Frequent Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

As I was gearing up to pack all my cookbooks, I felt compelled to let so many go. I am a lifelong collector and love my books but it was time. If I wasn't moving and downsizing, I am certain I would not have gotten rid of so many. I love the feel of living in a library and have wall to wall shelves that I plan to take with me - hoping I will find a place with space for all my books. I still have almost 1000 so it is a lot. I will have to be more thoughtful and budget wise going forward to maintain a smaller collection. of books and other things after having gotten rid of so much.

Honored Contributor

Took that big bone left over from the Christmas ham and made pea soup with it. Then tossed the bone out.🐖

Super Contributor

Last week I cleaned out the master bath “pantry”. I threw away all the lotions and skin care that was old. I half filled a black garbage bag so it was a lot. All I could think was what a waste of money. I’m trying to only buy as we run out. I’m hopeful to stick with it in 2019. Also donated a couple of blankets and several coffee mugs.

Valued Contributor

In 2018 I made 4 large donations to my favorite charity - Jesus Ministry - here in Houston. I call them the Jesus People. I’m getting another box started this week. My husband is cleaning his office. I got rid of old clothes, some kitchen items. We’ll be cleaning out the garage and storage unit in the next couple of months. I’m sure there will be things to get rid of. Always a good feeling and love that it will help someone else. 

Esteemed Contributor

Got rid of an old Christmas tree, end tables that were chipped and we donated

an old recliner that was only slightly worn.

Feels good now to have some extra space. Going to try my best to keep clearing

stuff out that it is January and I have more time with the holidays over.

Trusted Contributor

As I am not working right now, I'm using the time to go thru "stuff".  

Today I went thru my makeup drawers.  Separated samples in baggies to be used for travel sizes, dumped what looked scuzzy.  From the old Bare Escentuals days, I have enough makeup brushes to take to my next life.  

Yesterday I started on my little storage room.  Trashed a lot of Christmas boxes/bags that had seen better days.  Tomorrow I will continue in that room.  Then move on to the next room.

I will donate some of the unopened make up and clothing to a local women's shelter.  I have books to donate to my local library.  And I have some Jim Shore & Christopher Radko items I would really like to sell.  I will have to look into that.

Super Contributor

LOVE that concept... I am working on it. I dont know why it is so hard to give things up, but I  am doing so because clutter is nobodies friend.  It truly hampers so much! SO I  got rid of an old black fly away  cardi from Target that i have worn to death and I have a ton of nice ones. Makes no sense at all, want to make sure it gets used....der dumb!!!

Super Contributor

And Pook, you can buy more this way...just kidding.

Esteemed Contributor

Closets, closets, closets...that is my job this year.  I have decided to do master bedroom closets.  I did shoes and shelves yesterday.  Good start.  LM

Respected Contributor

I finished another book and added it to my donation box. 

I also worked on some filing yesterday and shredded some papers. Usually toward the beginning of the year I will work on some purging and shredding. Handling papers is one of my least favorite things to do, yuck.

I dumped the shredder twice, but I still have a bit more to do there.