Trusted Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

@cerb wrote:

Well, the good news is that we finally dropped our "to-be-donated" stuff off at the Salvation Army.  It included a few misc. items and 30 articles of clothing.  I felt good about getting that done.

Then...my DH went out shopping and brought home a big pack of 12 bars of bath soap.  Good grief.  I purged the bathrooms a couple of months ago and threw away a lot of old, out-of-date products.  I told my DH to make sure he "shops the bathroom" before buying more stuff.  I took him into the bathroom, opened a drawer, and showed him the 6 bars of apple-scented soap, and the 7 large bars of citrus scented soap we already had in there.  He protested that they were "girl" soaps.  I scowled and replied that "citrus" is not just a girls' scent.  Now we have 25 bars of soap, and I don't even use bars of soap, I use shower gel.  Bah humbug.

@cerb  😄😄 Your husband and I must have been separated at birth at a Bed, Bath, and Beyond! I love all my scented bars soap.

Respected Contributor

Several months ago my mother in law gave us 2 large containers of some sort of dried beans. I have no idea why, I've never cooked with dried beans, not even once, so I can't imagine why she thought I would use them. They weren't in their original bags, she had poured them into large plastic/glass jars, like old pickle jars, so I don't even know what exactly they were or how old they were. She is definitely a borderline food hoarder so they could have been anything.

I kept them here for a while, I'm not sure why, I guess maybe I thought I would use them in an emergency. Yesterday we got rid of them. I know I would never use them unless there was literally nothing else to eat in the whole house. Hubby poured them outside, away from the house, for the squirrels to eat and we put the two big containers into the recycle bin. 

She gives us "food gifts" a lot when the kids go over there, but it's usually regular stuff that we will eat. When she gives us weird stuff like that I usually just toss it right away and don't even put it into the pantry. I'm not sure why I kept these weird dried beans to begin with. But they're gone now. 

Valued Contributor

@rnmom I didn't know squirrels would eat dried beans. I love that the beans went to them instead of in the trash. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My grandmothers, and now my mother, are always trying to push stuff on us.  I don't even fight it.  I just take it and toss it.  Many times, I was flying on a plane, so there was no way I could take it. I just tossed it in a garbage can at the airport or had the taxi stop  somewhere where I could toss it.

I get that they are of a generation that didn't waste things, but they take it to another level.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely no purging today. Cleaned the house completely yesterday. Today is my birthday!

Enjoying my clean, organized home today, as well as my family and good food, too.

All that's left of my kitchen reno is the backsplash. 

Respected Contributor

@ QueenDiva
Happy Birthday! Definitely not a purge day. Keep enjoying the renovation.
Respected Contributor

@Eager2Learn -Hubby said the squirrels would eat the dried beans, I'm hoping he's right. Our house has woods all around it and a small lake and there's lots of wildlife, deer, squirrels, turkeys, racoons, geese, you name it and I think we've seen it out here. I hope that something will be able to eat it, I really didn't want to toss all that in the trash either. 

I did a little bit of filing yesterday and got rid of the 2010 tax returns and tossed a planner from 2017. I filled the shredder and had to dump it. I really should go thru the file cabinet again and purge but it's such a big job, so time consuming. I'm just happy that the new stuff is filed for now and put away so it looks neater.

I tossed a pair of flannel pants that ripped too badly to be mended. 

Respected Contributor

@queendiva -Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@queendiva, happy birthday, a day late. Hope you enjoyed your day with family.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I went through my laundry room today, purging and thorough cleaning, (I did a major clear out last year), so only found 3 items to donate and a couple things to toss in the trash. Those items will be dropped off later this week.
"To each their own, in all things".