Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

Just a couple of small things over here the last few days:

A pair of hubby's ratty work gloves that had holes in them and 2 of my old t-shirts went into the trash. I finished a word search book and put it into the recycle bin along with a crossword puzzle book that I didn't care for.

We have been getting lots of groceries the last couple of weeks so over the next few weeks I want to work on eating up some things in the fridge, freezer and pantry. I like having a good stockpile of items here because we have growing kids and I stock up when there's sales to save money. I usually go to the store every week and get a cart full. 

Hubby made an extra stop yesterday and got even more sale items, so I'm skipping a trip out this weekend to work on using up some of what we already have. It's getting just a bit "too full" and I want to clear out at least a little space before we bring in more. 

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

December was very demanding for me so I rested by rearranging and cleaning my studio. I donated several bins of things and changed all the furniture. I love it.

Yes, I know.....this is a bit crazy but it works for me. Organization is like a tonic for me. :-)

@Regal Bee

I was on here very little in the weeks of Christmas and New Years, but I was wondering did you post any pictures or infomation about the big party you were working on, and I missed them somewhere? If you haven't posted about it and how it all turned out, I hope you will. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

December was very demanding for me so I rested by rearranging and cleaning my studio. I donated several bins of things and changed all the furniture. I love it.

Yes, I know.....this is a bit crazy but it works for me. Organization is like a tonic for me. :-)

@Regal Bee

I was on here very little in the weeks of Christmas and New Years, but I was wondering did you post any pictures or infomation about the big party you were working on, and I missed them somewhere? If you haven't posted about it and how it all turned out, I hope you will. 

@Mominohio  The party turned out great but I had to fight for everything I wanted to do which left me deflated and my heart went out of the project. I was also given a very small budget to work with which was a nightmare since a lot of people were attending. 

I attended three board meetings which were a total waste of time and that 'set me off.' I am a very focused person and know what I want....that didn't go over well with some of the board members.

I finally just did what I wanted and the party was a complete success. I have already been asked to host next years party but I don't know. It was a massive amount of work and sometimes, with all the other Christmas doings, I almost choked on the work.

I did learn a lot from this experience and it will be different and much more pleasant next year..................hopefully.

Happy New Year!

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Regal Bee

@Mominohio  The party turned out great but I had to fight for everything I wanted to do which left me deflated and my heart went out of the project. I was also given a very small budget to work with which was a nightmare since a lot of people were attending. 

I attended three board meetings which were a total waste of time and that 'set me off.' I am a very focused person and know what I want....that didn't go over well with some of the board members.

I finally just did what I wanted and the party was a complete success. I have already been asked to host next years party but I don't know. It was a massive amount of work and sometimes, with all the other Christmas doings, I almost choked on the work.

I did learn a lot from this experience and it will be different and much more pleasant next year..................hopefully.

Happy New Year!

IT is so true that when working with an overseer, one can get quite frustrated. I used to head up a lot of fundraisers and events at my son's school, and I got so bogged down a few times, by people who weren't even going to help, thinking their two cents worth was needed. 

I got to the place quickly, where I no longer volunteered for things that I knew I wouldn't be able to do alone, since so many of the volunteers would back out last minute, or only come through with half of what they said they would. 

Now that they know what you can do, they will most likely leave you alone next time, and let you do your thing!

If you have pictures of what you created, share them on Holiday, even if it is later on.

@Regal Bee

Valued Contributor

1/17 - Re: the spice racks I mentioned on the 15th, I decided to go through and check the dates on all those jars. From what I can tell, they are dated 1979-2017. I pulled 10 that were dated 1979-2007 to toss. However, many (about 21) don't have dates. Some have price stickers or have price stamps, I imagine those are very old. Not sure what to do. If I get rid of all except the 1 or 2 that are BB 2017, I will be able to relocate those and get rid of the 2 racks as well. (31 items gone so far)

What would you all do?

