Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

Ever have duplicates? I found a make up item that I thought I had lost. It had been pushed to the back and covered by another item. I bought a new one a month ago so I'l keep it and donate the other.

Debating whether to keep something you haven't used in months? If it is easily bought again then say good-bye to it. If you can't do that then put it in a "six month" box and anything not used in six months is already boxed and ready to go. If you invested money in an item, that money is already gone whether used or not so just keeping it doesn't help you financially if not used.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

I tossed a pillow that seemed unfluffable. (Took months to do the deed.). DH donated more than 10 suits and or sports jackets. We hope they went to appreciative recipients.,,,yes, we have trouble letting go. My his Closet has lots more room!
Honored Contributor

I try to stay on top of my cupboards, I really do.  I discovered black pepper with an expiration date from a year or so ago and cringed.  I've since replaced it. 

That got me looking at everything in my cupboards again as well as my medicine chest.  Found a small expired bottle of Aleve.  I also noticed that my small bottles of alcohol and hydrogen peroxides are beyond their date in the main bathroom.  I'll replace them this week. 

Feel better now that I've gone through everything again and will make sure I find replacements with expiration dates as far in the future as I can get them.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Several pairs of jeans; several pairs of shoes; Temptations red and white polka-dot dishes - service for 4; 2 T-shirts; a D&Co. cardigan; a few cleaners that I don't use anymore; some hangers; a shower curtain; a decorative wall hook. I've been purging intermittently for a year or 2 and have more dishes and clothes to go. As I update with new furniture I'm purging the old, and I won't finish with furniture until next year.

Respected Contributor

Tossed a tube of zinc oxide rash cream that expired in 2013! I don't usually keep expired items around for THAT long, must have missed it. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm having my small bedroom closet redesigned by California Closets this week. As a result, I'm going to carefully sort through everything before I put items back into the closet. I know that there are some capri pants, blouses, and a few blazers I'll be purging. Then my newly organized and more efficient closet will look even better! I also know that in my dresser I have some casual tops I haven't worn in a few years, so those will probably depart as well in addition to about 5 pairs of shoes.

Honored Contributor

I took several things to consignment yesterday- 3 sweaters, a pair of shoes, some brand new socks (3 pairs), brand new gloves (2 pairs) and one purse. Oh and a mini wallet/card holder thingy. 

If it ever stops raining I have a shopping bag of stuff ready to take to Goodwill. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Just a few things this week, including a shower curtain and a couple pairs of socks. Re- homed items while cleaning out drawers to where they belong. Decided to start small, then on to the always big clutter locations: basement and garage.

Right now enjoying that the living room, dining room, powder room and entry are as clutter free as they are going to be until probably next January. Cleaned out one drawer this morning; will do another one or two later today. Will spend some time Mon through Sat throughout the month of January decluttering a selected area- Probably February as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I finished my clothing closet in the master bedroom.  I am very happy this job is done.  It is the perfect cure for shopping.  I donated lots, some with the tags still on them.  Oh my🙄.

So far I have stripped the Christmas decorations and found more accessible storage for them, done my linen closet after changing from a king to a queen bed in the master bedroom and now the clothing closet.

The two big hits remaining to do are the linen closet in the laundry room (tablecloths, placemats, dishtowels and cloths, light bulbs, detergents) and the pantry.  Next week I think!  

It’s great to read everyone’s progress.  It is keeping me motivated.  LM

Honored Contributor

Omgosh!  I'm a serial purger!  I could probably keep this thread up and running all on my own.  So far, THIS YEAR... I purged two boxes of documents that I've been collecting for years. I put all my important docs in one binder + a handful of hanging folders.  Everything else is going to the shredder.  It feels wonderful!

~ house cat ~