Trusted Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

Oh my -- I'm still purging from 2018! My parents' house, that is. I did another purge in the kitchen today. Got rid of an old Tupperware hamburger patty-making kit, some chip'n'dip bowls, an aluminum griddle (the kind you used to use on a gas stove), various plastic containers with lids, a slow-cooker, a grill/griddle combo (like a George Forman), a breakfast maker all-in-one machine (never used), salt 'n'pepper shakers, snack bowl. I then rearranged the cupboards after wiping them down inside -- the shelf liner was still in good condition -- to fit my needs as I cook/bake. I had to get up on a stepladder but it was worth it to pull everything out and start over. Now most of our cupboards are empty and clean!

I found an old wafflemaker/griddle from the 50s/early 60s and an electric coffee percolator from that same era. All still work and are barely used so I"m on the hunt to see if I can get any $ for them.

Respected Contributor

I'm finally starting to feel mostly back to normal and there's hope that spring is maybe on the way, (even though it's still in the 30's-40's here) so I'm FINALLY starting to get a bit of motivation to get some things done around the house.

I worked on another file that holds a bunch of my kids school papers and some personal papers and put some away and tossed a bunch. There wasn't a lot in it, but I hadn't cleaned it out or looked at in a year.

I took a peek at my old cassette tape collection and found 3 to toss and added 3 to the donate box.

Went thru one of my son's drawers because he was complaining that "none of his running pants fit". Found 4 that were too small to donate but he still has 6 pair that fit. Also donated a pair of pajamas. 

Tossed 4 makeup items that I wasn't loving and a dishrag that was past it's prime. 

It's been raining here and the snow is melting, so right now everything is a wet, muddy mess, both inside and outside. I'm really anxious to get onto some nice warm, dry weather so I can get this place spruced up and aired out. 

Honored Contributor

Still working on getting things together for the Kidney Services pickup on Tuesday. It’s been really slow go because I’m really about purged out in terms of donation items. 

My husband is out for several hours today with his son so I’m able to more freely look around, LOL.

To the shopping bag,  I just added a new cookie sheet that’s way too heavy, 3 plastic storage containers and a new acrylic drinking glass. 

I also tried on all my jeans  this morning and am donating a pair of denim pedal pushers.  They fit fine but I feel like a matador in them, LOL.  Also added a pair of ankle jeans that are too short after many washings. 

The shopping bag is full now.  I’m going to continue to look around but I think that’s all I have this time around for them. 

I took several thngs to consignment on Thursday and one item has already sold. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Just two small items in the clothing recycle bag, but I am enjoying my clean home.

Probably another month at least until I start on the wardrobe change. Spring is approaching, which means any work in the basement will only occur on rainy days. Not much to do there, anyway.

Kitchen, DR and LR are clutter-free. Bedroom clutter consists exclusively of clothing all stored behind closed doors and drawers. Not much more to purge from the master bath, which must be revisited fro time to time. The other baths are just as they should be. Pantry is good for another month or so. I see the need to go through there seasonally to keep on top of the accumulation.

The garage does not match my house at all! A lost cause until after the garage sale- it's where most all of my purged items are stored for now.

This afternoon I MUST clean out my car. I's just me, so all that mess is mine. If I let it go more than a week or so it becomes a crazy mess in the back seat area and behind.

Honored Contributor

I sold a Waterford vase and two pieces of Black Hills Gold jewelry. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I sold a Waterford vase and two pieces of Black Hills Gold jewelry. 

@Bird mama   How did you sell them?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   I've discovered facebook marketplace Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl   I've discovered facebook marketplace Woman Very Happy

@Bird mama   I have heard of it, so just took a look.  Where did you meet the buyers, and were they cash purchases?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   I got burned on a low cost item for porch pick up.  Chick picked up the item and didn't leave the cash, lol.

I do cash, in person and it's run the gamut.  I sold my total gym from my house, actually the attached garage.  No way was I schlepping that thing around.  Not that I've been doing it that long (started September 2018) but I do it when the weather permits me to be out in the open in the garage entry when I'm at my house.  I sold a handbag to a lady who wanted to meet me at a local rite aid.  I sold another one who wanted to meet me at a CVS.  I delivered the vase on Tuesday, lol.  The girl was working and I had the time so I drove to her job, parked in the public lot and we did the deal.

I make the buyers inspect what they are buying.  Yesterday the lady who bought the two BHG pieces wanted to try on the BHG bracelet I was also offering.  I told her that I thought the bracelet might be a little big for her wrist.  She tried it on and we agreed it was not the piece for her, lol.  I don't pressure people, I want them to be happy with the item.

I've met some nice people.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  I have an eliptical I am thinking of selling - no way can DH and I move it down stairs - I was thinking of using the Marketplace as well to sell it- my issue is letting someone in the house and taking them upstairs to look at it.....dh would be home, not going to invite someone in if I am home alone....still just a tad uneasy.