Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I have taken a bag of clothes to the Salvation Army and I have tossed a few makeup products that I know I will not use. These products were still good but too old to give to someone. 

It is time again to start working on the excess and it will be my focus this year.  Every time I declutter, I think I will use something only to find a few years later, I still have touched it. So this year, I will make an effort to use things, like kitchen gadgets, and if I find I don’t really need it, out it will go. It is really just time to right size my surroundings. 

Respected Contributor

I finished filing my loose papers yesterday and did a bit more shredding. Dumped the shredder again yesterday.  I think I'm done in the filing cabinets for now. Maybe I'll do a bit more in a few weeks, I have to do this stuff in stages. I cannot stand sitting with papers for hours on end. 

I burned my last candle and tossed the jar it came in. Now I just have my wax melter which I like better. 

Honored Contributor

I just got home from Goodwill. I dropped off a large shopping bag filled with odds and ends. We also donated two dvd holder stand thingys which we’ve had for years. I’ve substantially reduced the amount of dvd’s we have and we just didn’t need them anymore. 

We replaced it with a small Tommy Hilfiger shelf/table thing that we got at Home Goods this morning. I added a few baskets for the shelves (from Container Store) and put the dvds in those. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I decluttered some makeup products that were problematic. A Philosophy blending brush from almost 20 years ago that was shedding. A Physicians Formula contour kit that always irritates my cheeks and a color corrector cushion which did nothing for me. A Wet N Wild cushion foundation that also did not show up on my skin and made me oily. Two lipsticks that are too opaque as I prefer a sheerer, glossy finish. I had been holding onto these products for almost 2 years trying to make them work. 

Honored Contributor

My only remaing purge is old documents.  I have stacks/foldersboxes of papers that need to be gone through and shredded.  (I have a shredder.)

Hope to get started this week.

Trusted Contributor

When I rip a recipe out of a magazine, I dump it in a pile "to be filed".  Well, that pile was getting too high and I don't even know what's in there.  Don't need 6 recipes for the same recipe AND then look it up online.  So I went thru my 2 recipe books, dumped what needed to go and filed what I wanted to keep.  Now I just have to cook all these recipes!

Today, I went thru more drawers/papers around my desk, and dumped old brown Q envelopes - what am I keeping them for??  Also threw out old Apple phone boxes, etc.   I still had VCR blank tapes ... hello 1993!

Lots more to do!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I stay on top of my cubbards, refrigerator and medicine cabinets, too, but everyone once in a while something sneaks into the back.

My baking powder expired in 2016.  That must have been the last time I baked Christmas cookies because I always buy a new can when I start my holiday baking.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@ rnmom
I shredded papers that DS left when moving out 3years ago. After emptying twice it stopped working/-/ oh my! I let it rest awhile snd cleared out cutters. Works again. I felt better. Now I need to attack my papers.
Honored Contributor

We shopped, and purchased new recliners yesterday, brought them home with us, happy to say, the old ones are gone, all in the same day, lol. This morning I took all my recyclables in, had a lot this week. But forgot, again, to take the 2 tops to drop off at the donations center. It's ok though, as I am generally out that direction at least once or twice per week. Maybe I'll have more to donate by then.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I put the first Tignanello purse I ever purchased in the garbage yesterday.   Everything about that bag looked brand new except the vinyl handles.  

The handles looked fine when I switched out bags 2 weeks ago, but when I set this bag down Friday night, I noticed both handles had cracked in the center.   That was my sign, so into the trashbag it went.