Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

@alicedee : that looks SO good! In a small kitchen every inch counts!

I have been slacking lately, but this afternoon I, too am working around the kitchen, organizing, cleaning and doing some food prep. I decided to revisit the pantry again as it is now finally feeling more like Fall around here, which in my case means there will be more cooking than what I do during the summer.

This is my third time this year going through the pantry- a new record. I only found two duplicate vinegars- things I use infrequently: apple cider and rice wine. The RW was just past it's best by date and the ACV was an inexpensive one, so they were both tossed as was a boxed cake mix. A couple of other items were moved to canned goods storage in the garage. I also got up on the step ladder to go through the contents of the top shelf, which I had not done since January. The job went quickly, as the pantry was still organized: most smaller items are in clear acrylic boxes, so there is no avalanche of cans when I am looking for something!

I purchased a new acrylic step-type organizer for my spices. Don't know if I will get to that today, but maybe tomorrow. That should take 5-10 minutes -just one small cupboard shelf.

Next purge for today: my car, then off to the car wash.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva You got a lot done, too!  I love this thread....each time I read a new post it gives me incentive to keep going!

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@alicedee : that looks SO good! In a small kitchen every inch counts!

I have been slacking lately, but this afternoon I, too am working around the kitchen, organizing, cleaning and doing some food prep. I decided to revisit the pantry again as it is now finally feeling more like Fall around here, which in my case means there will be more cooking than what I do during the summer.

This is my third time this year going through the pantry- a new record. I only found two duplicate vinegars- things I use infrequently: apple cider and rice wine. The RW was just past it's best by date and the ACV was an inexpensive one, so they were both tossed as was a boxed cake mix. A couple of other items were moved to canned goods storage in the garage. I also got up on the step ladder to go through the contents of the top shelf, which I had not done since January. The job went quickly, as the pantry was still organized: most smaller items are in clear acrylic boxes, so there is no avalanche of cans when I am looking for something!

I purchased a new acrylic step-type organizer for my spices. Don't know if I will get to that today, but maybe tomorrow. That should take 5-10 minutes -just one small cupboard shelf.

Next purge for today: my car, then off to the car wash.

@queendiva - I love step organizers!  I have them in one kitchen cabinet and under my bathroom sink (2) and a smaller one in the cabinet under my husband’s bathroom sink. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Spice organization: done. All labels facing front. Let's see how long that lasts, LOL!

Only one duplicate found- rosemary. Another herb I seldom use. All seasonings are a year old or less.

I store my decaf Italian dark roast K-cups in that cupboard, separate from the other K-cups. Only 2 left for making cappuccino in my Keurig, so I'm glad I know to reorder before running out. Box recycled.

Respected Contributor

We did get a little bit of cleaning/organizing done in the garage this past weekend and I finished sweeping it yesterday. It's not pristine by any means, but it's as good as it's going to get. I don't know how some people manage to keep their garages as clean as their houses, mine always has dirt, leaves, bugs, cobwebs, etc, accumulating in it. 

We didn't toss much, a few small things, some scraps of paneling, broken piece to a cot, broken BB gun, chewed up dog frisbee. Hubby took some things out to his pole barn and hung a few things up on the wall to get them off the floor. Our extra freezer is out there and we got that defrosted too.

Overall, much nicer. It probably won't get touched again until next spring, once it starts to get cold we don't do much out there. I sure am glad that we invested in a pole barn for hubby, I can't even begin to imagine where we would put all of his stuff without it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Mini purge today. Went upstairs to select a fall handbag from my much loved and large collection. Decided to go through a small but very old box of documents. Most from the 90's. Tossed the 1986 federal income tax form and some other useless stuff. Saved DS's savings bonds, most of which have matured. He had forgotten all about them.

Wish someone could find me some money with my name on it. As if!

I suppose I have recycled a crazy amount of papers. The bin is just a week old and it looks like two!

Must get after the garage while the weather is good. Must find some time this month.

Respected Contributor

I added 2 plastic cups and  a small matchbox car to the donate bag.

I dragged a rusty wagon out to the end of the road for trash. The trash doesn't get picked up til Monday but it was nice weather so I just took it out there.

Thursday was our last day of nice weather, sunny and high 60's. Now it's down to the 40's-50's, rainy, damp and cool. So I took advantage on my days off this week to pick up  and putter outside a bit. I think I did pretty much everything that I can easily get, there are a few things that I would like hubby to put away before the snow flies. 

Respected Contributor

Hubby decided to bring home a huge new/used treadmill yesterday, (lucky me) so we had to find a place to put it. 

The kids have a pretty good sized playroom in the basement but are getting older and don't do a lot of "playing" down there anymore, so we decided to move hubby's exercise equipment into the playroom. We put the treadmill, his elliptical, recumbant bike and total gym all in there.

In the process we are tossing an air hockey table that was free and didn't work very well and 2 bean bag chairs that have lost most of their fluff. We condensed what was left and re-organized to make room. It doesn't actually look too bad, and the kids seem happy with it. I still just wish that there wasn't so much. 

We should go thru the kids' toy boxes, we didn't take the time yesterday, but I know there's stuff that they haven't used in ages and can probably go. We'll have to do that another day. 

We also tossed a large dog rope that was coming apart, a very big spotlight that didn't work and a worm box my son made. 

I added a small backpack and a hooded sweatshift to the donate bag. 

Honored Contributor

My linen closet thanks me. Got rid of worn sheets and blankets. Had new ones in reserve so didn't have to buy a thing. Also, convinced DH to toss a pair of jeans and two pair of dress pants with fraying hems.

Respected Contributor

I've been working on my bedroom closet.  Ordered two small metal shelf units for the closet floor...tossed the ugly, saggy plastic ones that were being used.  

Tossed one of those fabric closet hanging shelves..the ones with 6 compartments that hang from the curtain rod.  The different sections were sagging and looked ugly.  Now my sweaters are neatly folded on the metal shelves, with winter shoes/slippers underneath.  Put all the summer sandals away.

Added a couple t-shirts and a nightgown I never wear to the donate bag.

This next week I think I will go through my dresser drawers and do some purging and tidying.

It never really ends, does it!