Valued Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I tossed a tiny bottle of essential oil. It was very old, and leaking even though it was stored upright. (172 items YTD)

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio 

Thanks for the info on fabric dry rot.  (I know I have some items in original packages and items that have been stored 10-20 years!)

I dread even more going through fabric items but, it may make decision-making easier!  

Honored Contributor

I just rehomed a Jonette Jewelry Co. brooch/pin.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I gave away a black leather jacket that I don't wear. It was so pretty, but it just wasn't comfortable so I didn't wear it. I gave it to a woman I work with, she will see if her daughter will use it. If not I they will just donate it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Done-finally!

The garage sale was today. Weather was perfect. Most everything found a new home. A small amount went to the trash and the rest is boxed up and loaded into the car. Most will go to Goodwill tomorrow, the final box will go to ReStore on Thursday when I am in that area.

I had no idea if anyone would come and would there be enough people to make a sale worthwhile. There were. 

This was my Grand Finale of ever again hosting a garage sale. The clutter is gone, buyers were happy, I was happier because I got my garage back before summer, after eight long months of collecting purged items  and  I cleared $115.00. I was hoping for $75-$100.00 so it was a win. Most all the items for sale were small household things that sold for a dollar or two each- typical garage sale treasures.

From now on I will keep one box in the garage. When it is filled it goes to donation. I still have 2-3 bags of what I call Rag clothing items to donate. I need to find somewhere appropriate to take them, but another project has essentially been completed and I am no longer embarrassed by my garage. Hooray!

I almost forgot: will list nearly new moving blankets for sale on Nextdoor or Craigs List and will obviously wait to sell the snow blower until around November.

Respected Contributor

I also gave away a leather jacket that I hadn’t touched in three years.  The woman I gave it to was so happy....it made me happy!

Tossed some shampoo and body wash containers from my shower that had stuff still in them....but I never used.  Now the only items in my shower caddy are one shampoo and conditioner, a shaving gel, bar of soap, razor and back brush.  I loop my shower cap on it when I’m not wearing it.

Looks much neater!

Valued Contributor

Today I oiled up the blades on my shredder and got to work shredding. I kept going for almost 15 minutes before it got so full it stopped. I emptied it and got it ready for the next time. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@queendiva -Congratulations on your garage sale results! That has to feel so good to have it over and have the clutter gone and have your garage back, with a few bucks to spare. Nice!

I hear you about never having another one. I haven't had one in several years and probably won't have another one until we downsize after the kids are gone and out of the house, then we will have a moving sale and hopefully unload lots. Until then, I just donate as I come across things.

Respected Contributor

I am happy to report that we decluttered our above ground pool yesterday. Someone came by and picked it up. I am so glad to see that gone out of the yard. We've had one for several years now and the kids (or us) just didn't use it enough the last couple of years to justify the work or the expense of maintaining it. So now it's gone. Yeah!

All the accessories that were stored all over are gone too. There was a bunch of stuff on a shelf in hubby's pole barn, items in our regular garage and items in a spare room in the basement. Literally, scattered all over the place. But it is all gone and I am pleased as punch!

We do live on a lake, so the kids can still swim every day if they want to, they just need to wear life jackets, which I know isn't nearly as fun, but that's just life. 

Esteemed Contributor

@rnmom : We both had a productive Saturday! Nice that the pool has found a new home! No doubt another family will be enjoying it for Memorial Day weekend in just a few days.

It's extra satisfying to declutter your home without adding to a landfill. The stuff that we no longer want/ need can often be appreciated by someone else. Win/Win!