Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I went thru one of our bathrooms and tossed a few small items: bottle of SPFI didn't like, duplicate small scissors we don't use, expired triple antibiotic, broken thermometer. 

I also found a few things to donate: matching shower curtain, bath mat, window valence and toothbrush holder. I got a new set a few months back and kept the old set in case I wanted it back. I don't, so it's time to donate. Also added to the donate bag a hand towel, a pair of shoes and 2 quilted vests. 

Respected Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

I took some miscellaneous things to a veteran's charity today.  As I'm looking though my fall decor I'm trying to find things I can let go of.  I like to decorate differently every year, so it is hard to let go of things I love and could use in the future.  But...how much is too much?  

Here's my 2 cents worth on this subject. I would not get rid of anything that you love and think that you may use in the future unless you either have no room to store it or financially it's a burden. 

Only you can decide how much is too much but the whole point in decluttering is to get rid of the things that don't make you happy in order to make room for the things that do make you happy.

For some people it might be clothes, purses, artwork, gardening supplies, makeup, nail polish, movies, music, books etc.  For you it is decor. I think some people get carried away with the whole "minimalist" decluttering movement and believe me, I am all for getting rid of things we no longer use or need or bring us joy. But I wouldn't get rid of something that I love, use and want unless I really had no other option.

Esteemed Contributor

Four sleeveless dresses and two summer blouses, things I haven't worn in quite some time.  Gone!  I had worn them, and they were good for the purposes they suited.  The purpose has changed.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@rnmom  - thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I do have room to store things, but it's maxed out now. I can't use everyhing I have, even if I rotate each year. I've been retired a year and a half, and I'm thnking I may want to move to a situation where I have less house/yard maintenance, so that is a motivation to lighten up the possessions.  There are things I definitely know I won't use anymore, so I need to move those along.  Today I went through my pots and pans and will donate ones I don't use anymore.  

Honored Contributor

I have 3 flameless candles that I don't particularly care for downstairs and ready to take to drop off my next time in the area of the center. Perhaps I will find additional items to add to the bag before then. It's really hit or miss with purging as I am now at the stage of just maintaining a status quo. Not really bringing in very much and have previously gone through everything, although there is always some little thing somewhere that can go, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

That's like me @Snicks1--  I too, have some flameless candles that need to be moved out, come to think of it!  Also try to pull together enough things over time to make it worthwhile to take them all at once, rather than making lots of individual trips.

Today I'm not donating, just readying things for donating.  Everything I pull out of the attic has dust and needs cleaning up.  Some things are just going to get thrown away.  I can't believe I put a bamboo magazine rack up there, still with old catalogs and magazines in it.  If I had just dealt with them back then, wouldn't have to sort and discard now!

Will donate that magazine stand (it's nice-- looks retro) and two ceramic lamps I've been lugging around with me since my New Orleans days-- and that's decades!  I always thought, oh, I'll get new shades for them and use them.  Never have-- so am pleased to find some new home for them....

Esteemed Contributor

Cleaning out my top shelf of my cabinet and came across

these 2 Jello molds for Easter eggs. Haven't used them in

many years. Even kept the instruction sheet. Will be

donating with next full bag to Goodwill.15681391431081541336647.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just passed the one year mark of moving into my new, downsized home.

Summer is all but over- back to the usual routines. Now is a good time to take another lap around the house to see what I can live without. From now through Halloween is the time to purge and clean prior to the holidays. Once November arrives there is little time to declutter.

I have added a small tray to the donate box. I will keep one large and one small tray for now. Tomorrow's purge needs to be the fridge. In need of a good post-summer clean out prior to trash collection on Thursday morning.

Will get back on a schedule to do 15-20 minutes most days. Our township annual cleanup is scheduled for the end of the month. Must see if I have any large items to trash before then. The garage clean up is also on the short list for September.

Probably still a month away from changing over the closets, which usually happens over a period of several days.

Respected Contributor

Looked into box on storage shelf and found 1976 and after issues of Popular Mechanics! DH looked through and tossed. He now enjoys Handyman magazine.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spent 30+ minutes today on cleaning out most of the fridge and went through a drawer in the home office where I keep banking statements. Two new statements arrived this week and it has been since the beginning of 2019 that I have gone through that drawer. 

Because I had purged lots of papers at that time this was not nearly as much as I had anticipated. Fed the recycling bin and trash can.

One of the things I came across was the glossy color brochure for my previous home sale. Nearly unrecognizable without the clutter. Gorgeous! I was paying the big bucks (mortgage, utilities, etc) each month- why was I not living like that every day?! Two teenage boys and a dog, but truth be told, most of the clutter was mine.

Fast forward just over a year. New, downsized home. Renovations complete. I now live in a beautiful, organized, uncluttered home (OK, full disclosure: the garage needs some help). My life has changed dramatically for the better. This thread certainly helps to keep me motivated. I also find it helpful to occasionally take pictures of a room on my phone and study them to see areas that might be too visually cluttered.

I am not, nor will I ever be a Clean Freak, minimalist or even an organized person. It's working because I am mindful and have a daily plan for keeping up. The results and peaceful home are the payoff. So worth the effort.