Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I rehomed a patricia nash wristlet and a wooden planter caddy on wheels.  Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I've got a smallish Trader Joe's shopping bag,almost  filled with things, going to Goodwill today, if I can convince myself to leave the house in the 42 degree rain (STOP with the cold dreary weather already- whine, whine).

Just a few things in it obvously, including a J Jill shirt in my favorite style.  I put it on yesterday and walked through our bathroom which has large mirrors and glanced at the mirror and yikes!  It just hung on me.  Too big.

I can't take it to consignment because I'd cut the neck tags out.  I wore it last year and I didn't notice the poor fit.  I immediately tried on the other shirts I own in this style and they all looked fine.

So I washed it again and it's in the bag with some other things.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I picked up a few new tops for work so I went thru my closet and found 4 tops to donate that I don't wear. I need to get some new work pants too whenever I feel like going out and trying on clothes, which is usually never, that's why I still need them.

Son donated a pair of wool socks that were too small and I tossed a pair of slippers that were too worn. 

Valued Contributor

Today I spent 15 minutes shredding old statements, bills, etc. My shredder got so full that the pieces were starting to jam in the blades. After tossing the paper, I lubricated the blades. (I have plenty more to shred).

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

Today I spent 15 minutes shredding old statements, bills, etc. My shredder got so full that the pieces were starting to jam in the blades. After tossing the paper, I lubricated the blades. (I have plenty more to shred).

@Eager2Learn - if we lived near each other, I’d be happy to do the shredding for you.  Shredding is one of my favorite things to do!  It’s like the ultimate purge for me, LOL. 

Honored Contributor

I took 4 shirts to consignment and also picked up a check for items that sold.  I knew for sure they’d take one of the shirts, but wasn’t sure on the other three.  But they took them all. 

Goodwill is close by so I dropped of my small shopping bag of stuff. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope everyone is celebrating Easter and/ or Passover in cleaner, more organized surroundings.

Not purging anything on this Easter Sunday. Yesterday it was a long winter fleece robe that I did not wear all season and it does take up a lot of room if stored off-season. In the clothing recycle bag. Semi-annual clothing recycling should be coming up somewhere in May. I will be ready!

I will also be packing up some of the clothing returns ordered on Free Shipping last Sunday. They will go back on Monday.

Just about done with the seasonal closet change, right on schedule. Need to move more coats and put the sneakers and sandals back into circulation. Will certainly be completed this week.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

I haven't purged anything in 2019 - bc I just moved here 2 years ago.  Did a major declutter/purge in order to downsize.  Dad lived with me for 8 of the last 10 years and he had folders in a filing cabinet that had bank statements and old utility bills going back to the 1960s! 

When he died I used to sit in the living room watching TV and when commercials came on I'd shred like crazy.  That was about right bc the shredder would get hot and needed "breaks".  I burned out that shredder and had to get a new one.  I decided once I moved here I'd keep up with all the paperwork.  It helped that I stopped all paper statements and these days a lot of my purchase receipts get emailed too.  I have a folder on my computer to save those to and I also bought an external hard drive that I save things I want/need to keep.  

Honored Contributor

This morning I pulled a set of 3 mercury glass/silver candle stands that have been living on top of my hutch and put them downstairs by the door, lol. They aren't out yet, but are headed in that direction. I'd been thinking every so often about them, they really didn't fit in with the rest of my decor very well and finally decided to just move them, it looks much better without them. I may wait to see if I can work them in to my Christmas decor, haven't totally made up my mind yet.
"To each their own, in all things".