Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

I remember playing with large boxes as a kid...so much fun.  I also would make a tent out of the desk with blankets and I would sit in the area where the chair would slide in.....it was my space, away from 4 other siblings.

fixed typo

Esteemed Contributor

Into the donate box: a new but  too small rug I picked up at thrift to use by my garage entrance to the house. Replaced with something a little more $ but more appropriate size.from my local HomeGoods. 

Also left a large, broken down outdoor chair by the curb. Hope it gets picked up, ideally before the trash truck gets it. It's at DS's curb.  I did not realize they only get one bulk item pickup per year!, I get none. I used to get one per pickup 2X's/ week. When I moved they took anything I put out. Times are certainly changing! If it's not picked up I will have to retrieve it and find another way to dispose of it.

Trusted Contributor

Yesterday I donated 2 bags of clothing that I know I won't wear anymore.  My former co-worker, a retired police officer, is on the board of a shelter for abused women.  So I always give him any clothing/toiletry items.

Packed one set (set of 4) dishware.  Had to get another dishware box at Home Depot.  I have 2 separate sets of 4 and then a few miscellaneous plates.  

Sold 2 pieces of Christopher Radko ornaments - a Halloween tree and a Halloween ornament.  I have someone helping me to list on ebay.  

My younger nephew said he will take my dining room table.  So that's one less thing to worry about.

While cleaning out a cabinet, I found about 12 bottles of wine!  OMG, I had to crack up.  I like wine, but I don't drink that much!  But no one is taking my Malibu Rum!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I tossed a pocket planner that was given to me by a charity. I don't use them but it had my name on it so I didn't donate it. 

Went thru my folder of take out coupons and tossed a bunch that had expired.

Younger son and I went thru his cluttered headboard AGAIN. He has a bookcase headboard and just piles stuff up and it drives me nuts. Every flat surface in his room is totally covered.

We tossed a few small odds and ends, papers, small rubber balls, 2 pocket planners, loose crayons, etc, etc. I couldn't even say what all went. Volume wise it wasn't much, maybe half his bedroom trash can. But we were able to get some things put away in the drawers so it doesn't look quite as bad. He still has a lot of stuff sitting out but not quite as much. 

Esteemed Contributor

While I had started another thread about "too much stuff" this thread was my original inspiration to get going again on decluttering.

So.....first, I scheduled a large pickup with an organization called GreenDrop.  They serve four large organizations, including Purple Heart (info on their Website).  They come on July 10.  

In the last two days, I have gathered at least 20 boxes of mostly dishes and household goods.  While my containers are not huge (16W x24L x6"D) they hold a substantial amount and can take the weight of dishware.

I'm embarrased, stunned, and depressed at how much stuff I have.  My only excuse is I used to entertain large groups often and...I had the room to store all this stuff.  None of it was overflowing.  But china cabinets were full.

This morning, I packed 8 large glass and china pitchers and the last of a set of holiday Lenox.  And, no less than 12 heavy gold chargers. All I could say is, what was I thinking?

I had one moment of hestitation in the beginning on a set of white dinnerware I had never used. However, I packed it off, and after that, there was no stopping me.

I could pack several boxes every day and still have too much stuff.  I'm hoping to have my home completely decluttered later this year.

On the list is more household items, seasonal decor and, finally, more clothing.  Some will be taken to my local thrift store, but the bigger donations will be picked up.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman : Great job!

You have a plan to get the stuff out from under and a reasonable deadline for the pickup. I think that's the best way to get going on your purge.By the end of the year you will have a whole new home and you will feel a great sense of accomplishment and relief for having done what you need to do. Stay the course- it does get easier. Getting started and getting that first pickup done really is the hardest part.

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva 

Thank you for your support. 

I am very committed to getting rid of all these things that are just "stored."  We all know they aren't coming out of storage.

I think one of the things that got me going was a conversation with a man who had lost his wife last year.  He is now in the process of cleaning out her "stuff."  He said she had so many shoes/boots/handbags with tags, never worn.  Clothing too.  He was overwhelmed.

DH isn't exactly supportive as he is a saver.  I think I mentioned his garage is very cluttered, but he says he knows where everything is.  

I decided that is is to deal with.  I've offered to help, but he gets defensive.

The house is mine to clear out and I will.  It just would be nice to have support and help.  Thankfully, I'm retired and have all day without him asking, "what's that?"

My only wish is that I had more energy.  I worked most of the morning, and by noon, I was out of steam.  And, that was using existing containers.  It's not like I had to assemble boxes.

If I had an extra pair of hands to assemble boxes and help pack, it sure would be great.

However, it's going to get done one way or another, even if it is just a box a day!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman :I was where you are at this time last year. Chose to go to the extreme and downsize from my house to a large condo. I am also retired and had no "live-in" help. None of us is getting any younger. The time to get rid of the excess stuff and clutter is NOW. It will only be more difficult to do and to live with in the future. 

I think working on this in the morning when you are fresh and rested is best. Thinking you can have at it all day is probably not a reasonable expectation.Now that school is out, might there be an older kid or kids in your neighborhood who could help you out, maybe 1 or 2 days/ week? You could pay them  and they could do the heavy lifting jobs and move the process along a little faster.. Win/win for all.

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva 

We live back in the woods, so I don't even know if there are kids in the immediate area.  No one to ask for help, unfortunately.  

Our house is quite large, so....there has been a lot of storage.  I'm 68 and I finally realized that, if I had to suddendly change my life, it would be chaos.  It still will, but at least I've got a start.

While I adore my home (DH and I built it over 4 years when we were very young), and I hope never to leave, I think you do need to be realistic about things.

I've seen it happen too many times.  One spouse dies and the burden is on the remaining spouse.  Of course, DH doesn't care what I'd be left with in his garage Cat LOL

I told him I'd have it cleared out to the walls inside of a week!

I admire what you've done, as I know it was not easy.

Esteemed Contributor

DH agreed to (finally) part with hard square computer disks from college course work around the year 2000.  And the holder they were in (he asked if I could just "put it in the garage" and I said no).  These things have no potential use, anymore.

And he relinquished a binder of materials collected at the same seminar he went to last week, but 5 years ago.  He now has all updated materials and we need not keep the other one!

I have to confess, though:  they went directly into the trash.  Our service has been short-handed and they've been dumping everything, including recyclables, into one truck.  Goes against my principles but sometimes you get backed into a corner.

Cogito ergo sum