Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I donated an old pair, from 2014, of prescription glasses to the Lions Club this afternoon.

I went through my clothes AGAIN tonight. Two sweaters are going to Goodwill. One summer sweater and two t shirts are going to consignment tomorrow. I put two winter sweaters away to take to consignment in the fall. They’re only taking spring and summer clothes right now so I’ll hold on to them and take them in September. 

Some of the items I took to consignment yesterday sold this afternoon.  A bottle of shower gel, hand soap, a body cream and the L’Occitane gift with purchase thing. I got that for free and when it sold I got $5.60 for it. Not bad. 

Also going to Goodwill are a few beaded stretch bracelets. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I did some organizing of our winter hats, gloves, etc. I put some of the really heavy stuff away in the mudroom closet and just kept out some lighter weight items because it's still down to the 20's and 30's here in the mornings. I keep these items in baskets in the mudroom during the cold months, then store them all in a big bag in the closet during the warmer months. I found one stray glove without a mate to toss, that's it. I really need to go thru the coats in the closet too, I'm sure there's at least a couple that the kids have outgrown.

I've been working some more on papers and filing and have been filing, tossing and shredding out of the file cabinet. I also started working on organizing some other papers that we have in folders on a bookcase in our loft and have been working on organizing some pictures. I have SO many loose pictures that I just don't know what to do with them. Some of them I was able to get into albums finally, but a lot of them are not able to be placed into albums. They're either too big or too small and I just don't know what to do with them. 

I'm trying to at least weed out the duplicates and toss them and toss the ones that I know I don't want, but there are still so many. I'm not super sentimental, but for some reason I have a really hard time tossing pictures, even bad pictures. Right now I have stuff spread out all over the table because I just don't know what to do with them right now. The bookcase just looks like a cluttered mess so I have to come up with something. 

I guess that even if I just put them in large envelopes for now maybe I can put them away in the one drawer underneath the shelves, maybe that will help it at least look a little neater. I hope to work on that some more this weekend if I can, if not, next week I want to try to finish it up for sure. Right now it looks worse than when I started!

I did add one more book to the donate box and tossed a random sock with a hole in it. I also want to try to get my donations out this weekend finally too. 

Esteemed Contributor

Now that my kitchen reno has been completed I really do not want items out on display, blocking my beautiful new counter tops and backsplash!

I was reminded of how we all have a personal definition of clutter. Way back in college, my roommate wondered why I left so many items out on my dresser. Her dresser had little on display. That was probably the first time I ever gave thought to the concept of clutter and that clutter is not limited to junk, stuff, etc. It can consist of perfectly good and useful items that contribute to visual clutter.

I am trying to have a place for everything and everything in it's place. Simple in theory, often challenging in practice, especially when living with a spouse and children. 

Living single and having grown children I have no excuse, LOL!

Respected Contributor

@queendiva - I was just reading an article about this the other day, I believe it was called the "convenience fallacy". It talked about how we leave everyday items out on our counters in the kitchen, bathroom, office, etc because we use it so often we think that it's just easier to leave it out within easy reach. But even though these items are frequently used it still just creates visual clutter when it's left out. 

As an example, it explained why you should put your toaster away in a cabinet, because even if you use it every day, you only use it for 3 minutes and then the other 23hrs and 57 minutes it's just visual clutter on the counter. 

I totally get what the author was saying, and it actually makes sense if you have enough room to put the stuff away. I don't have a lot out on my counters but, I cannot see myself putting my toaster oven away in a cabinet when I'm not using it. It's just too big and clunky. Or my knife block or my coffee pot. But there are some things I could put away that are easier, like my brush and comb in the bathroom, or my lip balm that is always sitting out. So it was still an interesting read.

I hope that you totally enjoy your new kitchen, it sounds great. I still have a spouse and 2 growing kids, but I have fantasies about living in a calmer, less chaotic and less cluttered house. Someday, my time will come. For now, I just do what I can and try not to sweat it too much. 

Esteemed Contributor

More books purged, and notes from courses taken years and years ago.  We recycle hardback books here but I had to remove the covers first.  I lost count how many trips I made up and down the stairs.  I still have more notes and books. I don't know how I feel about parting with that stuff that represents so much hard work.  😔

I wondered what I did with my bibles, which I haven't seen in years, and found them in a box with other books.

I found a box of pitchers, the plastic type, so I donated a few of those.  I am donating all my Christmas village buildings next, except for one that has sentimental value.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee I wish I was near you, I have to get some boxes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom I miss the days of spouse, kids and their clutter! I am, however, making the most of this time in my life. 

I just finished reading a book similar to what you posted. I keep a box under my bathroom sink that holds cleanser, deo, toothpaste, etc: the dailies- with the exception of my electric toothbrush. I have a large vanity and the toothbrush remains in the corner near the electrical outlet. Decorative tissue box, hand soap & lotion remain out even though I am the only one who sees and uses the master bath. Makeup is stowed in a drawer and in an old Lori Grenier box. Out of sight and organized. All hair stuff is also stored under the other sink.

I am thinking about finding a less visible place for my toaster to live. I will try it after DS puts up a couple of shelves when he is available. Some things are just too big and/or heavy to stow, like my XL Keurig that makes cappuccinos and lattes (love!), my large Boos cutting board and my KA stand mixer, which is at least stowed in an out of the way corner, as is the microwave.

It's all about the battle to keep flat surfaces clear, including the floors.

Esteemed Contributor

Success! Relocated the toaster out of sight but conveniently placed next to the microwave.

When the shelves are installed I will use two bins on the lower shelf: one to hold fruits and  the other for potatoes/ onions. The upper shelf, which will be above my reach, will hold a few decorative items. I will be able to purge the two tiered wire basket now holding fruits and veggies and taking up too much surface area.

The countertop now displays only matching KA mixer and food processor, paper towel holder and the sink- that's all! Plenty of prep room now even though my eat in kitchen is small.

Valued Contributor

Cleaning out Guest room closet.  Letting go of supplies from old hobbies...cross stitch fabrics, thread, and pattern books.  Also rubber stamps and ink pads.  Consolidating wrapping supplies...paper, tissue paper, ribbons and bows, tags, gift bags, birthday, Christmas, store bags, boxed.  Feels good to clean out, declutter, and organize.  

Valued Contributor

Today I broke down 10 cardboard boxes for recycling pick up on Monday, and I still have plenty. (154 items gone YTD)