Esteemed Contributor

I've got a large deck (12' x 48').  It is also 32 years old and showing it's age.  Now, I like patina, but this is crossing the line into dereliction.

I'm thinking about not replacing it (there will be a need for stairs to the back yard) and just parking my lawn chairs on the ground.  Or I could do a patio.  I'm just tired of the maintenance that decks require.  

I'd love to hear about how well the composite decks hold up, and clean up, because that is one option I am also looking at.   $$$ here we come!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Re: Deck, Patio, or Nothing?

@Sweetbay magnolia  I am in the same position as you. Do not know what to do so as of now I am doing nothing. In my area whomever is redoing  their deck are choosing the composite decks coming down into a patio. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in a condo, (with a deck)...but this is food for thought...if I were to have a home..

I think I'd prefer a patio. I think it's easier care, and nice to have. It's what my home growing up had it was nicer than a deck...land level, flowers around it.

I guess a patio is less care than a deck which needs staining, yearly cleaning etc.

I do love a front porch though too.

Some homes the way they are built, the land they are on, the height of the home...may require a deck.  But, I'm liking the idea of a patio. That's my vote!

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   I had a screened in porch with a small deck built with composite decking at least ten years ago.  It still looks brand new.  I would definitely recommend it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia  I am in the same position as you. Do not know what to do so as of now I am doing nothing. In my area whomever is redoing  their deck are choosing the composite decks coming down into a patio. 

Our condo complex redid all the decks a few years back, enlarging them too... we also switched to composite...much nicer and wears better, lasts longer.

Contributor

Look into a stamped concrete patio. I have always liked the look of those.

Respected Contributor

Our old wood deck was so much work having to stain it every couple years, replacing boards due to cracking, etc. and still not looking great.  So about three years ago we had it torn off and replaced with Trex decking (had to have the supports replaced too due to the requirements for that type of decking). It was pricey but so worth it.  Best money we spent on our house. Easy to care for and looks nice every year with minimum cleaning in the spring. 

Respected Contributor

We have a large back porch -not a deck - in dire need of replacement. We are going with composite wood. The Timber tech company had 3 options. 25 year, 30 year, or 50 year warranty. We went with the 30 year one.work is finally starting the middle of the month. Wood prices went up so much that composite wood wasn't much more in cost. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In Arizona we call them balcony's or walk deck. We get to ours through the master bedroom upstairs. We have one that is extremely well built but we did have the floor redone (it has an actual floor, not just boards) a couple of years ago. Ours looks like part of the house not a separate deck so everything matches. It has a regular floor, iron railings and stucco to match the house. Other than periodic painting of the house that is all that we have had done to it.

Honored Contributor

We have a composite deck out the back door and about six steps down there is a patio made out of some paver stones or blocks, not sure what they are called. Neither the deck or patio require much work at all. Husband may have power washed the deck once.