Trusted Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

Does finishing my bottle of New Year’s champagne count?!  (1999 Gosset Grande Millesime)

Yesterday, I gave 3 baking cookbooks to one of the medical assistants at my oncologist; she had told me her 10 year old daughter wants to bake and is looking forward to baking together; having very fond memories of baking with my mother,

it was so much more rewarding to give some of the first in my latest cookbook purge to her, rather than the big box to donate anonymously.  

I had the good news that my husband is will be out of the country for a few weeks so, I have another opportunity to make progress without second guessing.  

(I understand when it is his stuff or household stuff to question getting rid of but, when it is my personal items!!!)  

I also have found a charity thrift shop near me that will accept some of my decorative items such as plates and Fenton. 

I won’t need to wrap and pack as well as I would if taken to the Goodwill drop off where we usually take things and be able to walk some of the items there which means I will also be getting a bit more exercise too, in addition to saving the wrapping headache and time.  (And if I go in the afternoon, it’s only a few blocks from my favourite wine bar!)

Happy New Year and Pleasant Purging to you all. 

Respected Contributor

@trenet- absolutely champagne counts! Everything counts! Hee Hee!

I spent a small bit of time yesterday going thru some of the drawers and closet in my older son's room. We found one toy and one board game to donate.

Sent 15 or 16 magazines to the recycle bin, along with about 3 empty boxes. Tossed an old pair of shoes and the usual small odds and ends that I find in their rooms.

I knew we wouldn't do a lot of purging, but I just mostly wanted to neaten things up a bit while they were still off on vacation. I did my younger son's room earlier in the week. We didn't look at clothes at all, wll probably do that again in the summer when the season changes.

I also sorted thru my folder with all my restaurant coupons and tossed all the old expired ones. 

Frequent Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Omgosh!  I'm a serial purger!  I could probably keep this thread up and running all on my own.  So far, THIS YEAR... I purged two boxes of documents that I've been collecting for years. I put all my important docs in one binder + a handful of hanging folders.  Everything else is going to the shredder.  It feels wonderful!

Nice! I am constantly purging too but  now that I am moving (to LA) I realize how much stuff I still have. As I am packing I am getting rid of even more in the process. What is your criteria for keeping documents? I still have some documents to go through - tax returns etc, to keep in the safe or shred. All the appliance booklets etc for the house I will leave for the new owners. I have gotten rid of most magazines and recipe clippings as well.

Honored Contributor

@nmurray wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

Omgosh!  I'm a serial purger!  I could probably keep this thread up and running all on my own.  So far, THIS YEAR... I purged two boxes of documents that I've been collecting for years. I put all my important docs in one binder + a handful of hanging folders.  Everything else is going to the shredder.  It feels wonderful!

Nice! I am constantly purging too but  now that I am moving (to LA) I realize how much stuff I still have. As I am packing I am getting rid of even more in the process. What is your criteria for keeping documents? I still have some documents to go through - tax returns etc, to keep in the safe or shred. All the appliance booklets etc for the house I will leave for the new owners. I have gotten rid of most magazines and recipe clippings as well.

you can look that up

there are guidelines on tax returns, in fact I am looking at boxes from my Mother's estate-----

Honored Contributor

I am not off to a good start this year. Congrats to everyone who is busily purging things. I need to get moving on this myself. I did the backwards hanger thing last spring, I think, and I have a bunch of hangers that are still backwards, so I have decided that each item will be worn one more time and I will then make the determination. I wore a top yesterday from a backwards hanger, it is in the laundry and will be donated. I just don't care for it now, and probably was a mistake in purchasing it. So this will be a slow process, but will be a more streamlined closet in the long run. I also sorted through my chairside table/bombay chest, and cleared out some odd items, although some of those things were just moved to a more suitable location, a couple things tossed and some papers shredded. Will be disposing of two recliners soon, but those will be replaced, so not really clearing out space on this. Hoping I become more motivated soon.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@trenet
I like your way of thinking.
Now if you combine that afternoon walk to thrift store when your husband is gone you can have a second glass of wine and not have to cook dinner.
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I am not off to a good start this year. Congrats to everyone who is busily purging things. I need to get moving on this myself. I did the backwards hanger thing last spring, I think, and I have a bunch of hangers that are still backwards, so I have decided that each item will be worn one more time and I will then make the determination. I wore a top yesterday from a backwards hanger, it is in the laundry and will be donated. I just don't care for it now, and probably was a mistake in purchasing it. So this will be a slow process, but will be a more streamlined closet in the long run. I also sorted through my chairside table/bombay chest, and cleared out some odd items, although some of those things were just moved to a more suitable location, a couple things tossed and some papers shredded. Will be disposing of two recliners soon, but those will be replaced, so not really clearing out space on this. Hoping I become more motivated soon.

the backwards hanger thing really is an eyeopener isn't it?

still have somethings I haven't touched,  debating even though I have done a major cleanout,  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear, yes, it's definitely an eyeopener. In all honesty, I probably could just bag them all up and donate now, lol, but I will give each another chance to live on, in my closet.
"To each their own, in all things".
Regular Contributor

I did some more purging this week. I got rid of all of my old spices.

I also got rid of boxes left from Christmas.

We had a horrible flood on August the 31st. Our entire newly remodeled basement had flooded do to heavy rains that night.. We are no where near a flood zone, so our insurance company would not pay for anything. So not intending to purge things there, it had to be. Hopefully we will be able to get some repairs done soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

I need to go slower and more mindfully when purging this year in order to further pare down.

While looking for something this morning, I found a paper from my accountant written last year in reference to my payment schedule for quarterly taxes. Taxes?! seems I forgot all about paying third quarter state and federal taxes, and fourth quarter is due in ten days. In addition, it seems I paid only state tax for the second quarter. Second and third quarters coincided with the sale of my previous house and the purchase of the present one. Bad timing! I knew where I kept the papers in my old place, but where the heck are they here? Not in my desk, but I looked in a drawer with other important papers, and there were my tax payment vouchers. They will go out tomorrow. Woman does not live by purging alone! Only had time today to pull three books that I will not read again and a very realistic toy gun that belonged to DS. Surrendered that to the local police station.

Forecast for tomorrow is for rain, so I expect there will be purging to report.