Honored Contributor

Moved out two sets of snow tires this week. 

One set we sold the car and no longer needed, and the old ones from my car were replaced with new. 

They now charge you to dispose of your old tires to the tune of sometimes up to $5 each in this area. Between the two sets, and both of them still had some life left in them, we got $55, so definitely a win win win. Paid no fees to dispose of them, made some cash, and two people got some decent snow tires and were really happy to get them, as we are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow this weekend!

Honored Contributor

I have about 75 vintage canning jars supposed to go out of here tomorrow. 

My husband is tearing down an old mobile home on a friend's farm, and he sells the scrap metal and makes side money doing this kind of thing once in awhile. 

They said they had used it for storage for years,and anything in there we wanted we could have. Well most everything was just junk, but he found well over 100 vintage canning jars. They were beyond filthy, but a week or so ago, we had temps in the 50's so we pre washed the jars outside to get them clean of yuck, then brought them in to wash in good hot soapy water. 

I kept some to use, and kept some that are of some value, going back over 100 years old. Listed the rest on FB garage sale sites, and should make $150 on them when picked up tomorrow. 

So I think I actually went backward on the purge, as I kept maybe 30 jars, but some are usable for my yearly canning, others are quite collectible (ebay prices on them range in the over $20 each range) that I will either use in decor or sell off eventually. 

I love when purging makes some money, and for those who have wondered if they should try and sell some things. there are a number of choices for many of you, from consignments, to ebay, to craigslist, to Facebook garage sale sites local to you, to apps like offer up and some others. 

I think it depends on the time and effort you wish to put in, what you consider 'good' money made for your time etc. but I will continue to share here what I make, just to give those contemplating some idea of what they might want (or not want!) to do. So far, since last February when I started I'm at about $2000 in sold things I was going to purge anyway. 

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

1/17 - Re: the spice racks I mentioned on the 15th, I decided to go through and check the dates on all those jars. From what I can tell, they are dated 1979-2017. I pulled 10 that were dated 1979-2007 to toss. However, many (about 21) don't have dates. Some have price stickers or have price stamps, I imagine those are very old. Not sure what to do. If I get rid of all except the 1 or 2 that are BB 2017, I will be able to relocate those and get rid of the 2 racks as well. (31 items gone so far)

What would you all do?

@Eager2Learn- I’d pick them all up and hurl them ALL into the trash can. Done in 10 seconds or less. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@Eager2Learn: you asked. I would toss everything.

I went through linens and candles today: one box of each. I collect good damask napkins. They take up very little room. I will press them all this weekend. I may keep all for now (about 24-30 ) but will not look to add to the collection, especially since I just picked up 8 beautiful, brand new Irish linen hem stitched napkins. Same for the candles. I could probably part with one to gift if need be, but I will not even steal a glace at any more candles! I just burned one large Wood Wick candle to completion this week and will continue to enjoy burning more throughout the winter. 

Trash pickup today, so did the weekly fridge purge.

While I am sure I could be parting with more, I am satisfied with what I am purging and what I am keeping for now.

At this rate my decluttering efforts may be completed by the end of the month- certainly before the end of February. One area remains untouched since the move to purge and organize: one 4x6 area of the basement. I will need to go through the contents of all the boxes- probably about 9 total. As I have not used the contents of these boxes, I imagine most of it can go.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio   Your posts on this topic have been very helpful to me.  I'm in the process of going through each room of my rental two story row house and giving things that belong together the right spot in the area they belong in and tossing or giving away excess good items.  

Haven't been able to do much this week because the heat stopped working last Thursday night so workers have been in and out all week testing the system.  Winds up a new compressor is being installed tomorrow morning, thank goodness, before temps drop severely in DC to ten degrees Sunday night into the Monday Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King holiday on Monday.

Have plans for the weekend that take me out of the house so can't start again in earnest until Tuesday, but I have made progress, thanks to you and others who have been posting your methods and ideas.