Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

@drizzellla wrote:

When my parents died, both my brothers said to me "just give me the money". So I was responsible for cleaning out their house, assisted living apartment and 2 nursing home rooms.

I kept pictures, china, crystal etc. And have countless Rubbermaid tubs of stuff. What should I do with all the tubs of pictures? No one wants them. And there are photo albums of my Grandparents from the time they got engaged and throughout their marriage. Many photos are well over 100 years old. Many albums are leather and the leather is crumpling from age. I hate to throw them out. I have asked other members of the family and they are not interested in photos, china, crystal, anything.

Should I just take a deep breath and throw the stuff out? My parents have been dead for 15 years and the answer is always the same "You keep it."

Do not throw them out.  If you have a good cell phone camera take pictures of the key pictures, label them and put them in digital albums.  I gather you aren’t into genealogy, but if you were you could do your family tree attach photos and in the case of ancestry.com you can make your tree public for those that are interested in those photos.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote

As for the china, crystal and silver flatware, we sold it all.  To be honest, while it was a little emotional selling it all, it was also very freeing,

How did you get rid of the sterling silverware? When they died, I looked into Replacements Inc. They offered me one dollar per item, except for large serving pieces.

@drizzellla - I took the sterling silver flatware to a jeweler and sold it for scrap.  I had tried to sell it on Facebook yard sale and had no takers.  It had a one initial monogram which didn’t help. I actually sold two sets of sterling flatware to the jeweler. 

On silver plated platters, I was able to sell two through Facebook yard sale and had no takers for the others and I took them to Goodwill.  

I sold quite a bit (lots) of Waterford Crystal that belonged to me, my mom and my sister through Facebook yard sale and also a local consignment shop. The crystal sold lightning fast.

On the China, multiple sets, the two large consignment stores in my area wouldn’t take it. My husband and I drove it to NC to Replacements Ltd and sold it to them. 6 1/2 hour drive one way. We went two different times. 

If that were not not an option for me, I probably would have donated the China to a church having a rummage sale. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

When my parents died, both my brothers said to me "just give me the money". So I was responsible for cleaning out their house, assisted living apartment and 2 nursing home rooms.

I kept pictures, china, crystal etc. And have countless Rubbermaid tubs of stuff. What should I do with all the tubs of pictures? No one wants them. And there are photo albums of my Grandparents from the time they got engaged and throughout their marriage. Many photos are well over 100 years old. Many albums are leather and the leather is crumpling from age. I hate to throw them out. I have asked other members of the family and they are not interested in photos, china, crystal, anything.

Should I just take a deep breath and throw the stuff out? My parents have been dead for 15 years and the answer is always the same "You keep it."

Do not throw them out.  If you have a good cell phone camera take pictures of the key pictures, label them and put them in digital albums.  I gather you aren’t into genealogy, but if you were you could do your family tree attach photos and in the case of ancestry.com you can make your tree public for those that are interested in those photos.  

I was into Genealogy about 20 years ago. I went to the National Archives in Philadelphia and Washington DC numerous times. My Dad's family had published several books with a complete Genealogy of his side of the family. So I didn't have to do any work on his side. 

My brother had an extensive program on Family Genealogy but I am not sure if the program is still active. I will have to ask him. He had no interest in any pictures so I wonder what the status of his Genealogy progrsm is. Not sure if he has Ancestry.com. I don't.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla 

Since you asked the question....

You've made attempts to find homes for these things and have no takers.

Honestly, if it was me, I would just give away what was useable, and dump the rest.  

I know it seems ruthless, but, if you don't dispose of it, someone else will after you are gone.  Likely ALL of it would go in the trash then.

And, I see you've gotten other suggestions for saving the photos.  It only makes sense if it makes YOU feel good to do that, and that someone after you will want to make use of whatever you do.

I've had "family" photos that have not been looked at in 30 or more years.  My nieces have no interest, and there are no other family members.  All gone. 

I only keep the albums because they have a home that is not taking up space.  I fully expect they will go in the trash at some point, by me, or the person cleaning out whatever is left when I'm gone.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh - Giant hugs to you! I'm so sorry that you have to go thru this loss with your husband's truck. It's always a huge transition/loss when someone's health deteriorates to the point where they are unable to drive. I'm sure it is hard having the visual reminder of that. 

Respected Contributor

@Snicks1 -congrats on purging the jewelry! That is something that I should do too, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. 

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

After 15 years, if it's not something that you want to keep, then by all means, just get rid of it. If no one wants the pictures, including you, just toss them. China, crystal, etc, if you want to try to sell it fine, but if not, I'd just donate it all. You do not have to be a storage facility for someone else's memories for your whole life. It may have been innportant to them, but if it's not important to you, it's ok to let it go. You have your own life and your own memories.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

After 15 years, if it's not something that you want to keep, then by all means, just get rid of it. If no one wants the pictures, including you, just toss them. China, crystal, etc, if you want to try to sell it fine, but if not, I'd just donate it all. You do not have to be a storage facility for someone else's memories for your whole life. It may have been innportant to them, but if it's not important to you, it's ok to let it go. You have your own life and your own memories.

Boy, you really hit a nerve with me. Your statement about my being a storage facility for someone else. You don't know how true that statement is. I am also storing about a dozen boxes of my brother's stuff. It is time to start purging. 

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

Boy, you really hit a nerve with me. Your statement about my being a storage facility for someone else. You don't know how true that statement is. I am also storing about a dozen boxes of my brother's stuff. It is time to start purging. 

You go girl, purge on!  I personally just feel like so often we are made to feel guilty about getting rid of items that we don't want to keep, especially stuff from someone that has passed.  Whether that is self imposed guilt, or coming from another family member, there is no reason to feel bad about not keeping something that you do not want to keep and storing items for others. Obviously no one else wants it, they're not storing it, no reason for you to do it either, 

Same thing goes for kids as well as deceased relatives for me. I read about so many people storing things for their grown children. If they have room and it doesn't bother them, that's great for them. But if they want it out, the kids should be made to take it if it's important to them, without any guilt. My folks moved out of my childhood home right after I got married and anything I wanted to keep I had to take with me or else it was gone. No big deal. 

I have every intention of doing the same thing. Once my kids are out of the house I plan to move and downsize, which means I will not be moving and storing a bunch of items for them either. If they want it, they can take it with them when they go. No guilt Smiley Happy 

Valued Contributor

I just came across this topic for the first time and am not up to speed on the 100 plus pages so forgive me in advance if my suggestion is repetitive. 

I love to declutter and recently filled a box with vases, planting pots and saucers and an assortment of china and crystal containers and brought them to a nearby florist. They were thrilled to get returns not only of their own generic vases but unique items that they could turn into attractive arrangements.

More room in my cupboards and less work for my son and dil when our time comes. I have had to clean out four homes after our elderly loved ones passed and I know first hand how difficult a job it can be.