Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

@queendiva 

Since you and I have "talked" before, I wanted to give a quick update on my progress.

Long story short, the group that was supposed to haul my stuff out (then failed) showed up unannounced and took the stuff without my hearing them!  This was several weeks ago.

I walked out to reorgnize the containers and they were all gone but two that had been around the corner.  I was a bit stunned, but happy the stuff was gone.

The two leftover boxes of dinnerware and table linens were taken to my local thrift store.

This weekend, a load of jewelry that I donated to a local animal rescue group will be offered at their silent auction.

AND....they took all my Boyd's Bears for use in their Christmas sale!

I'm happy to be loads lighter in "stuff" but more to go.

This morning, I'm going through all my pots and pans, and have filtered out at least 6 and the lids as being too worn.  

The rest are being washed and rehung!

Slowly, progress is being made...

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman : good to hear about your progress!

I'll bet you were thrilled to see all those bins of donated items removed from your home. How great that your special donated items will be doing good for charities! I will be donating a few jewelry items this week, too. 

Sending you a virtual High Five. Keep up the good work! Your quality of life is improving by the day!

Honored Contributor

I took 9 things to consignment this morning and while I was there, picked up a check for $165.  

I have a small shopping bag filled and ready to take to Goodwill. 

I took 3 large unopened packages of napkins that I wasn’t going to use to the senior center this morning.  They’ll use them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Frequent Contributor

I rememeber a dried flower wreath hanging on the basement door many years ago. my son, then 4 set it aflame with a candle lighter - it went up quick, fell on the floor and burned part of the wood floor before I extinguished it with a big towel. I got my floors refinished by the insurance company. Son is 23 now and  I no longer have any wreaths or dried flowers - i prefer indoor plants and fresh flowers these days. Yes, they were always dusty.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh - What a nice check from the consignment shop! I really wish we had something like that where I live.

@Witchy Woman -how awesome that you finally got all those totes out of your house! You must feel so much lighter! On to round 2!

Decluttering has been basically nonexistent over here. We've been really busy the last couple of weeks. My son dropped his DS and it broke so he tossed that. It will probably get replaced though if he can find a reasonably priced used one. I tossed one eyeshadow that I don't care for. Hubby put a cell phone case in the donate bag. 

Other than that I think it's just been routine stuff over here, junk mail, newspapers, etc. We need to start getting ready for back to school soon, getting our supplies together and making sure the kids have everything that they need. It's still warm here but in the next couple of months we will start having to shop for fall clothing, which no one really likes doing because everyone really hates trying clothes on. I'm not really looking forward to that. 

Respected Contributor

Since my “quick move” a few years ago, I have made do with less than ideal thngs in a few areas.  My drinking glasses are a prime example.  If you love Irish items, Blarney Woolen Mills website is great.,,,i was on their site the other day and got crystal candlesticks (on sale, $20) and a set of 4 crystal glasses (I think the sale price was $19).  Free shipping on all orders to the US.  I will be donating several mismatched drinking glasses to make room for my nice new ones that I will enjoy using.

Started a bag of nice but unworn-by-me clothing for my granddaughter .....added a purse to it yesterday.  I know her taste, and I have some casual things I know she will like.  

I still want to buy things I like..,.but am trying to make it a point that when something new comes in, something else goes out.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh : Wow! nice paycheck from the consignment and less clutter, too. Win!

@rnmom : Organizing the kids' rooms and study areas is top priority and should be accomplished before school starts. I suggest making them "earn" new school supplies, and maybe a treat or two, by having them thoroughly clean these areas before bringing in anything new that will only add to existing clutter. Take inventory of school supplies from last year that are still usable for the coming term, maybe notebooks and folders that were never used. Bedding should be changed and everything vacuumed and dusted as part of the plan, starting the school year with a nice, fresh bedroom and study area. (they will be happy after it's done and it will put them in a good place physically and attitude-wise for a new start to a new grade in school). I offer this as a parent and a former teacher, grades 4-12.

My sons loved to choose a new backpack, lunch bag and notebooks, etc!

Super Contributor

Re-organizing my makeup stash after a move:

1. Tossing lip liners that cannot be sharpened
  2. Lip glosses I haven't used in years
  3. Old lipsticks
Honored Contributor

As of right now, I have nothing but household trash to set out this week.  

The only area left to deal with is the hidden storage area in the garage, and that’s not a huge priority since whatever is in there has no effect on our parking, or movement in that area.   

Valued Contributor

Back in January I realized that a massive purge would overwhelm me. I gave myself a goal of decluttering one item per day. I haven't done much lately except for shredding old statements, etc. But today I'm tossing 4 old, dried out pens. That makes my YTD total 368.

I made my goal for the year! Smiley Happy