Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I have a few things to take to consignment tomorrow. A pair of Slogger garden shoes that are in great shape and several cosmetic gift with purchase things.

I've been having a great time lately buying the skin care items I actually DO use and needed to replenish (I don’t stockpile very much except my Foundation, which Clinique recently discontinued). I’ve timed the purchases with various gift with purchase promotions intentionally.  Then I take the gift with purchase items to consignment and, as I’ve mentioned before, they sell very quickly. 

I’ve sold several things at consignment lately, including a sterling bangle bracelet this morning, and have a really nice sized check to pick up tomorrow. 

I also have a few small things in a bag for Goodwill, but it’s not ready to take yet. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

While watching the Linea show on Q2 this afternoon I went through the storage ottoman and end table drawer in the living room. I am sure I did this several months ago, so there was very little to toss.

Honored Contributor

I continue to walk thru my house and find small items I’m tired of looking at, that just get picked up and tossed in the trash.   Today I tossed 2 tea light holders, a hand towel with a hole in it, and 3 old hymn books that belonged to my Sunday school teacher grandmother.    

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I continue to walk thru my house and find small items I’m tired of looking at, that just get picked up and tossed in the trash.   Today I tossed 2 tea light holders, a hand towel with a hole in it, and 3 old hymn books that belonged to my Sunday school teacher grandmother.    

@RedTop - the stuff in our house is “scared” of me on Wednesday’s, LOL. Trash pickup is on Thursday and we put our can out on Wednesday evening. Anything on the edge of going or staying usually will go into the trash Wednesday afternoon, just before we put our can by the curb.  Once it’s out, our stuff breathes a sigh of relief till the next Wednesday. 

Of course, then there’s our weekly trip to the recycling center and Goodwill dropoff is located there, so our stuff holds its breath again till we pull out of the driveway!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh,

I thought my pick up and toss routine was going unnoticed by my family.   However, before trucker daughter left last week, she told me she noticed small things were disappearing and figured I was on my kick again.   She specifically asked about one particular item she has a fondness for, and requested I put it in her room if I want rid of it!

Esteemed Contributor

Another bag leaves the garage!

A large bag of rag/ discard clothing is being dropped off today.

The garage will look even better tomorrow once two weeks' worth of recycling goes to the curb for pickup in my Martha Stewart XL tote. The tote is easy to manage and holds the perfect amount of recycling for me. I like it a lot better than the recycling bins that have no wheels and are too small, and even a wheeled trash can.

Honored Contributor

Rie: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

In the last few days, sorted thru most of my kitchen stuff and have about 5 boxes to give away. Asst utencils, bowls, small appliances, a Ron Popeil pasta maker, Keurig coffee maker--pots/pans. and still have more to go thru. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rie: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

Before heading out I am adding another small bag of DS's worn-out clothes to the bag I already have in the car to pitch. Also heading out for my weekly trip to ReStore. Donating a large cut crystal Lenox bowl. Must have been a gift a while back as I cannot remember it's origin and I don't think I ever used or displayed it.

I think the basement looks good for the summer. Will revisit this area later in the fall.

In the past, my garages and basements have always been out of control no matter how hard I tried to clean them out. It took moving and downsizing last summer to finally deal with the clutter.

I have every intention of keeping these areas as clear of clutter as possible.

I suggest for those who are still actively purging their houses of clutter that you devote 15 minutes prior to EACH trash pickup day to checking out your basement, garage or storage area. Keep a box of trash bags there and toss what can go. Maybe keep a box in each area for donate items. Painless and by the end of the summer you will see a noticable improvement, even from the most cluttered area (as long as you add nothing to those areas).

Valued Contributor

Just a couple odds & ends today: 1 16 oz bottle (3/4 full) of grapeseed oil that was purchased 12/8/14, 1 partial lip exfoliant that was purchased 1/19/12, and one worn out sock. (224 items gone YTD)

Honored Contributor

I redid under our kitchen sink today and while I bought two new bins to put under there, I’m able to get rid of two bins that I’d been using which were MUCH larger.  I washed the old ones and they’ll go to Goodwill tomorrow. 

The cabinets under the kitchen sink are lean and mean, LOL. 

I only discarded two bottles of cleaners that we just weren't using. I don’t have too much under there so there wasn’t much to throw away.