Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

More of a clean out rather than a purge.  Last week, I tackled the master bathroom cabinet and drawers, and ended up with a large bag of old and useless products, thought I would have a practically empty cabinet, not so, wonder how everything I tossed ever fit into that cabinet, lol.  I am a champion crammer.

I found around seven large boxes of Refresh that I didn't know I had, and DH had just bought two more because I thought I was out, terrible, lol.

What I have to do this year, is toss all of the bits and pieces that belong to who knows what, just sitting around in containers, being moved over and over again, have to just close my eyes and dump.

Respected Contributor

Already a lot so far!  My husband is furloughed with the Gov shut down so we have put the time to good use and continued to clear out and organize the attic and everything else for that matter!  Most recently purged would include: a ceiling fan, a ceiling light fixture, clothing, toys, shoes, placemats, holiday decorations and cosmetics.  I love the feeling of opening a drawer or a closet and seeing everything neatly in its place and not overstuffed.  Bliss!

Honored Contributor

I just finished shredding bank statements from various banks. The 2017 statements. I always keep one full year of statements and shred every January and today was the day. 

We’re going to recycling tomorrow and I wanted to get it done so I could take the shreddy stuff with us. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Decluttered the fridge, does that count?  I did have to pitch a vintage dessert bowl that had a crack down the side....darn, it was my grandma's....you could shoot a canon thru my fridge, I must go to the grocery store.  I have not been there since 2 days before Christmas.......

Valued Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Since I accomplished MegaPurge in 2018, I am working on small scale but consistent purging at present. For January, it's 31 days of Purging, no matter how great or small as it all adds up. Today I just went through some drawers and tossed into trash or recycling: a box of envelopes, several empty pill bottles and two old taper candles.

My larger areas to address this winter are: winter clothing, garage, basement and pantry. These are perennial areas that probably need to be done at least twice a year.

On the plus side, I am really enjoying my tidy, organized home. It takes just minutes to clean every morning, which is how I start most days.

I am also re-reading Peter Walsh's book, It's All Too Much!, as I do every January. I have another of his books on it's way to me this week. Motivation. That, and watching Hoarders. I can't sit still and watch that show! Must open a drawer or a closet, run the vacuum, etc.

Thank you so much for the recommendation!  This sounds exactly like what I need!  Can you believe I move stuff from my mothers house 1700 miles away that are sitting in my garage and spare for for 3 YEARS!  Just ordered the kindle version!

Esteemed Contributor

Peter Walsh's Day 7 challenge is cleaning under the bathroom sink, so I just finished cleaning under both sinks and in the closet of the master bath. Tossed several items, located others. My previously edited stash of beauty & bath is still too big, but it is now neater and more organized. Found 3 toilet cleaning gels-why??

Weather permitting, I will be out most of the day tomorrow, but I spent quite a lot of time purging and organizing today.

Honored Contributor

I've been using up travel size hair care/personal care items that I had just used for travel, we don't really travel anymore, so what am I saving them for? I finished one up yesterday and started a new one today (a gift from my stylist) and I don't think I like it, but will try again for a few days, if I still don't like it, it will be tossed and another pulled out.
We've had unusually nice warm weather lately, so as long as that lasts, I'm not starting any major purging projects as I spend time outdoors when possible.
We also were gone all day today, so nothing done on the home front today.
"To each their own, in all things".
Regular Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@coffeegal wrote:

I did some more purging this week. I got rid of all of my old spices.

I also got rid of boxes left from Christmas.

We had a horrible flood on August the 31st. Our entire newly remodeled basement had flooded do to heavy rains that night.. We are no where near a flood zone, so our insurance company would not pay for anything. So not intending to purge things there, it had to be. Hopefully we will be able to get some repairs done soon. 

@coffeegal

Oh I am so sorry to hear this! We sit very low where we are, and while our home has not flooded (we did have a basement full of water after a once in a 100 year kind of rainfall, but it was a drainage issue that we have since fixed), it is a constant worry for us. We never saw the potential when we bought this place and it nags at me terribly here, some of the rushing water we have dealt with on the property and close to the house. 

To me flooding issues can be as devastating as fire and tornadoes. And like you point out, getting insurance to cover things is tricky and in my opinion a rip off for how much insurance costs. 

I hope you are back to 'normal' as quickly as possible, and the economic effects of it all aren't too terrible. 

Thank you. It has just been horrible and something that I do not want to go through again.We did not put up a Christmas tree or decorate at all this year. Everything that we could salvage was upstairs in our living room. We were able to get a loan through the SBA.. We received it s few days before Christmas. My husband is doing it peace meal meaning that he is hiring someone to put the walls up, another one to do the painting, another for the floors.etc etc. He has just hired someone for the walls and as soon as we get the formal paperwork he will sign it and the repairs will start,, this cant be over soon enough.. It has been a nightmare. Thank you for writing back.

Honored Contributor

This morning on the today show ,they were talking about a show coming soon , i forgot her name ,she is a tiny Japanese lady ,that will help with organizing, on netflix.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

This morning on the today show ,they were talking about a show coming soon , i forgot her name ,she is a tiny Japanese lady ,that will help with organizing, on netflix.

@goldensrbestMarie Kondo? My only issue with her tips for decluttering is that she tells her clients to ask themselves if they find joy in something before deciding to throw it out. Quite frankly, I don't find much joy in inanimate objects so her theories are lost on me. I prefer Don Aslett...