Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I cleaned out a corner of the garage.  Swept to the outside some beetles and spiders, chucked some plastic pots into the recycling bin, straightened up the potting bench.

Emptied the dirt bin from the vac into the trash can, since it was out in the drive anyway.  When I put it (the bin) back in the closet I found a valve leaking to the exterior water supply, which I had just used for some plants flanking the garage.  Good timing!  I shut the valve off and I'll call the plumber tomorrow.

So the de-cluttering led to a discovery, which, if unchecked, could have had some undesirable consequences.  Happy me.  And my potting area looks great.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia : there are often unanticipated extra benefits of purging around our homes; yours is an example. Water damage can be $$$$.

Honored Contributor

Oh happy day------going to get rid of 15 pcs of mismatched pots and pans------bought new ones from HSN----can't wait !!!

Honored Contributor

Kudos to anyone who has the patience and desire to have a yard sale, or sell at a flea market.  I flat out do not have what it takes to do either.  

I give the good stuff away to friends or the Union Mission, and trash the rest.   Once I decide the stuff is going, I have no tolerance for handling it a dozen times.  I developed that feeling after emptying my aunt and grandmothers house, and handling so much stuff for a long time.   My donate stuff goes from its location to my car, and to Union Mission the next day.   

Esteemed Contributor

The garage sale was not a big deal. I would rather shop than sell, but there was a lot of stuff collected since I moved several months ago. All the good stuff that did not fit or was not right for my new space had to go. 

The $ earned from the sale will benefit three charities. Also topped off my gas tank and bought lunch after the sale. Boy was I exhausted! I am getting too old for this stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

This afternoon dropped off 3 boxes at Goodwill. Good to get the stuff out of my garage and now out of my car  .Also put a broken plastic storage box filled with trash in the dumpster. Wanted it out of the garage right away- did not want to wait for the weekly trash collection on Thursday. I filled the recycling container with boxes, etc. that had previous held the garage sale items. Also wanted that out of the garage as it will be two weeks before that's picked up again, so I emptied my bin into the large recycling containers near the dumpster.

Honored Contributor

We have incredibly small closets, so our off season clothing hangs on a rack in the basement. I went through one side of that rack this weekend, and threw away a couple of work jackets that my husband had that were in tatters, and a small bag of shirts that I know I'm never going to wear again is ready to go into the car today for donation the next time I'm in town. 

Small things but helped the rack be less crowded. I will hit the other side of the rack sometime soon. It is twice as stuffed!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio : I recently bought a new clothing rack for my basement. It's where I keep my coats and some winter clothes out of season, too. I purchased two different cheap clothing racks in the past. Learned my lesson.

Your post reminded me that when I go downstairs today to bring up my spring/summer bedding and my bedroom fan that I need to trash a previous clothing rack that needed to be assembled with a gazillion pieces. Once DS and I opened the box I knew that was not going to happen. The parts and box have been sitting on the floor for five months. Gotta go. The other cheap rack was trashed when I moved. It collapsed on more than one occasion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today I returned two tops to Talbots (but then I bought one but that makes me down one).

I also took a pair of shoes to consignment and a silver bracelet. 

Another summer sweater is going in the Goodwill bag.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I did some reorganizing in my bedroom dresser drawers and closet. I relocated 13 books from my dresser drawer to the "study", and I came up with 37 clothing items (sweats, tees, socks, bras and panties) and 2 bathroom rugs for donation.

I feel awkward about donating underwear, but I know many places contract with textile recylers for things they can't use.

211 items gone YTD