken camera,  3 plastic lids and one bowl that I can't find mates to (how does this happen all the time??) and recycled a crossword puzzle book I finished. Added a dustbuster and a brand new crossword refill to the donate box.

Valued Contributor

Yesterday I decided to work on my file cabinet.... shredded almost 1/3 of it's contents and re-labeled the files.... now everything is sorted, reorganized and re-labeled ... what a chore!... but now it's done for another year... I try to go through it yearly to keep things under control.....

Now it's off to de-clutter a closet... it never seems to end... but keeps me busy doing something during this dreary time of year...

Hope everyone has a great day!

Esteemed Contributor

@ptagirl: ITA that purging keeps me busy at this dreary time of year. I will be so happy that I did it now once the spring weather arrives and I can spend time outdoors enjoying it!

I am also following Peter Walsh's Facebook page and his decluttering plan. Yesterday (1/9) it was hanging clothes. Was not really feeling it then, but I was haunted by a black blouse that I saw on my "black rack". Got up this morning and went quickly through the black rack, parted with that blouse and 5 other tops as well as a black jacket. Black may be classic, but styles still change and my size has, too. Not returning to that larger size, and it has been over 2 years. For me, clothes are hard to part with. I need to do a quick inventory every month or so as opposed to a closet purge that takes half a day or more.

Last year I decided to limit the color palette of my wardrobe and that has helped keep the size of my wardrobe more controlled.

Have a productive day fellow declutter-ers!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

This morning on the today show ,they were talking about a show coming soon , i forgot her name ,she is a tiny Japanese lady ,that will help with organizing, on netflix.

@goldensrbestMarie Kondo? My only issue with her tips for decluttering is that she tells her clients to ask themselves if they find joy in something before deciding to throw it out. Quite frankly, I don't find much joy in inanimate objects so her theories are lost on me. I prefer Don Aslett...

I think her approach is for those who have never done any clearing out at all, so I found nothing of value in the book and found the show tedious 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

My husband retired this past November so my decluttering is at a standstill. He keeps everything and if I throw something out or want to donate it, he takes it out of the car and or garbage can.

I just found a new Dooney handbag in the guest room closet that I "thought" he had brought to the church for donation. I found it too heavy to use and wore it once. Apparently, he thinks since it is new, he can carry it for me when we go out. LOL

Still going to continue getting the house in order for the Spring, though. It is just going to be a very, very loooooonnnnnnggggg process.

must be a man thing

has to be done when they are not home.

mine says he will be found in trash can too  

Honored Contributor

I forget to mention that I went through the drawer of stationary and cards.  I receive so many complimentary cards from charitable organizations that I support that I didn't see the new box of Christmas cards that I bought what 2 years ago? 

It was neat and tidy in the drawer when I went in there which is one of the my problems.  There's a place for everything and everything has a place even when I don't need everything. 

Suffice it to say, I put a stack of cards in my recycle box and will drop them off when I hit the recycling center this weekend.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise